Recommended routers?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by MIKEHENNESSY, Jan 6, 2012.

1. MIKEHENNESSY

MIKEHENNESSY
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a Netgear Rangemax DG834N WHICH IS ABOUT 4.5 years old. Bought it as it had better coverage for us as we have a converted office in a loft space so the router serves devices over 3 floors. All worked fine until recent months when we are having constant problems and keep having to reset the router but each time we do we have to leave it switched off for at least 30 mins or it will not restart. I am wondering if it is past it's sell by date or whether it is just struggling to cope with the increased number of devices using it. We have a home and work laptop, iPad, wireless printer, and blackberry and iPhone. Also the router has a hardware Ethernet connection to our blu ray player. Additionally there is a Vodafone sure signal box plugged in to the router to give our two phones a 3G signal as we live in a very poor mobile reception area and added to the fact that our broadband speed is pretty poor. Current downstream is showing as 224 Kbps and upstream 384 but we have had it as high as 1.2 downstream. Do you know if this is a broadband connection issue or do we require a new router to be able to cope with increased demand from all these devices? Not sure if the downstream speed showing on my router login on laptop relates to the overall speed coming in or if it is the speed to the laptop only? Any help would be appreciated. If new router, any recommendations on one with best coverage due to being in large house.

2. mark2410

mark2410

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    line stats? also who is your isp

the connection speed your laptop shows is just for the wifi connection between it and the router, this will set the max possible intenet speed too but its likely much much less.

actually a WNR2000 could solve things if its a wifi issue. really need the line stats to tell though.

or you could just say fcuk it and get something like a WNDR3700, which is about as good as coverage is likely to get from just one wifi router but cant promise will improve things.

3. MIKEHENNESSY

MIKEHENNESSY
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, how do i get the line stats? ISP is Eclipse. Thinking about the router do you reckon it is knackered? Or is it a case of a low broadband speed will then suffer even further when split over multiple devices? Would a new router make any difference whatsoever if the incoming speed was crap?

4. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,610
    None. Unless it could sustain better throughput than you current router. Of course it's a gamble as to whether it will. It could conceivably be worse, though one would hope newer tech. (new chips, new cct designs etc.) would do a better (or at least not worse) job than the encumbent.

Of course, Internet (and also wi-fi) bandwidth is finite and shared. The more devices you have, the more they have to contend for the resources (it is "competed" for - there's no sense of "fairness" - you can sometimes get bandwidth hogs.) Usually the ISP link is much slower than local LAN.

I suggest you also be clear in your own mind as to whether you've got a wi-fi issue or and ISP link issue. When the router "drops" are you loosing wi-fi sessions but your wired devices are ok, of does the wi-fi stay up (local devices can talk to each other) and the Internet link has died.

5. MIKEHENNESSY

MIKEHENNESSY
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all for the help/advice. I contacted the ISP who responded "Thank you for your email,
    I have checked your connection and can see that the line speed is indeed down at 224kbps, with a very high SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) of 26.
    I have checked that the line is stable, which it is, so I have initiated an SNR reset on the line to bring the noise level down and the speeds back up.
    Please re-test the speed of the line this evening."
    The downstream speed is now back up to 1216kbps which although not great, is about the best we have had here! Will hold off the new router for time being unless anyone thinks it will make a difference?