1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reconditioned Sky+ Boxes

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Brigadeer, Mar 16, 2003.

1. Brigadeer

Brigadeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your views please:

Should Sky be providing NEW Sky+ boxes instead of reconditioned boxes as replacements?

If you have had a reconditioned box - how has it performed? How long has it lasted? Have you had several replacements?

I will be interested in all comments about Sky+ performance.

Thanks.

2. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,492
    I am on the free trial at the moment,the first box didnt work,the new box works fine until i do this,i go into the tv guide and say i scroll across to see whats on later and press i to see what its about,the sky+ turns itself off every time i try this and takes about a minute to come back on???strange:confused:

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    A reconditioned box could be simply one of the early models that has had it's noisy hard drive replaced or it's main board replaced as it's not economical to repair a circuit board.

The question should be under the law are you entitled to a brand new replacement or do you have to give the supplier a chance to repair the unit before it's replaced.
    This will be different depending if you are within the warranty period of course, inside of the warranty you are entitled to a brand new replacment within a reasonable period and after that the supplier can attempt a repair before providing a brand new replacment or refund. Outside of the warranty all you will get is a repair or more likely a refurbished unit from a previous customer.

You could argue that a refurbished SKY+ from the original batch that had it's HD replaced performs better than the original spec SKY+.

4. mostly

mostly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My sky+ box failed 2 days after I got it. They lumbered me with a refurb under the guise of being a new unit. Its taken me 2 months of phone calls & emails to finally get a brand new replacement :/

5. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    IIFK the reasonable period is 28 days, i.e. if an item goes wrong within 28 days you can demand a brand new replacement. After that you have to accept a repair if they can do it, otherwise a replacement or refund. I don't believe replacement has to be a new one after 28 days, but could be totally wrong. ;)

StooMonster