Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Recommended software for DVD +-R?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by nfordenfield, Jul 26, 2003.

1. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just taken the plunge and ordered a Pioneer 106 dvd+-r and as I have very little knowledge with backing up software/burning, what have people had sucess with that i could easily pick up?

2. TEK

TEK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends what you want to backup really. I tend to only use Prassi Primo DVD these days but I don't believe the A06/106 is recognised on it so you'd have to use RecordNow with the latest PX Engine updates (same thing basically but updated)

A lot of people still use Nero but I've never found it that great with my 104 and Panny LSD311 :(

I'm not sure about +R but for -R you should stick with discs using a Ritek dye (G03 or G04) for best results IMHO. I've had great success with console backups and DVD-Video with these (mainly Traxdata) and have stopped buying the more expensive Verbatim that I used to swear by. I'd really advise you stay away from the real cheapies, especially Princo dyes which you find on many discs inlcuding some Datawrite/Datasafe... you gets what you pay for so check out the info on them before buying

A good supplier for media is http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk

3. 50/50

50/50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dvd2one is good for 1:1 backups. Sadly not every type of dvd is copyable.

4. TEK

TEK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVD2One is great as is Pinnacle Instant Copy. DVD Shrink is supposed to be quite good and is free but I haven't used it yet as there are sometimes still a few problems with the results, especially regarding lockups on the layer break

Unless the original DVD-Video is a single layer (DVD5) which is very rare these days then it is not going to be a 1:1 backup as something has to either go or be downsampled. And you'll still need software to actually burn the backup

5. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    RecordNow (Very reliable good burning program)