Question Recommended software,hardware and programming language in VR industry standards?

Moon2000

Novice Member
Reaction score
In current industry standards, what would be the recommended software and hardware for virtual/mixed/augmented reality? Also what is the most commonly used programming language? I would assume C# or C++, but if there are others that may be considered more popular in the vr industry, I would like to know.

In current industry standards, what would be the recommended software and hardware for virtual/mixed/augmented reality? Also what is the most commonly used programming language? I would assume C# or C++, but if there are others that may be considered more popular in the vr industry, I would like to know.

I have used both Unity and Unreal and settled with Unity for the sake of working with some collaborators who were more used to Unity. But both are the top two engines used in VR development industry. Unreal uses C++ while Unity uses C#. If you are personally starting off and wanting to develop VR applications/games or AR applications for mobile, I highly recommend starting with Unity 3D which is much easier to get fast results and the C# language is an easier coding language to grasp than the more complex C++. Both have AAA game development potential but Indie developers mostly use Unity while bigger developing teams may use Unreal for that "perceived" extra 3D graphical environment polish.

In terms of hardware, it depends on the headset you are using to test your game/app. Just check the headset recommended spec.

Personally I'd advise anyone starting a project right now to use Unreal. UE5 is going to be a godsend for us VR developers because Normals are broken in VR, they only show micro surface detail so you need to add physical geometry instead, which of course introduces A LOT more polys.

Once UE5 is out next year you can just bring your high poly models straight into the engine without needing to bake the detail in.

No idea about the switch from UE3 to UE4 cos I've only started using 4 but I can't imagine Epic making it too much of a pain in the arse to port from 4 to 5.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom