1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommended screen size?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by key130, Jun 28, 2004.

1. key130

key130
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I've measured the resultant screen size on my wall from my Optima H30 projector. Dimensions are W x H :225 x 125cm or 88.5 x 49 inches.

From the ceiling, the picture starts around 33cm/9in down.

I've seen an electric model LD2420W at http://www.av4business.co.uk/screens/html/electric.htm

I'm assuming that the quoted dimensions 230x129.5 cm are the visible screen size and that with the black borders, the screen is actually slightly wider and longer.

Is that a correct assumption with most 16:9 screens?

Are there any other (dimension) caveats I need to be aware of when buying a screen?

I'd prefer electric to roll up each night, otherwise young kids would find the hanging screen an ideal swing in the daytime..

Finally, do you have recommendations as to where to buy from?

Thanks,

Al.

2. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Key

Take a look at the optima site for info about what calculations you need to take into account.

http://www.optomahometheater.com/howto/guide.htm

It covers all the info you need, alternatives would be to use the projection clacs on www.projectorcentral.com or optima's own clacs

good luck.

PS if your going to use a ceiling mount make sure its one that gives you a bit of flexibility for the final position. look at something the sms brackets!!

3. key130

key130
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

I've ordered the Slimline 240 screen (231 x 130 cm viewable area) from www.drhscreens.co.uk. It seems reasonable for the price. Hopefully get it early next week.

Will try and post pics once I have it installed.

Regards.

Al.

4. key130

key130
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, here is the finished product. The right main speaker gets pushed back behind the sofa when I'm not watching. The center speaker is usually balanced on the sofa top and again, put behind when not in use.

I'm happy with my screen. I thought it would be watchable in partial light, but I find that the best results come from total/near darkness in the room. (I'm trying to find the thread where the best H30 settings are shown).

The picture is huge and the sound is fantastic. I love watching DVDs. This has been a worthwhile investment.

Go buy your system today!

Al.

Attached Files: