Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Record problems since "rewind" update?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by TimD, Jan 2, 2003.

Tags:
  1. TimD

TimD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My sky+ box has been having alsorts of problems recording lately - Around half the programmes seem to fail about 5 minutes in, with "reception problems".

For example, I've just tried recording and watching the same programme - the "live" broadcast was fine, but the recording failed again.

These problems seem to have started at about the same time as the auto-rewind update, although that could be coincidence - the weather has been pretty terrible just lately.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Tim

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    What are the singal levels like on both inputs?
    Swap them over and see if you start to lose the "live" viewing as well as the recorded material.

3. TimD

TimD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cheers, I'll give it a go...

I guess if the "record" sat feed is poor, then it's a cable problem, rather than an alignment problem?

Is it possible for the cable to have become slightly unplugged from the LNB?

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    There have been some instances where the connection between the cable and the LNB have not been sealed correctly which over time allows water to enter and damage the cable. The result is of course poor signal conductivity which will eventually result in picture breakup or "no signal received" messages.

It could also by a problem with the LNB itself, it houses foue independent units and the one connected to input 2 might be failing. Simply connecting it to another of the outputs might cure the problem but of course if you are still under warranty it should be looked at and replaced.

It might be worth turnign off "instant rewind" just to see if the added load on the hard drive is a possible problem, also what is your Live Pause like?

5. TimD

TimD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Live pause has always worked fine, I can't say that I've used it in the last couple of weeks though.

I've got a few things to test out tonight, thanks for the suggestions :)

Tim

6. TimD

TimD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well, I've narrowed it down to a cable or LNB problem - I've been on the phone to sky most of this evening.

Looks like the problem developed just in time - I bought the sky+ box a year ago next week :)

Cheers for your help.
    Tim