1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommended Processor for FFDShow and Nvidia

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by inzaman, Dec 6, 2004.

1. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    Does anybody have a recommended processor speed for FFDShow and Nvidia.

I currently have an AMD XP 2500 which was fine with FFDShow and Powerdvd codecs, but i have now changed my codecs to Nvidia and am really enjoying the picture quality with this and FFDShow (to the point where i am no longer wanting to tweak). The problem i am currently having though is that with PAL material the picture keeps jumping, when i look at task manager the processor is as 95-100% :eek: .
    With NTSC material it is however at 75-85% and hence to jumping.

Would a XP 3000 be enough to cope with this i.e would the processor utilisation drop to about 20% of what it currently is with the processor being about 20% faster (in simple terms) or does anybody know if it is currently just maxing out and ffdshow will keep on using whatever spedd is chucked at it, it appeas that NTSC is okay though.

I dont want to go and spend £100 on a processor just to find that i am having the same problem and at the same time now i have seen how good the picture is i just dont want to go back to not using the codecs and ffdshow. Thank inza

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    No, FFDSHOW uses a finite amount of procesor time for the filters you have, it won't use whatever's there. If you're seeing 95-100% now then you'll probably be okay with a 20% increase in processor power.

What filters are you using, with what parameters?

3. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    At the moment it is purely the set up as per the HTPC article you posted the link to a while back. If i do anything else other than that i then get problems with NTSC material as well, i.e it is quite processor hungry.

My guess was if a go with a XP 3000 then in theory the current PAL usage of 95-100% will drop by 20% i.e to 75-80% and NTSC will go down to 60-75%, but i didnt know if that was what would happen in practive. It was okay until i loaded the Nvidia codecs so i gues they must also be taking up some or more processor time than the powerdvd ones, but i cannot go back :)

4. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    I have overclocked my XP2500 to that of a XP2800, didnt want to go too far incase i burnt it out, and the stuttering/jumping that i was experiencing on PAL material has now gone :clap: .

I am now extremely happy with the quality that these codecs and ffdshow gives on both NTSC and PAL material.

It must be more of a complex operation to post process and upscale PAL material.

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Just keep an eye on your processor temperature :)

6. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    I am going to but i havent pushed it too far, i have read reports that the XP2500 can actually be overclocked to a XP3200 :eek:

It quite good being able to do that as i can now save my £'s and wait until the 64bit processors become more common place i.e there is also 64 bit post processing software.

7. dek1965

dek1965

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    clocked mine to that, runs great,temp at 50 under full load :clap:

8. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    Dek i was tempted to go that far but i also understand that you need to adjust the voltage from 1.65, do you know if this is true and if so what it needs to be?

9. dek1965

dek1965

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    i never touched the voltage, i just upped the fsb to 190, it ran steady as a rock, but i have in the past had to tweak the voltage settings on other mobo's and never had a prob, had 1 running a 1.85v for about a year once without any probs :thumbsup:

10. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    I cannot be far behind you then, i was running at 180 and 1.65v but PAL Superbits we still jumping/stuttering so i have upped it to 182 and voila no problem whatsoever, unless it burns out ;)

11. Embarker

Embarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    run the voltage at 1.8 or 1.85 and you'll get 400fsb and over 2.4ghz - fully loaded my temps are under 40 degrees - remember heat is the true criminal.

12. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    As it is working i should leave well alone but the temptation of running at 2.4ghz and seeing what the processor utilisation would be like on FFDShow might be too much, i think i will try it tonight.

13. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    Actually just before i do, what cooling are you using Embarker as my heatsink is rated to XP3200 but that is a normal XP3200 not an XP2500 working its b**S off to acheive XP3200 speeds.

14. Embarker

Embarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    A Zalman CNPS7000 which due to the design of my server case has another slot over the cooler for another fan. I use both in silent mode ie, under 1400 rpms. The extra fan gave me a 10 degree drop in temp.

If you are "trying" this o/c i'd run the fan at max and then monitor what the temps do.

i o/c to help get my WMVD rating high enough to deal with 1080p HD, but now I have the 6600gt the CPU loads has dropped by 40%

Let us know what happened.

Rgds

Dave

15. Nathanc

Nathanc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    inzaman, I think what you will find is that a higher FSB is helping the decoding more than the ultimate clock speed.

Since heat is your enemy, I suggest (if your board lets you) that you try reducing the multiplier and increasing the FSB as high as it will go. The goal is to try to keep the total speed the same whilst getting as a high an FSB as possible!

With an XP2500, you should start by dropping the multiplier to 9 and ramping the FSB up to 200 (assuming you have PC3200 or any Crucial since it will go that high by increasing the timings). In fact, if your memory and board will do it, drop the multiplier to 8.5 and push the FSB as far as it will go.

Once you have stability (at the original 1800mhz ish) you can start increasing the multiplier again until the chip starts getting too hot.

Most (but not all) XP2500's will quite happily run at XP3200 speeds just by increasing the FSB to 200mhz.

PS overclocking the CPU stresses other components... you have been warned!

16. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    Nathanc thanks for the assistance, i have Crucial PC2700 memory so i take it that is okay to use with an overclocked processor.

I will reduce the multiplier, i did try and increase this firstly but it wouldnt so thought that it must be locked, but i will try and decrease this downwards.

The mobo allows the fsb to be set to a maximum of 250 so gives quite a lot of flexibility. I did just increase the fsb straight to 200 firstly but the pc wouldnt boot so i had to reset the cmos, hence the earlier question about the voltage.

I guessed that it would strain other parts but so long as it doesnt damage the hard drive(s) the rest can be replaced, as my only other option was to buy a new processor and then i would have got a new mobo because i would have gone for the 64 bit.