Recommended TV screen size

SaitaM

Novice Member
Hey all

I'd like to gather some opinions on the recommended tv screen size for an LG OLED C1.

It will go on a 30-32 m2 squarish living room with an estimated viewing distance of 2-2,5m. The wall it would be on has around 5,5-6 meters. The furniture piece it will go on has 2,7m. I am trying to decide between the 65 and 77´´ model

I like big screens, however I'm afraid that a 77 inches screen would be too overkill and unfittingly big for such a room. Main use would be watching movies / tv shows from streaming platforms / hd archive, and some gaming. Bit less tv content

Thanks in advance for any input

I am in the same situation. However the diffrences in price between 65 and 77 is way to much to justify. LG G1 has been in the low 2200$ here in Norway, a 77 would set be back closer to 3500$. I have a 70 inch lcd now and i have no hards feeling going down to 65.

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
My viewing distance is 2.8m and 65" it'a plenty and price to 77" is way too much. It's freestanding on a stand on wall mount it would be further away and could go 77"

sebna

Go for 77". You will regret it you go for 65"

If in doubt go big.

I have always lived by the simple rule below and it always served me well:

I buy biggest screen I can fit and afford. That also goes for my PJ screen.

So I have one OLED 65" @1.9m

And 133" @2.7 and I would not do it differently other than I would not mind updating to 88" OLED in bedroom @1.9m

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
My viewing distance is 2.8m and 65" it'a plenty and price to 77" is way too much. It's freestanding on a stand on wall mount it would be further away and could go 77"
not at all

Go for 77". You will regret it you go for 65"

If in doubt go big.

I have always lived by the simple rule below and it always served me well:

I buy biggest screen I can fit and afford. That also goes for my PJ screen.

So I have one OLED 65" @1.9m

And 133" @2.7 and I would not do it differently other than I would not mind updating to 88" OLED in bedroom @1.9m

completely agree.

dts197

Distinguished Member
Hey all

I'd like to gather some opinions on the recommended tv screen size for an LG OLED C1.

It will go on a 30-32 m2 squarish living room with an estimated viewing distance of 2-2,5m. The wall it would be on has around 5,5-6 meters. The furniture piece it will go on has 2,7m. I am trying to decide between the 65 and 77´´ model

I like big screens, however I'm afraid that a 77 inches screen would be too overkill and unfittingly big for such a room. Main use would be watching movies / tv shows from streaming platforms / hd archive, and some gaming. Bit less tv content

Thanks in advance for any input
Go as big as you can get, 77" is far from overkill when people are happily using projectors with 120"+ screens. Trust me, you'll soon adjust to a 77" and be thinking you could go bigger. Watching films is about immersion, so you want big sound & vision.

One piece of advice, please take comments from rccarguy with a pinch of salt. He's well known on the forums for misleading other members with comments based on his own strange views & reluctance to spend money.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Go as big as you can get, 77" is far from overkill when people are happily using projectors with 120"+ screens. Trust me, you'll soon adjust to a 77" and be thinking you could go bigger. Watching films is about immersion, so you want big sound & vision.

One piece of advice, please take comments from rccarguy with a pinch of salt. He's well known on the forums for misleading other members with comments based on his own strange views & reluctance to spend money.

To be fair, he’s been honest in this thread. If you read between the lines of his post, he’s just said he can’t afford a 77 inch OLED.

We all have our budgets.

dts197

Distinguished Member
To be fair, he’s been honest in this thread. If you read between the lines of his post, he’s just said he can’t afford a 77 inch OLED.

We all have our budgets.
I've seen him comment that a 77" tv from 2.5m is "ridiculous" in another thread and that he could easily pay cash for a Trinnov if he wanted to.

Still, the main point is go as big as you can afford. You never see people saying they wish they got a smaller TV!

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I've seen him comment that a 77" tv from 2.5m is "ridiculous" in another thread and that he could easily pay cash for a Trinnov if he wanted to.

Still, the main point is go as big as you can afford. You never see people saying they wish they got a smaller TV!

Agreed. I had a 77'' and that felt small after a while.

I do think my 150'' is the sweet spot for 16:9 but watching a 2:35:1 film on the 150'' leaves me wanting more 100% which is why I have to switch aspect ratios so much.

dts197

Distinguished Member
Agreed. I had a 77'' and that felt small after a while.

I do think my 150'' is the sweet spot for 16:9 but watching a 2:35:1 film on the 150'' leaves me wanting more 100% which is why I have to switch aspect ratios so much.
It's funny I used to think I had a big TV when I bought a 32" CRT!

SaitaM

Novice Member
Thanks a lot for everyone's input it's really helpful. I really like the idea of a big immersive tv and budget is not a problem in this case. The only real issue was the fear of the TV "overdominating" the room and the furniture piece".

Additionally, does anyone have any experience with mounting these OLEDs? Im thinking of mounting it myself with wifey, in the normal stand, not on wall. Is it too difficult for a 2 person job?

Thanks

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Thanks a lot for everyone's input it's really helpful. I really like the idea of a big immersive tv and budget is not a problem in this case. The only real issue was the fear of the TV "overdominating" the room and the furniture piece".

Additionally, does anyone have any experience with mounting these OLEDs? Im thinking of mounting it myself with wifey, in the normal stand, not on wall. Is it too difficult for a 2 person job?

Thanks
If it’s the 77’’ I would just pay for installation. Removes all of the stress. JL gave it me for free . Was a big relief compared to when I self installed (was stressful)

mikej

'Mounting' a TV usually refers to installing it on a wall bracket. If all you want to do is to fix it to it's stand, then this should be a relatively easy, two person job. You just need to lift an OLED carefully with one person at either side, taking the weight under the lower, thicker part and only using the thinner screen portion at the top to steady it and stop it tipping over if you're not able to do that by the plastic lower portion alone. Full instructions and recommendations on how to do this safely should be included with the TV.

I initially put my 55" Panasonic OLED on it's stand myself because I was impatient and had no-one around to help at the time, but it was awkward and a bit of a stretch ! For 65"+, I would definitely get help.

SonOfSJ

@SaitaM What exactly are the dimensions of your room (width times length)?

SonOfSJ

You'll see from my signature that I have 75" televisions, in rooms that are 5.75m and 4.75m. A 77" OLED will be just fine in your room. It will be big but not overwhelming. You'll get used to it pretty soon!

And I would get somebody professional to install your television on the wall.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom