1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommended projector on a budget

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Deano70, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Deano70

Deano70
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All im in the process of setting up a home cinema room and im thinking of going down the projector route to give me that big screen experience, can you recommend a projector that will give me a good image, I currently use in my TV setup a Sharp SD-AT50DVH surround system and a Toshiba RD-XS32 which both go into my Tosh 32ZD98B. :confused:PS Got about £1200 to play with.

2. pmc

pmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    The new Panasonic AE700 and Sanyo Z3 both come in about that price and both seem excellent from the reviews and comments (I'm waiting for my Panny now).

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The Optoma H30 is a DLP so warnings about rainbows apply, but there have been some good comments about it round here recently.

4. Deano70

Deano70
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi PMC can you give me a review when you get it up and running

5. pmc

pmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Well its my first projector so I might not be very objective. It'll probalby be 'OH MY GOD, ITS AWESOME!!!'

At least I hope so :)

6. Export Strength

Export Strength
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Find a dealer with an INFOCUS SP4805 and go have a look. The 'rainbow' effect that single chip DLP projectors suffer from is slightly more evident due to it's slower colour wheel but in terms of over-all picture quality it's unbeatable for the price.
    A word on the 'rainbow' effect. This effect is due to the sequential introduction of colour to a black-and-white image. However the brain has quite a bit to do with it as well (no time for medical explanations now). Some people find the effect very off putting but others hardly notice it at all.
    You'll never know which you are until you have a look.
    If you do find the effect bothers you then the Panasonic PTAE500 and Sanyo Z3 are good LCD options.
    For those with bigger budgets - the rainbow almost vanishes on the more expensive models... £2000+

7. pmc

pmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Well its my first projector so I might not be very objective. It'll probalby be 'OH MY GOD, ITS AWESOME!!!'

At least I hope so :)