• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Recommended PC Upgrade Help

flaperise

Hi All,

I currently have a Custom Build with a NZXT Case I picked up from a guy at work for £150,

here's a picture of the current specs.

Specs.png

As well as a new Case which I've been looking at is a Sharkoon Night Shark RGB Case, I plan to go watercooling as this current system is Air cooled.

I plan to have a newer I7 atleast and possibly a 1080 but may go for a 1070 because of Budget.

this is why I'm asking for upgrade advice as I don't know if pretty much all of that minus the HDD's need to be reset so meaning I might as well build an entirely new one.

I originally planned to upgrade the case with the existing components then change them all Bit by bit, I think the Motherboard maybe too old to support a new I7 Processor but not 100% sure.

Also the power supply is a GX 750Watt

I'd be glad to hear your suggestions.

Thank you.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Hi All,

I currently have a Custom Build with a NZXT Case I picked up from a guy at work for £150,

here's a picture of the current specs.

View attachment 1120028

As well as a new Case which I've been looking at is a Sharkoon Night Shark RGB Case, I plan to go watercooling as this current system is Air cooled.

I plan to have a newer I7 atleast and possibly a 1080 but may go for a 1070 because of Budget.

this is why I'm asking for upgrade advice as I don't know if pretty much all of that minus the HDD's need to be reset so meaning I might as well build an entirely new one.

I originally planned to upgrade the case with the existing components then change them all Bit by bit, I think the Motherboard maybe too old to support a new I7 Processor but not 100% sure.

Also the power supply is a GX 750Watt

I'd be glad to hear your suggestions.

Thank you.
Going to be brutal, but no point in upgrading that PC.
The i7 is the best CPU for that motherboard, so you will need to buy new CPU, RAM and Motherboard. You can keep the hard drives, but I would sell everything else (you would probably make a profit as well). Even the PSU, do you know the age? You do not want to buy new components, only for the PSU to fail in 6 months and destroy them (highly unlikely, but for the sake of £60-70 for a new, decent PSU, not worth the risk).
Do not buy a GTX series card (apart from the 1080ti) as the RTX cards are quicker, and cheaper.
If you intend to stick with 1080p for the foreseeable future, I would just purchase a RTX 2060 and use that with the current setup, along with a SSD

flaperise

Going to be brutal, but no point in upgrading that PC.
The i7 is the best CPU for that motherboard, so you will need to buy new CPU, RAM and Motherboard. You can keep the hard drives, but I would sell everything else (you would probably make a profit as well). Even the PSU, do you know the age? You do not want to buy new components, only for the PSU to fail in 6 months and destroy them (highly unlikely, but for the sake of £60-70 for a new, decent PSU, not worth the risk).
Do not buy a GTX series card (apart from the 1080ti) as the RTX cards are quicker, and cheaper.
If you intend to stick with 1080p for the foreseeable future, I would just purchase a RTX 2060 and use that with the current setup, along with a SSD

Hi there,

Yeah I was thinking that I do need to get a new Case as well, would a 1070 be okay?? as I've been looking at them and they are within my budget.

I also plan to go Watercooled as well.

flaperise

I know I deffo want to get a Sharkoon Night Shark RGB Case what Motherboard would you recommend?

I think a new 750Watt PSU will be enough and I plan to put either a 1060 or 1070 with a New I7 in it.

Want to Put DDR4 Ram RGB too and go SSD with my Sata's in there too.

moonbeam120

See my reply on the other thread. Please close this one there is no point in having two threads on the same subject.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Hi there,

Yeah I was thinking that I do need to get a new Case as well, would a 1070 be okay?? as I've been looking at them and they are within my budget.

I also plan to go Watercooled as well.
Again do not bother with the GTX 1070, the RTX 2060 is cheaper and better.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom