Recommended Sub & Centre speaker to add to existing Tannoy DC6T SE's

chillaxed

Novice Member
Reaction score
Confused about Yamaha RX-V377 power output specs

Wow, I can't believe all that was nearly 7 years ago now! I ended up packing in the day job and going self-employed. 5 years later, I'm working all hours of the day and earning about 60% of what I used to, but there's a lot of satisfaction in working for yourself and I don't mind the flexible hours it brings.

I ended up buying a Denon AVC-X3700H. I've still only got the Tannoy DC6T SE's but will be adding a sub soon (thinking about SVS SB/PB 2000/3000 or similar).

Without the sub, I feel quite disappointed with the sound quality from the Denon. It feels like 40% of the sound stage is missing compared to what I used to get out of the Marantz. Whilst the sound may be a little cleaner, it's not as warm and enveloping as the output was from the Marantz PM6004. Turning off all the fancy preset modes and going for Direct seems to yield the best sound quality. Bass and mid-range is definitely lacking compared to the Marantz and the high end sounds a little scratchy.

It certainly seems to have more power to reach higher volumes. I'm actually scared to take it beyond 80% as I have no way of knowing what the speakers will safely handle. I'll see what it sounds like once I add the sub and a centre speaker. Any recommendations?

Mate of mine has 2 svs sb2000 pros for sale 6 to 7 months old with svs isolation feet if your interested

Confused about Yamaha RX-V377 power output specs

Wow, I can't believe all that was nearly 7 years ago now! I ended up packing in the day job and going self-employed. 5 years later, I'm working all hours of the day and earning about 60% of what I used to, but there's a lot of satisfaction in working for yourself and I don't mind the flexible hours it brings.

I ended up buying a Denon AVC-X3700H. I've still only got the Tannoy DC6T SE's but will be adding a sub soon (thinking about SVS SB/PB 2000/3000 or similar).

Without the sub, I feel quite disappointed with the sound quality from the Denon. It feels like 40% of the sound stage is missing compared to what I used to get out of the Marantz. Whilst the sound may be a little cleaner, it's not as warm and enveloping as the output was from the Marantz PM6004. Turning off all the fancy preset modes and going for Direct seems to yield the best sound quality. Bass and mid-range is definitely lacking compared to the Marantz and the high end sounds a little scratchy.

It certainly seems to have more power to reach higher volumes. I'm actually scared to take it beyond 80% as I have no way of knowing what the speakers will safely handle. I'll see what it sounds like once I add the sub and a centre speaker. Any recommendations?

No word on room size and your usage how loud you listen, do you live in detached house/apartment, are you looking the most impact for blockbuster movies or more balanced experience while using the sub with music too? We are trying to get idea which you would prefer SB or PB regarding your usage and room size ( you wouldn´t buy SB2000 for a large open plan room) etc.

You are couple weeks late, SVS raised the prices worldwide 200-300$. There is small chance that you might still get model for old price and/or there is grade-b stuff in mint shape with full warranty.

Tannoy DC6 LCR looks to be "matching" center channel. Third DC6T SE would be most ideal, but with tv not likely going to work. Third and final option (only one available too) would be to buy used DC6 SE pair and use one as center channel either horizontally or vertically, due to Dual Concentric coaxial driver it shouldn`t matter. Hopefully the below pair is same finish what you have:

This too, but it has small drivers.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
No word on room size and your usage how loud you listen, do you live in detached house/apartment, are you looking the most impact for blockbuster movies or more balanced experience while using the sub with music too? We are trying to get idea which you would prefer SB or PB regarding your usage and room size ( you wouldn´t buy SB2000 for a large open plan room) etc.

You are couple weeks late, SVS raised the prices worldwide 200-300$. There is small chance that you might still get model for old price and/or there is grade-b stuff in mint shape with full warranty.

Tannoy DC6 LCR looks to be "matching" center channel. Third DC6T SE would be most ideal, but with tv not likely going to work. Third and final option (only one available too) would be to buy used DC6 SE pair and use one as center channel either horizontally or vertically, due to Dual Concentric coaxial driver it shouldn`t matter. Hopefully the below pair is same finish what you have:

This too, but it has small drivers.
It's only a fairly standard 13' x 16' living room in a 3-bed semi with the seating about 11' from the speakers. I'm looking for outstanding audio with clear dialogs, thumping rib cage shaking bass and excellent rendering of music in movies and for audio only - a well balanced clear rendering of any music type I throw at it. I want my cake and I want to eat it.

