Record 1 channel while watching another, is this possible without sky+

zebredy

I have ordered a Panasonic P50x10B which is arriving next week :)

I live in a flat where I can not get sky+ or Sky HD :mad: I still have normal sky which I can live with for now, though

anyway

I wanted to be able to record a channel while watching another, and not just from freview or normal terestrial channels. Sky as well.

Is there any way of doing this without sky+ ?

I don't need to be able to record 2+ channels just 1 while watching another (though that would be nice while Im away) . Can this be done.

Was looking at a HDD video/dvd recorder (maybe this model Toshiba 250Gb Freeview HDD DVD/VCR recorder RDXV59DT ) as I want to record from video to dvd, as well as doing the above I mentioned.

Is there anyway I can do the above, or again does it all come down to the fact that I would need sky+?

Thanks in advance for any help (newby to world of HDD records and PVRS etc)

Broadz

Distinguished Member
If you want to record one satellite channel while watching another - you need two satellite tuners. Whether that is Sky+, Sky HD, a Freesat PVR, a Sky box and a Freesat TV, two Freesat STBs, two standard Sky boxes, or any combination of the above.

Both satellite tuners need independent connections to a satellite dish - or rather to a dual or higher LNB on a satellite dish. If you live in a flat that only has a single connection to the dish, and you can't get a second connection, and you can't fit a second dish, then you can't receive two seperate satellite channels at the same time.

But there is nothing to stop you recording Sky while watching terrestrial or cable or internet TV or a DVD - and nothing to stop you watching Sky while recording any other television source you can lay your hands on.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
If you want to record one satellite channel while watching another - you need two satellite tuners. Whether that is Sky+, Sky HD, a Freesat PVR, a Sky box and a Freesat TV, two Freesat STBs, two standard Sky boxes, or any combination of the above.

Both satellite tuners need independent connections to a satellite dish - or rather to a dual or higher LNB on a satellite dish. If you live in a flat that only has a single connection to the dish, and you can't get a second connection, and you can't fit a second dish, then you can't receive two seperate satellite channels at the same time.

This is not entirely accurate, a single feed can feed two tuners and allow multiple channel recording. Only 1 tuner can control the lnb but the second tuner can record any channels in the same quadrant as tuner 1 has switched the lnb to. AFAIK this capability is only implemented in one twin tuner satelitte pvr the Freesat Foxsat-hdr. This has a capability to loop the output of tuner 1's lnb to to tuner 2 in. In addition a single tuner can record two channels sharing the same transponder at the same time.

Not only can you record two you can also watch a selection of 3rd channels at the same time.

By way of an example say a Foxsat-hdr with only 1 lnb is recording BBC2 and Channel 5 at the same time. The following channels will not only be viewable but can also be time shifted

Code:
104 Channel 4
125 More4 +1
300 Film4
301 Film4 +1
974 Channel 4
750 RTE Radio 1 
751 RTE Radio 2fm 
752 RTE Radio Lyric FM 
753 RTE Raidio na Gaeltacta 
106 BBC Three
107 BBC Four
600 CBBC
601 CBeebies
950 BBC 1 London
957 BBC 1 NI
968 BBC 2 England
102 BBC 2
705 BBC Radio 5 Live 
706 BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra 
960 BBC 1 Scotland
964 BBC 1 Wales
969 BBC 2 NI
970 BBC 2 SCOTLAND
971 BBC 2 W
103 ITV 1 Border England
103 ITV 1 Central East
103 ITV 1 Thames Valley
103 ITV 1 Wales
103 ITV 1 West
103 ITV 1 West Country South
118 ITV4 + 1
114 ITV2 +1
450 Men and Motors
103 ITV 1 Anglia South
103 ITV 1 Border Scotland
103 ITV 1 Meridian South
103 ITV 1 Tyne Tees North
103 ITV 1 Yorkshire West
139 Zone Horror + 1
514 Clubland
786 BFBS Radio 
141 BET + 1
138 Zone Horror
811 Thane Direct
809 JML
400 Wedding TV
103 ITV HD (red button)
986 Teletext (Watch Only)
861 Gala TV
206 Russia Today
205 France 24
690 Inspiration TV
851 Netplay TV

Note however only the ITV region you have selected by post code will be available. In my opinion this makes the hdr a very sensible option if you can only get 1 infeed.

It's also possible to convert a single cable from a multiswitch into providing two seperate connection capability using scr technology provided the sat box you are using is scr capable

http://www.globalinvacom.com/products/pdfs/SCR iss4.pdf

Last edited:

ramjet

Banned
you need 2 tuners to do that trick , which is why a sky plus box has 2 tuners

for free to air channels you can use 2 single tuner boxes , or a twin tuner box , and record one channel and watch another , subject to them being on the same transponder , or possibly one or two others on the same polarity and lnb frequency

but to record one sky channel and watch another is quite complicated as you are relying on the card to help you , which is why you really need a sky plus twin tuner box with one card inside it , or use it in single feed mode by setting it to that in its menu

Daveyboyc

Standard Member
Not sure if I understand.

I am aware that with 2 tuners you can record 2 channels (1 tuner per channel) but I was wondering if you can record 2 or more on the same transponder using just 1 tuner (so with 2 tuners you could record more than 2) this is the case with digital freeview where you can record everything on the same multiplex with just 1 tuner.

Is it not possible to do something similar with satelitte is what I'm asking?

ramjet

Banned
I think you are mistaken , as you need a tuner for each recording or for reception

so for twin recording you need 2 tuners , for watching one channel and recording another you again need twin tuners

this also applies to a single tuner terrestrial freeview box , so if that box is recording a channel using one tuner , you cannot watch or record a different channel as it has no second tuner

the ones that allow 2 recordings , or allow you to watch one channel or record another , are twin tuner pvr`s , same as a sky plus box is

the only difference is that the sky plus box needs 2 feeds , whereas the freeview boxes only need 1 feed

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
I suspect the "confusion" as regards Freeview is this:
Some recorders DO allow you to record two programmes and still watch (live) a third, different programme using the same box as the source. There are still only two tuners in the box which limits their reception to two multiplexes. The third programme must be either
a) contained in one of the two multiplexes being received for the two recordings (if the two are different) or
b) any programme (if the two recordings are coming from the same multiplex).
In other words, they can receive a total of three different programmes from within no more than two multiplexes. Such machines still have the restriction, though, that they can only record no more than two at a time.

As to whether that has any relevance at all to what is feasible (even if not provided) via Satellite...I can't say.

Daveyboyc

Standard Member
What if you use a TV tuner card as opposed to a box? I can record all the channels on a single multiplex with just 1 single hauppauge usb tuner card using DVBviewer, thats to say for example, that I can record BBC1,BBC2,BBC News 24 all at the same time, all with one single tuner.

Is there not a similar solution available that uses a tv tuner card compatible with a satelitte feed?

crockett

The restrictions on how many channels can be recorded on Freeview or Satellite are imposed by the box designers. It is perfectly possible to record more channels (with the MUX/Transponder limitations) if the software allows it. Check out this video of a Vuo+Duo (twin tuner) receiver recording 6 different HD channels simultaneously...!

YouTube - Vu+ Duo Records 6 HD Ch. on same time

Daveyboyc

Standard Member
Nice! OK what about recording using tuner cards to go into a PC or server?
The guys who make this one:

NetUP Dual DVB-S2-CI card

say that this device can do it with a suitable CAM. The thing is they are qutoing $900 + $90 delivery for it..

any thoughts?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom