Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Recommended speakers for Marantz SR5400

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Turb007, May 16, 2004.

1. Turb007

Turb007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Hi

I bought the Marantz SR5400 on Friday as an upgrade for my old faithful yammy A5 and it sounds great but being the greedy beast I am have realised I may not be getting the best of it with my speakers.

The speakers I currently have are mission m72 front L/R, M7C1 Centre and Eltax HT-2 Bipolar, my sub is a paragidm pdr-10. I've had them all for about 2 1/2 years.

My listening area is about 9ft by 12ft but I have to have my front left and right speaker the whole 9 ft apart, with my centre and TV about a foot behind them ( its a weird shaped room but basically if it was any different, every time you walked through the door you'd bang into a speaker ) :(

anyhow I'm probably going to budget to about £700.00 max and am currently looking at mordant short 906 fronts with 905c centre and 3 902's at the rear.

or the kef 2005.2 with an extra egg for the middle rear . ( although ive read somewhere that the kefs aren't that great with DVD audio or music in general ….could anyone confirm this? )

I'm not able to buy immediately so there's no rush and I've ordered an avia disc today just to see if I can get anymore out of my current set up before wasting money on something I don’t need.

Any opinions on the above would be truly welcome.

Turb

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
  3. Turb007

Turb007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    cool thanks... its good to see you think the missions arn't up to it ..helps me justify the expense :p

thanks for the other option with the avo its worth considering when i get the money saved eventually. you've got them and obviously like em ..would you think they match my amp ... im really not looking for boomers as i watch most stuff at -25 to -20db as the kids or wife are usually in (apart from the odd day they **** of to her fathers and then ita all mine :D ) its clarity first power second.

cheers again

turb

l

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I listen to most music at -30 - -40 db and films at -25- -32db and have no problems with boom. The only thing about the evo3's is they need to be at least 1m from corners and 0.6m from the back walls.

5. Pacha

Pacha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sounds like you would prefer fullsize speakers but just to satisfy your curiosity, I have the original Kef KHT2005 set with the extra rear running with a Denon 2802 amp and Denon 2900 DVD player nd I am delighted with the music side of things. However it depends on whether you listen to music more than watching movies. I used to do a spot of DJ'ing for 5years so I am quite keen on good music sound and I am quite happy with this set up. Movie sound goes without saying, AWESOME!!
    One tip though, regardless of your speaker choice, get a Russ Andrews Classic Powerkord athttp://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?lookup=1&region=UK&currency=GBP&pf_id=1040&customer_id=PAA1725059004140LXZDFKOVIJSKNKZO
    These things REALLY do work! I've connected one to my DVD player and, honestly speaking can't notice too much difference picture wise on my plasma, but the audio bennfits are superb. Well worth the cash! :smashin:

6. Turb007

Turb007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    well to be honest i feel full size will be the "safer" option at the moment.

its between the kef's, MS, Evo and Quad 11L ( might up my budget but they look nice imo).

but my Avia disc arrived today so i will see what difference that will make. the plug looks good btw thanks ...not sure it has the right connection for the marantz. anyway its £50.00 odd less for speakers and interconnects. so might wait but thanks for the link :)

thanks to all so far :D

7. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Acoustic energy speakers are cheaper in a high street shop
    For the pack shown but an extra Evo 1 it would be £790

8. Turb007

Turb007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    cheers bobbypunk :smashin:

any particualr stores ???

Turb

9. Kaleb500

Kaleb500
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got monitor audio bronzes paired up with a SR7400. And i'm well pleased with it. The floor standing option cost about £850 i think for 5.1. Although i am new to the Av game and can't really compare it with anything, so there may be better options about.