Record as turntable mat?

jaimeomg

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I've asked this question elsewhere but wondered if anyone here can answer me.
Would there be any detriment in using a vinyl picture disc as a slip mat on my TT?
I understand there may be an issue with the labels not allowing the record to sit correctly, but if this isn't a problem is there anything else to make using a picture disc any different to a dedicated vinyl mat?
Thanks

You could probably get the cover art made into a TT slip mat ??

I did wonder about this myself in the past. How secure would the record being played be on top of another record? Would they slip or rub together? Would the grooves rubbing against each other cause extra wearing or damage? Would the vinyl-on-vinyl layering create additional static? And why would I bother, when I have an acrylic platter or a cork or rubber mat already? So, with these questions in mind and no need to try it, I never though about it again...until now. Still not sold on the idea. Hope someone with more knowledge can answer your question.

Slip mats are normally rubber, cork or felt, not to mention cheap and all provide a safe/protective surface onto which to place your vinyl, using another hard vinyl record with ridges for that purpose sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Slip mats are normally rubber, cork or felt, not to mention cheap and all provide a safe/protective surface onto which to place your vinyl, using another hard vinyl record with ridges for that purpose sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.
This is true, but all vinyl platters are used on lots of high-end equipment and they say there is no need to use a mat if you don't want to. Vinyl mats are also sold separately, so to question the validity of vinyl as a suitable material for laying records on seems redundant.
I understand your concern about ridges etc however, and this is exactly why I asked the question.

I have the Acrylic platter on my Project turntable and just put the record straight onto it no problem

This is true, but all vinyl platters are used on lots of high-end equipment and they say there is no need to use a mat if you don't want to. Vinyl mats are also sold separately, so to question the validity of vinyl as a suitable material for laying records on seems redundant.
I understand your concern about ridges etc however, and this is exactly why I asked the question.

Are you referring to hard rubber mats/platters as opposed to 'slipmats' ie. the felt types used for DJ'ing so you can cue up a record. If you aren't DJ'ing and hence back cueing then a solid rubber mat would be possibly be better as it will grip the record better.

That said I have seen a few DJ over the years just chuck a record on top of the one currently playing, but I think that's just laziness and probably a sure fire way to scratch your vinyl :)

Last edited:
dj-kitty-main.jpg

Are then referring to hard rubber mats as opposed to 'slip maps' ie. felt types used for DJ'ing so you can cue up a record. If you aren't DJ'ing and hence back cueing then a solid rubber mat would be possibly be better as it will grip the record better without damaging it.

That said I have seen a few DJ over the years just chuck a record on top of the one currently playing, but I think that's just laziness and problay a sure fire way to scratch your vinyl :)
Thanks mate, I've now changed the thread title to not include the word 'slip'.
I'm definitely no DJ and only want to listen to music but fancied making my TT a bit "prettier".

I have the Acrylic platter on my Project turntable and just put the record straight onto it no problem
Yes, I do the same on both my turntables. But the acrylic platter is clearly far more dense, and nice and smooth. It isn't a piece of vinyl covered in ridges.

fancied making my TT a bit "prettier".

Wouldn't want to recommend a particular supplier and you may find that the quality of the mats/printing leaves something to be desired — most of these outfits also also print t-shirts and mugs. But there are loads of websites that will print you a felt mat with whatever image/artwork you upload.

The one thing I would say is that a full colour image printed over the surface of the mat might also be a bit abrasive, but still safer than using another vinyl record as a mat.

Last edited:
If you were to employ a record clamp or weight - choice of which largely dictated by your turntable type, that would help prevent slippage.

I have a number of different platter mats, all of which add their own effects or flavours. Most often used is an acrylic mat. My turntable is a heavy, unsprung type. I also use weights.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom