Recommending a Tyre

Hi,

Just wondering what type of tyres people seem to go for or does it depend on what type of car you have?

Currently have 4 crap unbranded ones on the car which is what it came with. 2 x Durun sport one on the rear and 2 x nankang ns2 on the front. It is only the rears im replacing as one went down, pumped back up and has stayed up but not confident in leaving it so just gonna replace both rears.

Have been looking at Uniroyal Rainsport 2 & Hancook K110 V12 & Falken/Avon's !!!

Can anyone share their thoughtS?

rousetafarian

Not any sound advice from my experience really, I just fall for the Mercedes Benz mechanic's patter when he recommended Continental Contact Sport 3's (apparently specifically for the model I drive...)

No doubt cheaper alternatives would do, but I like the ride on these and they will last (hopefully)

davidwatsonok

Uniroyal are indeed a great tyre, but their awesome reviews for wet weather grip are somewhat questionable when you consider that the main reason is that they supply them with 9mm deep tread instead of the usual 7mm of a new tyre. I'd love to see them tested after being worn to 7mm to match other tyres to see if they still do so well. I have them on my car, and they have been very good though, but I can see signs of them wearing fairly quickly. I would guess that the compound may also have some of the properties of winter tyres (high silicone content) to again improve their wet performance.

Hankook and Falken are great budget tyres, and I've never had a problem with either. Fulda are good too (Goodyears old tread patterns), and Toyo aren't much more expensive.

Vredestein are particularly good for a reasonably priced brand. Their Ultrac high performance tyre was stunning, and the Sessanta is another big improvement.

For a really cheap but good tyre, I have some Achilles ATR Sport on the wifes Octavia and I can't fault them, apart from in the snow (18" and 35 profile is never gonna do well then).

Continental tyres are always excellent, but at a price. Worth the money if you do a lot of miles, particularly at speed. For most peoples average driving they aren't justified.

Didnt know the uniroyals come with 9mm deep tread !!! There is not much price difference really between the uniroyals and hankooks...... hte falken are rather cheaper but decent reviews like the Toyo's but apparently the majority seem to say the toyos are poor in the wet.

Alot of forums ive been on suggest the Vredestein sessanta's as you said. Probably end up getting tomorrow from camskill and get fitted locally for £10 per tyre.

I used tyrereviews.co.uk maf to check most out, never been on the one u linked too.

oska

What car? When I had my 182 it had Exalto 2's which were apparently developed with the car, I wanted to keep the feel of the car so kept replacing them at around a ton a corner for 16"s. Now I have an Audi A3 and run whatever mid range the garage has on offer as I know I won't be hammering it from A-B. Generally budget tires last around 6 months less in personal experience. Any top brand is going to be ok for your needs but as mentioned above Hankook and Toyo I found are good in most applications.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
Really didn't like uniroyals fitted to the wife's Clio.
Bought them for their alleged wet grip, but they didn't seem any better than others.
Plus they had a definite downside in that they seemed to have very weak sidewalls.
I was always thinking they were soft when the car was sat on the drive, turn-in was very 'squidgy' and one of them 'egged' after going over a bump.
All signs of a weak sidewall, IMO.
I wouldn't get them again.
Had good results from Dunlop and Falken recently though.
A part of me keeps meaning to try Avon and support British.
They're American owned now (cooper) but still made in the uk.

What car? When I had my 182 it had Exalto 2's which were apparently developed with the car, I wanted to keep the feel of the car so kept replacing them at around a ton a corner for 16"s. Now I have an Audi A3 and run whatever mid range the garage has on offer as I know I won't be hammering it from A-B. Generally budget tires last around 6 months less in personal experience. Any top brand is going to be ok for your needs but as mentioned above Hankook and Toyo I found are good in most applications.

Seat Leon FR TDI they will be going on. Currently have Nankang NS2 on the front and found them to be okay, but recently noticed one of the side walls showed signs of cracking / splitting.

davidwatsonok

I had Nankangs on for a while, couldn't wait to wear them out, and it didn't take me long. They were fun, I'll give them that, as I slid almost everywhere no matter what the weather. Without a doubt, the worst tyre I've ever driven. Wheelspin on acceleration in every gear, wet or dry, full 4-wheel drifts with little provocation, and the ABS had to kick in all the time under braking. Only £32 each, but not worth even that.

I had Nankangs on for a while, couldn't wait to wear them out, and it didn't take me long. They were fun, I'll give them that, as I slid almost everywhere no matter what the weather. Without a doubt, the worst tyre I've ever driven. Wheelspin on acceleration in every gear, wet or dry, full 4-wheel drifts with little provocation, and the ABS had to kick in all the time under braking. Only £32 each, but not worth even that.

CRIKEY, i got ripped off then last year, think i paid approx £75 fitted for them things.

http://www.etyres.co.uk/car-tyres-uk/detail?productId=2221 , the predecessor to these were the best tyres i have ever had , the ZZ1 :smashin:

Do you recommened avon then?

back street garages for you i guess. Not always getting the best deal.

It seems for the price of approx £90 its between

HanKook K110 V12 EVO
Uniroyal Rainsport 2
Avon ZZ3

Then you have the Falken 452's at £74

Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta are currently on special offer at £99 from camskill.

maf1970

You are allowed to use 2 speed ratings below what the maker provided as tyres for winter use. E.G if tyres are V rated you can buy H or T rated for winter use. (I may be wrong on this)

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
maf1970 said:
You are allowed to use 2 speed ratings below what the maker provided as tyres for winter use. E.G if tyres are V rated you can buy H or T rated for winter use. (I may be wrong on this)

Highly doubt this ...

D

Deleted member 297713

I wouldn't say you are allowed by default, but my car manual states a lower speed rating requirement for winter tyre in comparison, and I could not even find a winter tyre having the same speed rating as the summer one for this particular size.

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
FZR400RRSP said:
Winter tyres are always a lower speed rating.
Or I've yet to come across any that aren't.
The softer compound dictates a lower speed rating.
Mine are H rated, most are.

So you can fit lower rated winter tyres but still go faster than the limit they are rated for , can't get my head round that ...

FZR400RRSP

Banned
So you can fit lower rated winter tyres but still go faster than the limit they are rated for , can't get my head round that ...

There are usually exceptions made for 'temporary use' tyres, such as M+S.
H is a sustained 130mph for 10 minutes.
Safe enough for UK use.
Might be illegal to fit H-rates tyres to some cars in Germany though.
Or maby they're one of those countries that requires you to fit a sticker in the driver's view, reminding them that they're on lower-speed rated tyres.

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
FZR400RRSP said:
There are usually exceptions made for 'temporary use' tyres, such as M+S.
H is a sustained 130mph for 10 minutes.
Safe enough for UK use.
Might be illegal to fit H-rates tyres to some cars in Germany though.
Or maby they're one of those countries that requires you to fit a sticker in the driver's view, reminding them that they're on lower-speed rated tyres.

Do they have the same load rating of the standard tyres ?

maf1970

In Germany it is now compulsory for all vehicles to have winter tyres fitted.(snowflake symbol or M&S on side wall).
However the rating is at the discretion of the driver who must take into consideration the roads he will be using.(fit the highest rating available if using the autobahn regularly.)
Highest winter tyre rating I've seen is V.

Biggest problem is educating people to modify their driving habits come winter time. e.g. leaving a larger gap between you and the car infront to allow you time to stop or to avoid them.

Last edited:

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
I always go for Avon too. They are not too expensive but always do a good job.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month

Latest News

T+A launches new Caruso R music system plus optional speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Melco update adds Roon 1.8 readiness
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung ranked No.1 TV brand for 15th year running
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published