Record in standby ??

keepingup

Novice Member
Hi, Newbie here,

A proud owner of a superb 55" LG OLED that records live TV on USB but won't record scheduled programmes in standby ? I wonder if LG monitor this site and would respond. Everything else exceeds expectations but a TV that only records when it's on ??? What's the point in scheduling ? Serious failure in otherwise technically superb TV
Perhaps if enough owners complain the software might be up dated. I'm not holding my breath

chenks

i doubt LG monitor this forum.
but recording should be fine whilst in standby.

is the USB device you are using powered? because the USB ports themselves don't provide power when the TV is in standby, so any USB connected device will need to have it's own power.

keepingup

Novice Member
i doubt LG monitor this forum.
but recording should be fine whilst in standby.

is the USB device you are using powered? because the USB ports themselves don't provide power when the TV is in standby, so any USB connected device will need to have it's own power.
Thanks, interesting comment. USB is just a stick but I can fit it to hub to power it and try again.

chenks

if it's just a USB then of course it won't work as when the TV is in standby the power to the USB ports is killed - as one would expect.

chenks

might depend on the model, but the CX kills power to the USB once in standby.
it can be clearly seen if you power LED lights from the USB, they turn off once the TV is in standby.

lee1980

My LG C8 does record in standby to on a usb non-powered stick. Its actually on a usb extension cable as tv is so tight to wall I can't get my hand to add or remove!

John7

But surely the TV would have to power up the USB in standby to record a scheduled programme?

OP, what model TV do you have?

chenks

one might say that if the TV is recording then it's not technically in standby anyway, it must be awake to able to records, it just just doesn't power up the screen during those periods.

so, is the OPs TV actually in standby during this period? does it record fine when not in standby? does it record fine with a powered USB device in either mode?

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
My LG will record in standby, but recordings to USB sticks would always fail at about 18 minutes in. HDD recording was better, in that programmes were recorded, but with chunks missing. When I asked LG about this they told me that recording in standby isn’t supported. No idea if they were just talking about my TV, or LG TVs in general. LG support is pretty hopeless at the best of times though. These forums are more help, in my experience.

keepingup

Novice Member
if it's just a USB then of course it won't work as when the TV is in standby the power to the USB ports is killed - as one would expect.
Yes, totally agree if it's on standby. However if you schedule a recording I would expect some power to be switched on at the scheduled time if only to enable the tuner. Surely you are not expected to leave the tv on ?

chenks

have you confirmed that recording works fine when NOT in standby? and with a powered USB device?

keepingup

Novice Member
have you confirmed that recording works fine when NOT in standby? and with a powered USB device?
Yes and no. Live recording works OK. I have a hub but am looking for lead to connect to TV. I assume it's OK to connect like this. TV in and usb in hub
Forget to state it's a LG OLED55CX5LB

chenks

oh well the USB ports definitely lose power when it's in standby.
whether they should remain powered for a recording whilst in standby - no idea.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
I don't think that many TVs are happy with USB hubs. OP: what happens if you connect the device directly to the TV? Same deal?

Canjosa

Novice Member
My LG TV has 2 USB ports, one on the back and one on the side. First, I tried the one on the back and it would only record when the TV was on and wouldn't record scheduled recordings from the TV guide. I'm recording to a Seagate powered HDD. When I switched to the USB port at the side all recording is fine...Live or scheduled on standby!! Who knew! Give it a go...it might work...

Noclue2

Novice Member
I had the same problem of scheduled recordings not happening after I switched the tv to stand by. I found that if you go to settings, general, and activate quick start+ the tv goes into a real stand by mode, and not complete off when you press the off button. Recordings then work perfectly.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom