Quantcast

Recommended Signal Strength and Quality for Hotbird and 19.2e

I finally aligned my 97cm dish to astra 28.2e, luckily I had and old sky zone 1 dish so just check the strength and quality on that with various transponders with my meter then made sure the 97cm dish was equal to or greater than.

I intend to add a multi lnb bracket for hotbird 13 and 19.2e and maybe 23.5e but could someone kindly list a few transponders with recommended signal strength and quality which would give me an idea what to look for when aligning my dish, i.e some weak ones and some strong ones.., usually I would align the azimuth with a strong transponder then the elevation with a weak one since you need to be extra sensitive.

Any advice would also be appreciated, eg. would I need to adjust the elevation if it is already good for 28.2e if I intend to and multiple lnb to dish?

kevkbuk

If you'd of put it on a motor you'd be almost finished now and making better use of the big dish. :D

Strong and weak tps can be found here:
STRONG CHANNELS LIST » purplesat.com - Satellite & Aerial TV Installations & products.

However these aren't weak sats so it shouldn't be critical. Align the dish onto one sat then adjust the LNB bracket for the rest. You'd typically align the dish on the weakest sat or the one in the middle of the range you want.

Not having any luck with 19.2e, on a random transponder I get 77% signal strength and 19-28% quality can't get any better than that, dont know what values I should be looking for anyone know
the s/q for a known transponder?

Also I have triax multi lnb bracket, solid extruded aluminium, so does not bend or flex in the wind, trouble is there is no center LNB, 2 to the left, and 2 to the right, in the instructions it says 13E lnb place 112mm left from center arm, 19.2e lnb 35mm left from center of arm, and 28.2e 114mm right from center arm, nothing listed for 23.5. These are all for London on 85cm dish. I have 97cm dish.

SystemSAT | Triax TD Multiblock Multi LNB Holder - 4 Way by Triax for £13.99

I am using inverto black ultra LNB, 2x dual, 1x quad and octo for 28.2e

Last edited:

MartinPickering

Obviously you are looking for 100% "signal quality" and the actual signal strength is dependent on location, dish efficiency, cable losses and receiver calibration.

How are you measuring dish size? It should be the working diameter but many companies "cheat" and quote the height instead. Ideally, each LNB needs to be positioned with the aid of a professional meter that displays the name of the satellite.

logiciel

You don't need anything bigger than a 80cm dish though 23.5E may get drowned by 28E not that it has anything much on anyway.
19E should be easy to find then everything else follows on from there - a professional meter would obviously be useful but you can manage without it.

winston2010

Not having any luck with 19.2e, on a random transponder I get 77% signal strength and 19-28% quality can't get any better than that, dont know what values I should be looking for anyone know
the s/q for a known transponder?
77% of what? 19-28% of what? Those figures are meaningless as there is no reference or standard.One receiver will show 50%, another 100% for the same signal.

pedro2000uk

I finally aligned my 97cm dish to astra 28.2e, luckily I had and old sky zone 1 dish so just check the strength and quality on that with various transponders with my meter then made sure the 97cm dish was equal to or greater than.

On that size dish on those satellites there's the real potential of overloading, particularly nearer the middle so the signal quality numbers may not seem to be better as you can be pulling over 80dBµV [optimum range is actually 45-65dBµV] so a basic meter can tell you it's a lower quality & actually push you off the best signal as you effectively attenuate the best signal for a weaker one that the meter tells you is better but if you monitor the levels in heavy rain you'll see the sky dish go down & the larger dish's 'reserve' show itself if correctly aligned as neighbours with sky dishes lose their signal.

Some very sensitive cheap Chinese meters will even do this on a sky dish on 28e.

Measure the dish's width & height of the reflector [excluding rim & any raised area at the edge].

Dish: 97CM Technomate (Antenna Gain 38.9-39.8DB)

This is the meter I have

For 28.2e I have 4 feeds coming from it to sat box..

A lnb>diseq switch>sat box
B lnb>diseq switch>sat box
C lnb>quad combiner>quadplexed wall outlet>sat box
D lnb>quadplexed wall outlet>sat box

Cable run from dish to sat box is around 22 Meters for each feed give or take

Using Webro CT100 and Labgear PF100 cable both CAI Approved with TRIAX/Vision Waterproof Compression F Connectors. All connectors and wall outlets are properly terminated with shielding in correct place.

