Record to DVD

dgjones10

Standard Member
Reaction score
Some years ago I had a DVD recorder which I used to copy from Sky +. It had scart connections and I placed the DVD Recorder between the Sky + box and the TV.
I played the recorded program on Sky + and pressed record on the DVD Recorder.
This worked for years but last year the DVD recorder packed up, it didn't recognize any blank discs.
Shortly after the Sky + box also failed.
I now have a Huawei YouView box with its HDMI connection.
Does any one know of a simple DVD recorder which will work in the same way with the signal passing through on the way to the TV.

Last edited:
Some years ago I had a DVD recorder which I used to copy from Sky +. It had scart connections and I placed the DVD Recorder between the Sky + box and the TV.
I played the recorded program on Sky + and pressed record on the DVD Recorder.
This worked for years but last year the DVD recorder packed up, it didn't recognize any blank discs.
Shortly after the Sky + box also failed.
I now have a Huawei YouView box with its HDMI connection.
Does any one know of a simple DVD recorder which will work in the same way with the signal passing through on the way to the TV.

HDMI inputs on recorders are forbidden.

DVD recorders rely on scart inputs and all have them.

I don't know the Huawei box in any detail, but provided it has an analogue output of some sort ( gradually disappearing on modern equipment ) then you will be able to feed that into the scart input of any DVD recorder.

If you still have the DVD recorder, have you tried using a DVD lens cleaner? - these are widely available and might allow you to use blank discs again.

I believe the Huawei has a SCART output which should solve most of your problems.

PS Of course what Youview should have done is specify backup files to external hard disc, even if they could not be played back unless through the original recorder as with the Humax HD/R models.

Forbidden by whom,

Does this carry the weight of Law or is it just an internal manufacturers agreement?

Licensing restriction.

If a manufacturer wants to include the various technologies that make these machines possible then they have to comply with the license requirements demanded by the license holders.

Given that the law tends to back vested interest, I dare say that in effect, these limitations are backed by law also.

Licensing restriction.

If a manufacturer wants to include the various technologies that make these machines possible then they have to comply with the license requirements demanded by the license holders.

Given that the law tends to back vested interest, I dare say that in effect, these limitations are backed by law also.

Oh dear thats not really quite right, I would point out :

1. All free UK tv, standard def and high def is broadcast unencrypted, this applies to terrestrial and satellite.
2. In order to force manufacturers to encrypt recordings AFTER they are received and limit copying they transmit the EPG data in an obscured manner which legally they need to sign up to copy prevention to be able to use the EPG data.

So any kit from big manufacturers and kit from the shop labelled Youview, Freesat* and Freeview* will enforce copy prevention. * In the case of Freesat and Freeview most boxes only prevent HD recordings being copied and allow standard def, the latest boexes seem to be heading towards complete prevention.

However its very, very easy to record standard def and HD broadcasts in ORIGINAL DIGITAL QUALITY by a number of means, including :
1. Using a PC and a TV card, there are many programs that support this.
2. Load hacked firmware onto certain Freeview & Freesat boxes, e.g. Humax ones have been widely hacked.
3. Use a "generic" TV receiver that doesn't have Freeview/Freesat/Youview branding

Using option 2 or 3 you can transfer recordings onto your PC then onto DVD.

Downside with #3 is that (generally) the unit, when you get it, will not be able to use the Freeview/Freesat EPG data. But fact is that the BBC did such a bad job obscuring the EPG data that MANY people have worked out how to decode it.

So personally I have a Youview recorder and I also have a generic satellite recorder that runs software called Enigma 2, I just downloaded a "plugin" that decodes the EPG data onto it. Bit of a pain having two boxes, but a good mix for me. I transfer recordings to my PC and use free software to turn them into mp4 files, I don't bother making DVDs - I have a network disk that I keep all these films on instead, my blu-ray player plays the films straight from the network disk.

From a legal point of view, I have done nothing wrong in any of the above, I sleep safe knowing I did not break any laws or copyright in this, so long as I use the recordings for personal use only. There used to be a 28 day limit on keeping recordings, I understand that the current legislation does not have any specific time restriction.

Added advantage - films can be played on all PCs, tablets, phones in the house and can be transferred onto these devices for offline viewing e.g. on a train to work. Its all legal, the film has been openly transmitted to the whole country and legally recorded.

See this forum http://www.avforums.com/forums/satellite-tv/ for info on such satellite recorders, there are terrestrial TV equivalents, but they are more rare.

Last edited:
I have always been able to record the output of freeview and sky boxes on my Panasonic DVD recorder, irrespective of the content or transmission quality. I just connect the two together with a scart cable.

However, I am unable to do this on the Huawei TalkTalk YouView box I recently purchased. The recorder comes up with "No Rec" and the TV display says "The Recording of this material is not allowed".

It would appear then, that the standard terrestial channels which should, quite legally, be available for recording, have been processed by YouView to prevent this.

Surely the recording of these channels should be allowed, as it is with freeview and sky?

However, I am unable to do this on the Huawei TalkTalk YouView box I recently purchased. The recorder comes up with "No Rec" and the TV display says "The Recording of this material is not allowed".

Is that limitation with on-demand and catch-up material ( which is to be expected)... or is it all material?

Oh dear thats not really quite right, I would point out : ....

You seem to be addressing a completely different agenda and much wider issue here.

The question was about HDMI input limitations on recorders.

You seem to be addressing a completely different agenda and much wider issue here.

The question was about HDMI input limitations on recorders.

True, I'm probably answering a slightly different question and wrt recording from HDMI output I believe you are correct.

So the on-topic response should have been - don't look to record the hdmi output just grab the original digital recording and burn that on your PC.

No - just the normal freeview channels.

Have you tried finding an answer on the main YouView forum?

I don't know if I'm allowed to post a link to it.

But it's a multi-platform user forum with lots of support and advice. They may be able to help. As what you have posted just doesn't sound right.

No - just the normal freeview channels.

Sorry to come back again... but can you clarify further.

What you say implies that you CAN copy from on demand and catch up... but cannot copy from Freeview... Is that right?

Or perhaps you have only tested so far trying to copy from freeview and have found you cannot copy?

Hi Swedish Cook

Interesting ideas about recording - but I wanted to ask you whether you link the satellite to the youview box?

Also would a Roxio HD game capture work with the youview box? Would it be able to capture the HD picture onto a laptop to record as well as the sound by connecting the back of the you view box to the game capture?

Thanks

Tito

Hi Swedish Cook

Interesting ideas about recording - but I wanted to ask you whether you link the satellite to the youview box?

That would be one very long lead :D

(All but the latest) Sky boxes output analogue UHF which is combined with the broadcast UHF signals so if they are sent to a YV box, only the broadcast digital services would be receivable. They do not have analogue tuners so you have to "daisychain" to the TV using the RF passthrough out on the YV box if you have a distant Sky box running.

Hi Swedish cook

Sorry for the long wait for this. What about using an HDPVR 2 to record from a youview box??
So I would connect the youview box to the HDPVR and then the HDPVR to the laptop. Image and audio transmits through to the HDPVR and to the laptop?

WOuld that work??

Regards and merry xmas

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom