Question Recommended Wireless Access Point(s)?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by AMc, Jun 18, 2015.

1. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,363
    Hello

I have most of the house wired with Cat6.
    4 ports per room terminated at a patch panel.
    At the master socket I have the Plusnet Thomson ADSL Router (4 port).
    This has 4 links to the patch panel.

1 connects to a Buffalo Airstation WHR-G54S (DHCP off providing a wireless access point) connected to the HTPC, Bluray and Wii (4th port linking back to the Thomson)

2 connects to a Buffalo Airstation WBR-G54 (DHCP off providing a wireless access point) connected to two PCs and a printer (4th port linking back to the Thomson)

3 connects to another Buffalo Airstation WBR-G54 (DHCP off providing a wireless access point) connected to Playstation 3, PS4 and Xbox 360 (4th port linking back to the Thomson)

4 connects to an Xbox360 in the bedroom.

All 4 wireless access points have the same SSID and password so devices roam across them without problems.

There is no dedicated switch as I've not yet needed another ethernet port and there is no convenient power near the patch panel.

The house is Georgian with thick brick internal walls there is new extension which is insulated with foil backed foam board which blocks the signal too.
    So all 4 wireless access points are needed to provide good coverage.

Yesterday my iPhone6 turned up and judging by the problems it had connecting to the WBR-G54 it can't cope with WPA AES encryption set on the older Buffaloes. So I've turned off the wireless on the WBR-G54's but that leaves me with patchy WiFi coverage from the Thomson and the newer WHR-G54S.

I don't think that wireless extenders will help as there aren't good places with good WiFi and power sockets in the right places due to the shape of the house - it's large too.

TLDR version
    Can you recommend me a reasonably priced, wireless access point with 4 ethernet ports to replace some venerable Buffalo "pre g certification" kit?

Thanks for any suggestions!

2. rs6mra

rs6mra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    another option you can consider is using routers whereby you can disable the DHCP servers like you have have on your current access points and they would work in the same manner.

3. neilball

neilball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +649
    I have been using Draytek APs for a while now. At home I use AP900s as part of a managed wifi setup using a Draytek router as the wifi controller. If you don't need dual band them the AP810 are cheaper and offer the same 4-port switch design.

4. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,755
    Not at all unheard of with older kit - some of it simply doesn't have the AES "chip" built in. WPA was "rushed out" (I'm paraphrasing) when WEP was found to be "broken." Initially WPA had to "make do" with the WEP encryption suite which became WPA-TKIP. As things moved on WPA-AES got added as AES/CCMP encryption got wrapped in and later WPA2 came along. It's a while since I did any extensive testing, but it wouldn't surprise me if there are WPA2 chipsets that were/are AES only and dropped TKIP support. [/END HISTORY LESSON]

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,363
    You mean this one DrayTek Vigor AP-900 Simultaneous Dual-Band WiFi PoE Access Point (600Mbps) ?£132 is about £100 more than I wanted to spend ;) Even the cheaper 810 is still just shy of £100.
    Looking at the specs they are overkill for my needs.
    The wireless is used for shuffling files around, the odd youtube video and iPlayer. As I only get 6mbps down my ADSL more is over kill and any large files move around the wired cables.

Sure - the problematic devices are Buffalo Airstation wbr-g54. I got the first one of these to use as a cable router (when Telewest considered broadband to support a single device). I picked it out as it was "G" capable but at that time the standard hadn't been ratified so there was no certified hardware. I then bought another one later as they had a very useful bridging mode which allowed me to wirelessly repeat the signal around our old house and provide a wired ethernet port for my Playstation2. They only support WPA not WPA2.
    I've been digging and the last firmware for these was in 2004 running 24/7 so I can't complain about the lifespan. I've had the later Buffalo device since 2006!