For All feeds Signal is 81-85 and Quality 76-78 as displayed on sat box, no picture break up or freezing and all FTA channels displayed without issues. Not much loss with inclusion of combiner and wall plate, I was expecting more, but not added the UHF signal to it as well as the other LNB's to diseq switch.

Here are my meter readings for 97cm dish with inverto black ultra quad and old sky zone 1 dish fitted with a new zinwell octo lnb

28.2E Transponders>97CM Dish S/Q>Zone 1 Sky Dish S/Q

10773 84/89 79/79
12246 82/74 79/58
12640 81/81 78/66
11390 80/47 77/43
11222 81/38 78/38

Since I took the readings I adjusted the elevation and skew so getting slightly better now on some transponders

Now if anyone can provide me with a list of transponders with s/q like I have listed above but for hotbird 13 and 19.2e astra it would be appreciated as I can just program them into my meter and try and get near enough the same or slight better or worse.

logiciel

Last edited:
logiceil, I know the transponders but I would like some of them listed with tested signal/quality readings like I have done for 28.2e.

I might just get an installer to do the alignment, anyone got a rough idea for how much it would cost to align a sat dish and lnb on 13e, 19.2e, 28.2 and maybe a fourth sat, all that has to be done is alignment, dish mounted and all coax cables routed and terminated.

logiciel

Ah, sorry.
I don't look at the figures but am pretty sure most of them are less than those you quote for 28E.
I just get all the channels on an 80 cm dish without worrying about figures.
No doubt you could do the same, easily without any installer, plus maybe 23.5E the same as mine.

Last edited:
Loiciel, I have 3 x inverto ultra black lnb, 1x quad (13e), 1x dual (19.2) and 1 x octo (28.2). on the 97cm dish and multi lnb arm will they fit fine?, I don't really want to get bullet lnb as I assume its only needed if I want to add 23.5?, still would another twin inverto ultra just about squeeze in between the 19.2 and 28.2 lnb to get 23.5 or do you think I should get a bullet?

This dish aliment is really doing my head in 28.2e was easy, but now my meter is playing up, keeps on giving me a short, so might be better just to get and installer. Have a few other jobs for them to, got some cables on the 3rd floor exterior wall to secure down, don't have a ladder tall enough to reach them, not to mention sealing the cable entry hole. Maybe also strengthen the dish arm will be running 14 x coax cables along it.

logiciel

The huge dish should be far more than adequate for 13, 19, 23.5, and 28 even with the dual and octo.
You have 28 E so it just needs the other three LNBs positioned correctly to get a good result.

Presumably the Triax bracket is designed for Triax dishes... You may find it needs modding a bit.
The technomate I have and triax td dishes use exactly the same lnb mount and arm. Technomate sell the same bracket which is identical to the triax, its fit on the dish arm fine
just putting the lnbs on the bracket is very touch, pretty much brute force or a hammer to them to get them to move. Others have complained to, like dishes vary I am guessing this brackt vary and all not not identical.

For a multi lnb arm where there is no middle position for an LNB, where would one point the dish for 13, 19.2and 28.2? I am guessing at 19.2 sat where 19.2 lnb is 2nd from left.

Is there a way I could keep the dish focusses on 28.2e on the center arm then add 13 and 19.2 to the left?

logiciel

Th LNBs should not be as tight as that - they should move freely and then be fastened in place.
It doesn't matter about the position - as long as it's 28 - 23 - 19 - 13 left to right looking at the dish.

kevkbuk

The technomate I have and triax td dishes use exactly the same lnb mount and arm.
I was thinking more about differences in dish size and shape but still it should be possible to make it work. If you cannot easily adjust them you may want to consider alternative bars.

For a multi lnb arm where there is no middle position for an LNB, where would one point the dish for 13, 19.2and 28.2? I am guessing at 19.2 sat where 19.2 lnb is 2nd from left.
You want 19.2e nearest the middle. Put it on the bar nearest the lnb arm then align the dish until you find 19.2e. The dish will end up actually pointing just away from 19.2e, as the LNB is offset. Once 19.2e is ok add 13e to the bar and find that, then repeat on the other side for 28.2e.

Is there a way I could keep the dish focusses on 28.2e on the center arm then add 13 and 19.2 to the left?
Sure, just move the bar.... However, you'll probably end up with 13 & 19.2 blowing in the breeze or the bracket being weighed down by the lnb cabling.

Trending threads

Top Bottom