• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Record digital while watching line 1 on sony RDR-HXD870

rich17

Standard Member
We have a cable box running into line 1 on a Sony RDR-HXD870 recorder which is in turn connected to a Sony KDL 40V3000.

To watch cable we select line 1 on the recorder with the tv on av1.

Trouble is we cannot record a digital channel on the recorder while watching cable...

Should the cable box be connected to the tv and the recorder on a splitter?

the recorder should be able to record from it's own digital receiver while routing the line in 1 to the av out.

Gavtech

Administrator
Welcome to the forum.

You will be able to watch the cable source when the DVDR is recording by forcing Scart passthrough by pressing the Channel + button on the unit itself.

It will reset automatically after recording or you can switch it back as you prefer using the same method.

Gavtech

Administrator

ramjet

Banned
you are right , it is well hidden , and I never knew about it until you mentioned it on this forum

I have finally found it in the manual , in tiny font , on page 35 in the notes on the right hand side of the page

there is plenty of room below it so it could have had its own section , and as part of the troubleshooting too , just to give it more prominence

so there you go , page 35 top right notes section

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
I assume the OP is using either a V or V+ box. The modus operandii depends on which he has. OP please tell us which cable box you are using?

rich17

Standard Member
Cheers GavTech, it works, just a shame you have to crawl about on the floor, opening doors to do it!!!

I have a stanard NTL box.

rich17

Standard Member
You're right, it IS well hidden!

the sony manual is a good example of how not write manuals!

While on the subject of attached cable boxes,

What does setting "decoder" mode in line 1 in actually do?

I didn't know that I could watch my Virgin Box whilst recording! :smashin:

Gavtech

Administrator
While on the subject of attached cable boxes,

What does setting "decoder" mode in line 1 in actually do?

It dedicates line 1 specifically for decoder use and will communicate channel change information directly to the decoder.

It's more or less obsolete and it doesn't apply in the UK.

Gavtech

Administrator
Can you run another scart lead from a second output on the cable box into av2 on the tv?

Yes... but this '3 scart' method has a drawback.

Cable and satellite boxes can only output good quality RGB from their main 'TV sockets' The other socket will only output composite quality which is much infererior.

With the '2 scart' method, using RGB passthrough, it means that all sources can be watched in RGB quality , and copying can also take place in RGB quality.

With the three scart method one of those processes has to be compromised in terms of quality.

Sean_Hale

Established Member
Ah I didn't know that cheers. That would explain why the recorded picture is not as good as the main veiwing picture. I will have aplay with some cable and see if I can make a difference.

Sean

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom