1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommended S-ATA Hard Disk for video capture/editing/conversions.

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Dr.Rock, Mar 28, 2004.

1. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Can someone please recommend me a good performance S-ATA 8MB cache hard disk to buy for the new computer I'm building?

The HD will be used as my main hard disk, for running the operating system and doing digital-video capture and MPEG-2 conversions, playing games, etc. The drive has to be reliable as well, something that doesn't fail quickly, one that takes a constant thrashing (constant read and writes, because I'll be doing video capture/editing/conversions, etc). The bigger, the better. I have looked at Wester Digital, Seagate Baracuda, Maxtor, etc, all saying theirs is the best, etc, but we don't know who to believe. Processor will be a 3.2 GHz Intel, so the drive has to be something that doesn't act as too much of a bottleneck on system speed. I know about the WD 10,000 rpm drive, but that's too small and (I beleive) expensive.

Thanks.

2. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    The best performer is the WD, the quietest is the Seagate. But to be honest they arent that far apart so just go for whichever you can get the best price on and check all 3 are still giving 3 year warranties, as no hd maufacturer, and i mean NONE, make what I would class as reliable hard drives. If you use the drive constantly it will after a certain time start to becoming very noisy (that high pitched constant whine) and will fail at some point. It is the worst sector of the IT industry IMO.

3. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Are they all (hard disks) fast enough for video capture and other video applications, without the risk of missed frames?

Thanks.

4. Duncan Craig

Duncan Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Don't capture to your system drive, stick to media only on the SATA.

5. Origin

Origin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using a Western Digital 200GB SATA drive in a Mesh built PC with 3.0GHz P4, 1GB DDR400 RAM.

Capturing from my Panasonic MX-500 into MovieMaker2 (I haven't decided on an alternative editor yet, if I need one) has so far been faultless. This software/hard drive combination is fast enough to scrub backwards and forwards along the timeline as much as I like without the software ever getting mixed up, going slow, or losing it's place. The disk is obviously well up to the job.

Even though a Western Digital was supplied in my PC, I've always found Seagates to be the most reliable. Avoid Maxtor drives like the plague. I've only ever known three hard drives go wrong in 20 years of PC use (not mine thankfully!) and they were all Maxtor's! I couldn't trust IBM drives either since they released all those infamous "DeathStars"...

As for Duncan Craig's comment - I guess it must be a Mac specific thing?

6. Duncan Craig

Duncan Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    No, it's certainly not a Mac specific thing, Thankyou.
    The drive may well work for you on your PC, but a lot of people use slower machine than yours, and the advice I give will help to speed things up.

Anyway, my 1.2TB Raid gives me 230MB/s and push it to the Max every day editing television programmes, (not something I or any of my collegues do on a Windoze machine!) So take my advice if you like, or don't - I'm not fussed.

OH, the 2x250GB SATAs in my G5 are for odds and ends.

It's sensible advice to owners of PCs with specs well below the average Mac. Sure you can scrub audio on a single layer of video, but try it on a more complicated timeline. Push the PC to it's limit. Then move the media away from the system drive you'll see an increase in performance. I'm talking about HD disc activity which ties up the caches, like thumbnails, and such. Perhaps not on the average home video, but it still makes sense to keep it away. You push your system drive with 200GB of media and 15GB of system stuff on it, eventually when the drive dies you lose everything. I prefer to have my system disc ticking over, not getting hammered with constant seeking of big chucks of media.

And I hate Maxtor too, but only because their external FW drives used to be cack, though they have improved an it now, I buy LaCie d2 drives or build my own.

Don't worry about dropped frames on these new drives, they all all fast enough for at least on stream of DV, I can get 4 from my SATA when I tested it.

7. Origin

Origin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Duncan, I was in no way suggesting that the Mac was anyway inferior, because of your recommendation. I just wondered if it had any *specific* relevance to the operation of Macs, because the thread starter said he was building an Intel machine...

Nevertheless, it was quite hilarious reading yet another typically childish "mine is better than yours" response from a Mac user. I thought that these days everyone had just grown up and agreed to differ on their choice of hardware.

8. Duncan Craig

Duncan Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I never mentioned I had a Mac on my first post, I own all sorts of computers however.

I'm not meaning to sound arsey though, Sorry.
    Too many non-Mac peeps spend their existance slagging off Apple without ever owning or using one. So that's me on the offensive, as a minority Mac user offering advice and experience to others and it relates to any computer.

Calling Mac users 'Childish' is a case in point, we tend to enjoy our computers more than Microsoft users, and would like others to know it. Defending my corner is just something I do, don't judge me mucker.

As for Duncan Craig's comment - I guess it must be a Mac specific thing?
    The tone of that comment sounds a bit odd don't you agreed?

Tata!