To be fair, the Marantz was loud enough for movies and music (Home Theatre PC is the sole audio/visual source).

I only got the AV Receiver as:
a) It replaces 3 boxes with one (Marantz amp, ARCAM DAC and digital delay unit to correct lip sync issues).
b) It would allow a subwoofer, centre and surround speakers to be added and
c) It's got more power to go louder - but admittedly c) was only for when we used to have parties (remember those?) pre-Covid. What I wasn't counting on was the drop in audio quality.
One of the pitfalls of buying stuff without listening to it 😬

I might try my ARCAM DAC again and go optical out from the PC to it to feed into the AV instead of the HDMI from the nVidia 1030 gfx card to the AV to see if it makes a difference. But I feel like it likely won't solve all the problems and may just throw up a few new ones.

The volume definitely doesn't stay the same over all freqencies. I ran this speaker test and noticed the volume's quite low <80Hz, then rises briefly on its way to 130Hz. Then dips again til about 170Hz before rising gradually up to 500Hz before it gets much louder all the way up from there.

I used to get much more satisfying bass from the Marantz.
I'm attaching a crude sketch I made of the frequency response I get from the Denon.

The other weird thing is, the LPF (Low Pass Filter) setting only goes down to 80Hz in the Denon settings, which might explain the poor bass response even though I've told it I'm only using a full range 2 speaker set-up.

Someone actually suggested a stereo amp + AV receiver set up with the AMP fed from the pre-outs from the AV receiver going to the Tannoys and the AV receiver feeding the centre + surrounds, but I was trying to declutter not go box mad under the TV. The Mrs is already hoping for more tidying up now that I've started...

I guess if I add a centre and sub and see how that fairs and go from there....?

Attachments

• frequency test 20211022_001947.jpg
    frequency test 20211022_001947.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
It's only a fairly standard 13' x 16' living room in a 3-bed semi with the seating about 11' from the speakers. I'm looking for outstanding audio with clear dialogs, thumping rib cage shaking bass and excellent rendering of music in movies and for audio only - a well balanced clear rendering of any music type I throw at it. I want my cake and I want to eat it.

To be fair, the Marantz was loud enough for movies and music (Home Theatre PC is the sole audio/visual source).

I only got the AV Receiver as:
a) It replaces 3 boxes with one (Marantz amp, ARCAM DAC and digital delay unit to correct lip sync issues).
b) It would allow a subwoofer, centre and surround speakers to be added and
c) It's got more power to go louder - but admittedly c) was only for when we used to have parties (remember those?) pre-Covid. What I wasn't counting on was the drop in audio quality.
One of the pitfalls of buying stuff without listening to it 😬

I might try my ARCAM DAC again and go optical out from the PC to it to feed into the AV instead of the HDMI from the nVidia 1030 gfx card to the AV to see if it makes a difference. But I feel like it likely won't solve all the problems and may just throw up a few new ones.

The volume definitely doesn't stay the same over all freqencies. I ran this speaker test and noticed the volume's quite low <80Hz, then rises briefly on its way to 130Hz. Then dips again til about 170Hz before rising gradually up to 500Hz before it gets much louder all the way up from there.

I used to get much more satisfying bass from the Marantz.
I'm attaching a crude sketch I made of the frequency response I get from the Denon.

The other weird thing is, the LPF (Low Pass Filter) setting only goes down to 80Hz in the Denon settings, which might explain the poor bass response even though I've told it I'm only using a full range 2 speaker set-up.

Someone actually suggested a stereo amp + AV receiver set up with the AMP fed from the pre-outs from the AV receiver going to the Tannoys and the AV receiver feeding the centre + surrounds, but I was trying to declutter not go box mad under the TV. The Mrs is already hoping for more tidying up now that I've started...

I guess if I add a centre and sub and see how that fairs and go from there....?

SVS PB3000 would have been ideal what you described, but at 1800£ it`s priced so darn high.

I would consider Arendal 1723 1V at 1600€ (1700€ gloss) = ~1350£/1433£. Like SVS it should have phone app control very soon if not already. Big vented cabinet made of HDF which can be run as sealed too, right side firing 13,8" driver (narrow cab but driver also needs 5-10cm clearance), 800w (rms) amp, FR (EQ1 Vented) 17-200Hz (+/-3dB), 63.7H x 45.0W x 55.0D cm, 5year amp warranty - rest 10years. Sound (bass) quality has always been the main aim with Arendal products and the feedback from owners&reviews, measurements supports this.

Another option is two smaller subwoofers optimally placed, not sure what is your maximum budget.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom