Record computer sound directly onto Camcorder?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by kennykjc, Feb 24, 2013.

1. kennykjc

kennykjc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My camcorder has an external mic connector on it, and so I'm wondering if I had a cable from there to my PC, that it would record my computer sounds onto the camera while I'm also recording video?

And if that is indeed possible, where do I plug that cable in on my computer end? I notice my soundcard has several outputs, which are:

Center/Subwoofer Speaker Out
    Rear Speaker Out
    Side Speaker Out
    Line In
    Speaker Out
    Mic In

Thanks.

2. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    You can, but you will need to drop the level, as the mic input expects a few milivolts and the PC will output a volt or 2. There are expensive devices called Beech Boxes and D/I boxes that drop the signal, but a simple cable with a couple of resistors would do the same thing. You might also need a an isolator to get rid of hum as well.

For low quality stuff, try plugging a mini jack to mini jack cable from the speaker out to mic in, but turn the level on the PC down to just a click or 2 off the bottom. There will be loads of background noise, but there should be some signal as well!

3. Bob++

Bob++

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    What is it that you actually want to do?

If you are recording games then it is best to get it directly with a screen recorder, most editing suites offer this facility I think.

If you are recording yourself doing something then why not just use the cam mike and keep the room quiet?

4. chrishull3

chrishull3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Yes i agree,its not worth risking damaging the cam,some cams used to have line inputs,sound and vision in the pre avchd card days but not now as far as i know.

5. kennykjc

kennykjc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's to record game audio. It would have a couple of benefits in that I wouldn't have to synch up the audio with some really long and split up video files.

I have major problems trying to record audio on my pc. My stereo mix doesn't work. It's enabled, primary recording device, levels are good, but it's just lifeless. As far as I'm aware I have the latest realtek audio. I was actually using fraps to record the audio but it's a little impractical because even on lowest video settings I can get a massive file just for the audio.

It could really damage the camera? I would keep the levels really low. I'm still wondering if that means I'll be able to hear anything myself which would probably disqualify it.

If this doesn't pan out I will try buying a new soundcard so that hopefully stereo mix will eventually work.

6. kennykjc

kennykjc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I managed to sort of get it to work. It's hooked up and records audio from my pc... But it is working in a way that leaves me hearing nothing through my headset because I have to change the default playback device from my headset to general speaker device.

Is there a way around this? So I can hear the audio myself but also record it to the camera?

7. Emerton

Emerton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29