Recommended picture settings for Panasonic UB820

dglynn1990

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a Panasonic UB820 and I’m trying to get the most out of the player with my blu-rays. 4K Blu-rays look stunning, however, some of my older Blu-rays and DVDs don’t look so great. I appreciate that the older discs won’t have the same impression as a 4K but I’m wondering what settings on the player will help to make it look crisp?

I’ve been playing with the sharpness settings (Luma Frequency High and Medium) also Chroma and Edge correction. Although, I don’t really understand these settings and how they affect the picture.

Can anybody shed any light on these settings and maybe some suggestions on the levels I need to adjust to for a great picture?

Thanks very much!
Dan 😊

I’d reset those to defaults and first look at getting your TV settings spot on.

I agree with Clem here -- it's best not to fool with a player's picture adjustment tools (in my opinion, Panasonic goes completely overboard with these, even for "tweakers;" I mean, what is the point of having picture modes like Normal, Retro Cinema, etc. PLUS the ability to adjust all picture parameters like sharpness, contrast, etc., PLUS those specialty picture modes just for HDR, etc. etc. etc...would have been better if there was one output mode with maybe some adjustment tools for noise reduction and sharpness, et al, like what Oppo used to do with their units).

Leave those at the default settings and make adjustments to your display.

FWIW, I actually don't touch my Panasonic UB9000's default settings for standard DVD playback -- and this includes leaving the player's noise reduction and edge correction settings at what the company adjusts them to out of the box (all NR sliders on "2" and edge correction on "2").

I have mine mostly set to 'Automatic', yet for some reason, my "Jaws 4K Blu-ray will NOT play in anything than HDR10+. (I have changed virtually everything, to no avail). I bought this player for the joy of watching Dolby Vision, (daft idea) and out of my two DV discs so far (Jaws and The Matrix) only The Matrix will play in DV. Where have I gone wrong?

I have mine mostly set to 'Automatic', yet for some reason, my "Jaws 4K Blu-ray will NOT play in anything than HDR10+. (I have changed virtually everything, to no avail). I bought this player for the joy of watching Dolby Vision, (daft idea) and out of my two DV discs so far (Jaws and The Matrix) only The Matrix will play in DV. Where have I gone wrong?
What is your TV?
For a TV which displays both DV and HDR10+ and for a disc with both HDR10+ and Dolby VIsion (like Jaws) the default playback is HDR10+. To get DV in that situation you have to turn HDR10+ off in the UB820 settings. The Matrix will play OK in DV as that disc doesn't also have HDR10+.

Thanks GoingGoingGon, I thought it might be something like that, as I suppose one must be the 'default' HDR setting, but hadn't tried it yet! Thanks for coming back to me so soon. I'll give it a try.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom