1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

record from sky with two boxes

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by den911, Dec 22, 2004.

1. den911

den911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    having mastered my e65 set up i know that i cannot record from a sky channel and watch another . i do not have terrestal tv . i was hopeing someone could tell me if there is a way round it . would having a second sky digi box and splitting the arieal and having one box on av1 and one on av2 . i hope someone knows what i am trying to ask , thanks

2. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    What aeriel are you talking about splitting?

You can have two digiboxes if you get multiroom from Sky. However this would involve a dual LNB and a separate cable from your dish - you can't split this cable and simply feed two boxes.

The other option, as i already mentioned, is a Sky+ box instead of your ordinary digibox.

3. den911

den911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    please tell me jem if i purchase a sky + box how would i work and set up so i could watch a sat channel and record another . i would need this to happen in the same room . its like this jem i would like to watch the history channel and my wife would like to record a series on the discovery channel at the same time . i thought by purchasing a dvd recorder i could do this but i have not looked in to it i am just looking for the cheapest and easiest route . your help and advice has been apreciated previously hope you can simplyfly matters . thanks dennis

4. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The Sky+ box has a hard drive( 40GB or 160GB )and two tuners although only one decoder. This means that you can;

1. Watch one Sky channel and record the other onto the hard drive.
    2. Record two Sky channels at the same time.
    3. Record two Sky channels at the same time and watch something you have already recorded earlier - all at the same time.
    4. You can begin to watch a recording before it's finished recording.
    5. You can pause Live TV

The Sky+ box can also be connected to your DVD recorder giving you the ability to dump any Sky+ recordings onto DVD.

5. den911

den911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have contacted sky all i need to pay for is the box at £200 i presume my set up with e65 will change would i need to purchase any more cables etc . thanks dennis

6. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    As far as AV connections go, the box is a direct replacement for the old Sky digibox.
    If you are happy with the present setup just let the installer swap the boxes.

One slight difference is the Sky+ box will be capable of S-Video output which may come in useful later, but really you should be using RGB between the Sky box and E65.

7. den911

den911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that i thought i kept the two boxes just cannot work out how it all works , i have only just mastered the e65 set up . could you please tell me what the s video out is . i have a technics digital amp with loads of connections and i am not sure if i am getting full benifit from it . i love new technology and gadgets but dont no how to use them i usually find out more by luck than judgement that is why i now use this forum . thanks

8. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Once upon a time there was only black and white television. Then some bright spark thought colour TV would be nice so the boffins added a colour signal to the luminance signal(black and white) to make Composite Video.

Composite Video was great for compatibility as it allowed any TV transmitter to provide for colour TVs at the same time as Black & White TVs.

However, for good quality pictures it's better to keep the Luminance and Colour signals Separate and this is the idea behind S-Video connections.
    S-Video pictures are generally much sharper and less fuzzy than Composite. :)

9. den911

den911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that simple . but why do most video recorders including new ones not have s video outputs or is that the scart socket doing the same job as s video

10. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Most video recorders only have composite video therefore no need for s-video outputs - normally called VHS. Some are S-VHS and are more expensive.