Recommended NAS for streaming MP3

CaptainC

Novice Member
Hi all,

Looking to venture into the streaming music market :thumbsup: and was wondering if anyone can advise me on a NAS to store my music on.

Also in a quandry as to the actual player; either go for an MP101 to get started cheaply, or bite the bullet and get into the Roku or Squeezebox debate ?!?!?

Any advice appreciated.

CaptainC

Novice Member
andrew1810 said:
It depends on the player really, Roku/MP101 uses different software from the Squeezebox.

If you have a look here www.audiofi.co.uk/reviews I have reviewed the players and listed the compatible NAS boxes (with instructions)

Thanks for the link Andrew, very useful information !! Reading the manual for the Squeezebox was interesting to see it supports 'wake on lan' - I have an old pc kicking around which may do the job - not quite as small and quiet as a NAS tho' :confused:

andrew1810

Yep, an old PC would work perfectly as a server (I've sold a few which do exactly that)

If you plan on going down that route, drop me an email and I'll help with settings etc.

CaptainC

Novice Member
andrew1810 said:
Yep, an old PC would work perfectly as a server (I've sold a few which do exactly that)

If you plan on going down that route, drop me an email and I'll help with settings etc.
Thanks very much for your kind offer, I may well take you up on that !!

Is the squeezebox the only one that supports the 'wake on lan' feature? From looking the archives it appears everyone is pretty happy with the squeezebox, so I see no reason not to tag along :D Is there much difference between the v2 and v3?

andrew1810

I'm not sure if any of the others support it, I'll have a check for you.

I know it works well with the Squeezebox, its an external plugin rater than inbuilt which makes me think it might be the only one which supports it.

The difference between the SB2 and SB3 is cosmetic mainly, there was a very small change to the power circuitry and the aerial is now in-built, but they are pretty much identical (I didn't bother changing from an SB2 for this reason)

Edit: The Roku doesn't yet support wake-on-lan, so its fairly unlikely any of the others will

CaptainC

Novice Member
Cheers for all the help and info; I'm sold on the squeezebox - so off to hunt out prices, and maybe see if there are any 2nd hand ones to ease me gently into this fun new world. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom