Recommended speaker for Denon 2802 amp?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Dr.Rock, Feb 1, 2002.

1. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I have a Denon 2802 amp, which I'm currently using with speakers of my previous prologic setup.

For mains speakers I'm using B&W 600i.
    I'm using a B&W active subwoofer.
    For the centre and rears, I'm using Sony's and those have DEFINATELY got to be replaced to do any justice for my new Denon amp! The audio quality from the Sony erars are just too soft.

What do people suggest I use as replacement speakers, so I can narrow down my choices before I start auditioning?

Thanks.

2. keith cumbria

keith cumbria

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I to am going to purchase a denon 2802 amp and wouldnt mind some of your denon speaker tips what you learn and any demo advice you get
    Ive been told from denon dealers the best match is misson

ive got some threads running take a look at them

3. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I've been told either the Cinema-72 package or the Cinema-73 goes best with my setup, so I'm considering those. Both packages consist of the M72 or M73 fronts respectively, M7C (centre) and M7DS (rear). M72 go on stands whereas M73 are floorstanders. As for which sound better, the M72 or M73 fronts, I have to find a local shop that lets me demo them out. I'll also have to consider which speaker(s) to get as my rear centre.

Cheers.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Dr Rock,

Are you looking to replace all of your speakers or just the centre and rears.

It is important that the front three speakers are voice matched which is usually done by buying from the same manufacturer and preferably from the same range where possible.

A Sony centre with your B & W fronts is a great mismatch. Your easiest upgrade path would be to buy a B & W centre which would be a great improvement.

It is nice if the rears are tonally matched but nowhere near as important. You could either go for another pair of B & W or Mission M7DS (which is what I use).

If you are changing the lot and like the B & W sound why not have a listen to the 601, 602 and 603 speakers.

As a postscript, you and others in your position should try and get to the Bris.tol show this coming weekend where you can listen to loads of different speakers without the pressure of salesmen telling you a load of garbage

It is total rubbish for any dealer to say that the best match for Denon amps are Mission speakers as the sound output of speakers is highly subjective and very seldom will two people like exactly the same sound.

A scan through past postings will probably show that the KEF eggs are the most popular partners for Denon amps at the moment but perhaps these dealers didn't stock them.

5. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi Ian-J,

I am thinking of replacing all my speakers. My B&W's will be utilised elsewhere. I'm not really one to spend a great deal of time demoing speakers, otherwise it'll take me a lifetime! :) Whetever I choose, as long as it delivers all the detailed sound, that's what matters the most. I live with a family, so whatever speakers we get, there will always be someone who won't like the sound of them at first. Then it's just a matter of getting used to them.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had the mission 7 and now have the B&WS 601 S3's
    and their LCR60 s3 centre and have just today bought (out last week) the 600s3's for the rears. The missions are a nice set of speakers but i think the B&W's are easier on the eye's (look a bit more modern) and they sound great.

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It doesn't matter what others in the family like or dislike. If you're paying it is what you like that counts. If you are not paying it is up to you to persuade the cheque book to get what you want.

Unless you have more money than sense you will be living with your choice of speakers for quite a while and there are BIG differences in the sound that different speakers make.

You cannot buy speakers that you haven't heard on the recommendation of others as we all like a different sound. Uncle Eric like M & K, Pointon likes Mission, Sean62 likes B & W and I like Definitive Technology. None of us are right or wrong as we all have different tastes (and budgets).

If you can't get to Bristol find a local dealer and listen to products from B & W, KEF and Mission at the very least. It is worth a couple of hours of your time.

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes Ian knows his stuff and he's right. He didn't just pick his Thai bride from a mag, he went over and tried a few first.

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use after extensive demos of everything !!!!!!!!

KEF Q1 fronts on Custom Design stands (sounded better than the Q3s)
    kef Q9c centre
    kefq8s rears

all except the q8s in dark apple they are lovely like furniture

sound is very smooth and true hi-fi

using a rel Q-150 e sub (superb) blow holes in the walls !!!

All hooked up to a Yamaha rxv-800rds AV Amp

and a Little budget Toshiba sd-210e DVD (as good as anything else I've seen this side of £500)

stereo is also excellent

take 100 hrs + to run in but wonderful never the less

Initially the mission stuff sounds good but after listening for a while they get tiring they are far to bright

B&W are nice but expensive

only problems with the new Kef Q series is they are not discounted anywhere ie missions are always half price !!

got a good deal though ie free stands / shot / quality cable (bi-wire) and interconect for the dvd/amp

At the end of the day listen not for 5 mins but 2-3 hours I did its worth it most decent hi-fi shops will do this mid week when there not busy

Tal- Have fun!!

10. keith cumbria

keith cumbria

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im still looking at what to put with this rang about kef eggs to HIFI JUNKIES and they say mission fs2av s are brilliant for £460 but same speakers at empire direct £369.55 ARE they upto the job for this amp going to find a demo tomorrow same shop has BOSE 10 s and B+W lesiure monitors any pointers for tomorrow friday

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Pointers for demo - don't listen to the Bose first otherwise everything that you listen to afterwards will seem good by comparison.

B & W are excellent speakers but why the oddball leisure ones.
    Have a look at the more normal 601 and 602 series instead which are highly rated

12. keith cumbria

keith cumbria

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tight for space need bookshelves i was going to have kef eggs but anywhere i phone they say mission or b+w what ive already told the thread

13. keith cumbria

keith cumbria

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought fs2av s for a start hi fi junkies matched empire direct any one you speak to round here says they are a giveaway snap them while you can if there no good ill have to drop them from a great height "OH DEAR MR INSURANCE MAN "