recommended progressive scan DVD player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by daz500, Oct 16, 2004.

1. daz500

daz500
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now that I have my Panasonic PWD6 (42") plasma what would be a good DVD player to use? I currently have a Pioneer DV-444s which was good enough for the old TV and projector.

What sort of budget should be set aside for one? Richer Sounds sell ones starting at £80 but that seems a bit cheap for a DVD player. Is it necesary to spend big bucks these days on a progressive scan DVD player?

cheers,
    Darren

2. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +377
    I have the same screen as you, and recently got the Denon DVD2200 (£300 reduced from £600). The results are as good as I have seen, and I would recommend it.

If you are looking to spend a little bit less, the £150 Pioneer 575 is a very good prg scan performer.

3. daz500

daz500
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't mind paying the extra money if there are going to be better results. I was actually very surprised that it was possible to get a DVD player for £80 let alone a decent one. I guess i'm asking if it's worth paying £300+ these days for a DVD player ?

4. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    You get what you pay for, too feed a 42" plasma I would be looking at a high end player, especially if your set will accept digital in (DVI or HDMI). I just brought the Denon 2910 £540, as a upgrade to my HK 506 brought 6 months ago for £350. The HK was a fantastic player, but laked digital out put and with my new PJ (panny AE700) the Denon will allow me 1:1 pixil matching. I am still awaiting the HDMI cable but even without going digital I can see a difference. In the end all I can suggest it lots of demos

5. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,117
    I got the Sony NS585 from Amazon.co.uk and it has been a fine player with my projector (£88 for R2 only/£99.99 for multi region),

There is also the cheaper Pioneer 470 if you don't want the audio capabilties of the Pioneer 575.

6. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,268
    The new Arcam DV29 has a great picture from its HDMI output too. If you've got a decent display then it's worth investing in a decent source to do it justice. If you're feeling tight then the Arcam DV79 is a good budget option.

7. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    The extra money pays for better MPEG decoders, video DACs and de-interlacer chips. As has been said before, 'you get what you pay for.' 300 notes for player from a manufacturer of Denons calibre is a bargain.

Some of the experts on here would say that the PW6 is as good being fed with a decent analogue progressive signal as it is with DVI/HDMI anyway, so the Denon would seem an excellent way to go.