1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Record Terrestrial - Watch Sky! Possible?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Thrower, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Thrower

Thrower

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

Quick question which I'm certain you'll be able to answer quickly:

I've got a Pani DMR-E85R - Can I record Terrestrial TV while watching Sky?

I can't believe that I can only watch what I'm recording!

Thanks in advance.

2. FLINTOFF

FLINTOFF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    U should be able 2 watch sky while recording terrestrail tv . Depends how u have it wired up i suppose if u have sky going through recorder then u need 2 turn sky off set recorder 2 record then turn sky on if u watch through the recorder then the recorder will have priority over sky does this make sense

3. Thrower

Thrower

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That sounds good.

I'll give it a try.

Thanks.

4. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    That'll not work as the TV will pick up the output of the DVDR via your SCART (assuming it's that that's being used ), so you'll end up watching the program your recording.
    You need to use the second SCART output of your Sky box to another SCART input on the TV.
    Of course, presuming this is don via SCARTs and not RF, then the set-up will look like this:
    Sky (SCART) DVDR (SCART) TV, SKY (SCART2) TV, and Sky (RF) TV.
    This is how you can watch terrestrial whilst recording satellite, and vice versa, although anything recorded off terrestrial will not be as good as via the SCART, unless the input on the Panasonic is not RGB or S-Video. If it's like previous gen DVDRs such as JVC, it'll be composite and the difference will no minimal, if any.

Only when twin tuner satellite/cable boxes come out will you be able to dispense with the RF feed for channels 1-5.