Recommended over ear headphones sub 200 pounds

muljao

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I am probably going to buy the AKG K550 due they are supposed to be great an comfy. I don't care what the headphones look like, just want comfortable with good sound, less sound leaking is a bonus

I use a dragonfly red, mostly for flacs off a pc. Is there other options I should consider, thanks

Yes, loads.

What have you heard so far? Have you established what kind of sound you do and don't like?
Thanks,

Where I live there are virtually no places to try. I have a pair of AKG k72 over ear, and a pair of akg 451 on ears. The 451s are fantastic, the k72s are a little flat/dead sounding. I'd like a lively enough, warm sounding over ear that sounds similar to my 451s which I like, but want home phones

Where I live there are virtually no places to try.
Where are you?

And will you consider second hand? That way you can try things and move them on if they're not right.

I assume your dragonfly will do a reasonable job from a PC, but you don't want anything really hard to drive.

Where are you?

And will you consider second hand? That way you can try things and move them on if they're not right.

I assume your dragonfly will do a reasonable job from a PC, but you don't want anything really hard to drive.
I'm in south of Ireland, the only places that sell headphones nearby are Harvey Norman and pcworld. I'd probably just buy new, a one off purchase, I don't think I am to demanding. I'd like to hear the 550s alright before buying, but from what I've read they probably be fine for me. I'm not sure how good the dragon fly is at driving headphones, but I've read it's 2.1v output should be ok for most

I'm in south of Ireland, the only places that sell headphones nearby are Harvey Norman and pcworld. I'd probably just buy new, a one off purchase, I don't think I am to demanding. I'd like to hear the 550s alright before buying, but from what I've read they probably be fine for me. I'm not sure how good the dragon fly is at driving headphones, but I've read it's 2.1v output should be ok for most
Well there are lot of options around the price. The K550s you're looking at are closed headphones - is there a reason you want closed, as open are generally better at a given price if you don't need the isolation.

The AKG K172 Pro is under £200 sometimes, and you can also get the Sennheiser HD600 for that price. You like your AKG, so that maybe the safest route, although I don't think they're generally considered warm sounding headphones.

Well there are lot of options around the price. The K550s you're looking at are closed headphones - is there a reason you want closed, as open are generally better at a given price if you don't need the isolation.

The AKG K172 Pro is under £200 sometimes, and you can also get the Sennheiser HD600 for that price. You like your AKG, so that maybe the safest route, although I don't think they're generally considered warm sounding headphones.
Thanks, I'll look at those options.

I picked closed back as I may use these in a living room where the rest of family would watch TV so a little isolated is a bonus

Thanks, I'll look at those options.

I picked closed back as I may use these in a living room where the rest of family would watch TV so a little isolated is a bonus
Ah. In that case you might want to ignore the ones I mentioned :)

For closed there's the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0, the Meze 99 Neo, or even the ATH-M50x which are very popular and a bit cheaper. Have a look for some reviews and see if any seem something you'd like.

Ah. In that case you might want to ignore the ones I mentioned :)

For closed there's the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0, the Meze 99 Neo, or even the ATH-M50x which are very popular and a bit cheaper. Have a look for some reviews and see if any seem something you'd like.
Oh ok, I'll look at the closed back ones. Thanks again

I've just bought a pair of AKG 550s. Still need some more hours on them but they are a very relaxing listen. Enough bass for me and the mids and highes are very detailed with good roll offs. Suits the type of music I like, female voices especially are good as is the presentation of accoustic guitar. I don't think heavy rock would sound too good, they may be a bit too safe for that. Sound stage is good with plenty of seperation of instruments. They are very comfortable to wear.

Only dislike is the fixed wiring. Not worried abount length of the wire as they are for home use only from a Marantz 6006 CD or my Denon receiver.

Have you thought about

Moderator edit: spam link removed and member banned

headphones from Audio-Technica[/URL]?
These over-ear headphones are outfitted with exclusive 45 mm True Motion Drivers, which utilize lightweight voice coils, a custom-mounted printed circuit board and specially designed diaphragm to improve transient response and minimize sound distortion for rich, detailed audio reproduction.

The ATH-MSR7 headphones also feature multi-layered air damping technology for extended mid-to-low frequency response. The housings, designed to “mirror” the full shape of the ear, are constructed of an aluminum/magnesium mix, layered to provide a lightweight, rigid structure that reduces unwanted resonance. Three precisely placed vents within these layers work to control air flow and improve dynamics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where are you?

I'm all for second hand, but have never considered if for headphones. Sounds a bit unhygienic or is that just me?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom