• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Recommended OSX Email Client?

Markee

Hi

Can anyone please recommend a decent, reliable email client for OSX (Lion) on BT Broadband (IMAP, BT Yahoo)?

I have used both Apple Mail and Outlook 2011 and they both have their problems:

Apple Mail constantly nags for a password saying the incorrect password is being used, even though the correct password has been set, saved and saved to keychain.

Outlook 2011 just seems to give up and forget its supposed to receive emails. Today an email came through to my phone at 16.01 and at 18.20 it still hadn't appeared in Outlook, not matter how many times I clicked send / receive or synchronise now. The message in the toolbar says its connected and all folders are up to date.

On searching via Google, this seems to be a common problem that few have found to fix by the recommended fixes.

Can anyone please recommend a decent OSX email client that works with Exchange, BT IMAP, iCloud IMAP and POP?

Or, is there a possibility this is a BT / Yahoo server problem?

danrich1

A few to consider are Postbox, Sparrow and Thunderbird.

I get the mail.app password glitch occasionally, but not for a while am glad to say. Not sure how i fixed it, sorry..! (perhaps something to do with Keychain??)

gl

SteveU30

Distinguished Member
It sounds like a server issue to be honest. I have no issues at all with my gmail account(s) on Apple Mail and my iPhone and iPad.

Are you running imap across your devices?

Markee

Yes, IMAP across all devices (iOS).

dante01

Distinguished Member
It sounds like a server issue to be honest. I have no issues at all with my gmail account(s) on Apple Mail and my iPhone and iPad.

I've a Virgin Media email account and Virgin use gmail for their email provision. I too occasionally get instances of repeatedly being asked by Apple's Mail for my password. This was the case with Snow Leopard and still now the case with Lion.

I've heard say that creating a new accounting and deleting the account displaying the issue resolves the situation?

Opinion seems to be that the issue revolves around the email server being tasked rather than it being an issue with the OS or with the email client being used?

Last edited:

dc8900

Distinguished Member
A few to consider are Postbox, Sparrow and Thunderbird.

When I use to use email clients on my home system my preference for other than Mail and Outlook use to be Thunderbird but while it's a brilliant client, I can't fully recommend it in consideration that the Mozilla Foundation will stop directly developing it after version 14 (so in about a year). This means it will be up to the wider open source developer community to direct development but Mozilla is "pledging to provide resources for said efforts."

Mozilla to halt further development of open-source email client Thunderbird | The Verge

P.S. on the whole Mail constantly asking for passwords thing (one thing that made me abandon it), it would constantly ask for the password for my hotmail email account about every 48 hours but it wouldn't do so for my gmail accounts.

For another alternative client but not free is the rather good Postbox http://www3.postbox-inc.com/features it currently costs US$9.95 but they do a 30 day free trial, so you can see if it works for you before you digitally hand over your cash.

Last edited:

MartinPickering

Apple Mail constantly nags for a password saying the incorrect password is being used, even though the correct password has been set, saved and saved to keychain.

Outlook 2011 just seems to give up and forget its supposed to receive emails.

Mail will also give up if you click "cancel". It automatically puts the offending account off-line.
Both of those email clients are exhibiting symptoms of server problems. I think you'll get similar symptoms regardless of what email software you use.

Are you using your own domain name and email server? If not, then it would be worth trying it.

Bear in mind that millions of Mac users (including me) employ "mail" without problems, so the software is not the cause of your problems.

Last edited:

CamFire

Distinguished Member
Try logging directly into Yahoo mail via a browser and then logout before using your Mail or Outlook again. I have a few Yahoo-hosted BT internet mail accounts and this is what I found to fix the issue.

D

Deleted member 27989

Absolutely 100% a server issue. I've had it with two of my several own owned domains. I contacted supported and within 2 minutes they fixed it at their end. What seems to be happening is that imap access gets throttled back and with Mail being fully multi threaded it could easily run out of connections. Especially if you also have a phone and tablet also looking at logging in using that same account...

They should sort it for you...But good luck trying to get it explained...

Markee

dejongj said:
Absolutely 100% a server issue. I've had it with two of my several own owned domains. I contacted supported and within 2 minutes they fixed it at their end. What seems to be happening is that imap access gets throttled back and with Mail being fully multi threaded it could easily run out of connections. Especially if you also have a phone and tablet also looking at logging in using that same account...

They should sort it for you...But good luck trying to get it explained...

Thanks for the update.

It would be really useful to know what the server problem was that they fixed their end? I assume from your message above it's something to do with number of connections or throttling?

D

Deleted member 27989

Markee said:
Thanks for the update.

It would be really useful to know what the server problem was that they fixed their end? I assume from your message above it's something to do with number of connections or throttling?

They limited the number if concurrent imap connections. Two minutes later they upped the number and it worked again for me and their other mac customers. They thanked me helping to diagnose as a lot of mac users complained and they had no idea what it was.

NewfieDrool

Banned
I was getting the password constantly and had to log online to my BT account and log off then my Mac mail would work.
There was a super long thread on the BT forums which was closed in the end.

I've upgraded to ML and my mail works perfectly now which is great as I was getting really fed up with it.
I also noticed that I could not close mail by choosing the option on the dock. It would crash mail and I had to force close it each time but now that's working as it should.

CH_Peter

Sparrow was the only real alternative that I found that was worth any outlay. However, since ML's introduction and Sparrow being discontinued, I've gone back to Mail. It works very well and does everything I need. It handles threads and conversations, has a nicely customisable shortcuts bar and now (of course) perfect notifications.

CH_Peter

An update to Sparrow has addressed some minor issues and seems to have notifications working with ML. However, still noted a couple of issues. Threading is not as easy to follow as Mail's and the badge count of unread email seems to be incorrect from time to time.

Sebastalona

Distinguished Member
An update to Sparrow has addressed some minor issues and seems to have notifications working with ML. However, still noted a couple of issues. Threading is not as easy to follow as Mail's and the badge count of unread email seems to be incorrect from time to time.

And clicking the email in notification centre still does not take you into the email. I wish they would sort that in the next update. It doesn't work in Growl either.

CH_Peter

And clicking the email in notification centre still does not take you into the email. I wish they would sort that in the next update. It doesn't work in Growl either.

If you are forwarding Growl notifications to NC using Hiss, then clicking won't work (I think that's how Sparrow is working with NC for me, I have just realised). Only apps that send notifications direct to NC work with a direct click. Mail does work with a direct click.

Sebastalona

Distinguished Member
If you are forwarding Growl notifications to NC using Hiss, then clicking won't work (I think that's how Sparrow is working with NC for me, I have just realised). Only apps that send notifications direct to NC work with a direct click. Mail does work with a direct click.

No, clicking on the notification just makes Sparrow active but does not take me into my emails (for me).

The native mail app works fine though.

I'm not forwarding the notifications from Growl, I have added Sparrow in the Notifications preferences.

CH_Peter

OK. Guess that's a shortcoming of either Sparrow's implementation or NC. As you say, Mail takes me right to the message.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom