1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommended online retailer for PC bits?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Bert Coules, Apr 28, 2002.

1. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Would anyone care to recommend an online retailer for PC components? I'm seriously thinking about putting together an entry-level HCPC and it would be good to know about a reliable supplier.

Thanks in advance.

Bert
    http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

2. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
  3. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
  4. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Never used scann, but the other two I use regularly, both excellent.

to add two more:

www.ebuyer.com - usually very cheap.
    www.simply.co.uk

Again, I use both regularly without any problems.

5. Der_Pobman

Der_Pobman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I normally use:

www.dabs.com

I used to use Insight a lot too, partly because I lived in Canada and they operated there too. Anyway sometimes their prices are good, they used to give free delivery too, dont know what they do now.

www.insight.com/uk

regards

Der Pobman

6. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Same as JSW -

www.overclockers.co.uk

I've bought quite a few bits from them over the past year and their service is great. Prices are very good too, but you can get cheaper (www.ebuyer.com) but no-one's service comes close to overclockers.

7. Der_Pobman

Der_Pobman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a bad experience with Overclockers.com ... Bought a CPU from them which was fine for 8 months (through the autumn/winter), and then started to overheat. I reported this to them and they went through the motions, of replacing the heatsink and fan, putting Arctic Silver on etc etc. This did not help and eventually the chip died, computer would not even POST. This CPU was now just over 12 months old, however despite the fact I reported the problem to them while the chip was well within guarantee they flatly refused to replace it. To this day I have a dead Duron sitting on my desk as a reminder of what a great company they can be :)

However until this incident I had no trouble with them, have not shopped with them since though (this all happened Summer 2001).

The chips replacement came from DABS and has been happily, and cooly, running without any problems.

Regards

Der Pobman

8. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've had problems with Dabs. Never had an answer to emails and had to wait over an hour for tech support to answer a phone. I only buy from them when noone else sells what I'm after.

9. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've dealt with all the suppliers mentioned so far. They all have their quirks and problems. However, for choice I use Scan. Novatech are OK as well but I can go and sit on their doorstep when I have a problem.

I'm really not happy with Overclockers. Misdescription etc.

10. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've dealt with all the suppliers mentioned so far. They all have their quirks and problems. However, for choice I use Scan. Novatech are OK as well but I can go and sit on their doorstep when I have a problem.

I'm really not happy with Overclockers. Misdescription etc. Admitted by them (I have the e-mail) but not rectified.

11. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,123
    I often use ebuyer.com, and they're service is pretty good. The only thing to watch is when ordering out of stock items. They don't hold items while waiting for the out of stock item to come in, and then something else could go out of stock. Worst case scenario means you never get your stuff.

Only order in stock items.

Gary

12. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Bert, only pain with Scan is that thie customer service is LEGENDARY (in a bad way). If you need to contact someone with a problem about an item, you might as well give up. (All in my experience, of course!).
    I'm going to put a PC together shortly, and was going to do a "step by step" thing, as I've noticed a few queries about the mechanics of putting PCs together, and thought it might be useful.

For what it's worth, when I was pricing things up, I found ebuyer about the best value. I'm intending to get an Antec case from http://www.kustompcs.co.uk, though, as they are considered fairly quiet and they are well made (useful when building a PC - you don't want to be slicing your hands on poorly finished case metal - and a decent power supply is a good thing, particularly if you're using an AMD processor). Also noticed that Kustompcs do the OEM version of WinXP for around £60, which may be handy for you.

If you'd like a copy of my E-L HCPC spreadsheet, give me a shout.

13. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Agree Scan used to be like that. Contacting them was the problem. Once you managed to get in contact the problems are solved soon enough. They had a big revamp about six? months ago with more phone lines etc.

14. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Richard, thanks for the offer but I don't have any spreadsheet software. I'll look out for your step-by-step guide with interest, though. What sort of overall budget are you working to?

Bert
    http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

15. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'll PM you a list of items, but do remember that there's a minefield of software config to sort out, but I guess the guys and gals here can sort us both out.

16. Shirker

Shirker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  17. Dominic

Dominic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    scan is good so long as what you buy doesnt

1)spin
    2)heat up
    3)have any moving parts

so that rules out most PC parts.. maybe i will by cables from them :)

i built a system last year then 6months later 40GB of data went....into the ether... it took 4 weeks for a replacement HD, they wont ship a replacement till they have tested the faulty goods, which took 2 weeks for them to get as they "lost" it in the returns dept....

still its cheap gear and so long as you dont get any problems with it youre ok.

I have also bought from Special Reserve... not online although you can, but a local store were doing 52x CD drives for only a few quid more than the likes of scan, without the carriage its worth it.
    Especially when 3 weeks later a memorex CDR detonated in the drive and shattered into a million bits. The shop swapped it no problems and i could do it same day.. no hassle, if that had been scan it would have been at least 2 weeks with no CD ROM

just be aware ... those prices are cheap cos the after sales service is non existant..

off my soap box now

cheers:clown:

18. mps

mps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52