Record Cleaning Machines

Chalklands

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have any opinions on record cleaning machines? Do they work? Any recommendations (I don't want to spend loads)? Are they better than using cleaning fluid and a microfibre cloth?

Does anybody have any opinions on record cleaning machines? Do they work? Any recommendations (I don't want to spend loads)? Are they better than using cleaning fluid and a microfibre cloth?
Yes they work and yes they are better than using cleaning fluid and a cloth. If you don’t want to spend a lot look at Spinclean and Knosti ‘bath’ type cleaners.

If have plenty of spare cash you can't beat this one.

My local record shop has one they use for their vinyl cleaning service.

I use the Knosti Antistat with great results due the the use of goat hair bristles that get into the record grooves rather than a pad rubbing the surface. I ditched the cleaning fluid that came with the unit after reading reports that it left a residue on the records surface that clogged the stylus. I use a self made solution of 80% distilled water 15% isopropyl alcohol and 5% ilford isotol. This evaporates well and leaves no residue, although I do sometimes use my hand held Karcher vac with a small 5" attachment head to speed things up. This works perfect for me.

I started off a couple of years ago with a Knosti, but was not that impressed, so i moved up to a Record Doctor vacuum machine a vast improvement, but after much reading i thought ultrasonic was the next step. I purchased a 5ltr bath with a motor for just under £250, a Karcher vacuum for £30 (it was cheap because the cord was only 12") and a vinyl nozzle for £20 ( I have 2 because the first one the slit was not wide enough and they sent a replacement) I managed to the widen the slip and changed the velvet to the square waterproof paint sponge removing the plastic backing and cutting into strips and applying to the nozzle with double sided tape. I use Di-ionized water & a splash of wetting agent and give 20 mins in a degaused bath at 30-32 degrees. The results are amazing my vinyl never sounded so good.
All my vinyl had been cleaned in one or other of the machines i mentioned and after cleaning were put in anti static inner sleeves and are placed back in there covers in a clean smoke free environment. I am slowly bathing my whole collection the second photo shows on the nozzle how much dirt comes off of 32 what I originally considered clean vinyl.
I should also say many people say alcohol should be used in the mixture, I found that it left residue on the vinyl and the vinyl needed an additional clean wash after the bath, so I omitted the alcohol and saved an unnecessary process
DSC_0232.JPG
DSC_0233.JPG

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom