1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommended : MS Wireless Intellimouse Explorer

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by Stuart Wright, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,426
    My (wired) 18 month old Intellimouse packed up yesterday so I got a Wireless one today. My impatience meant I got it from PC World. £49.99 which surprisingly is the same price as the wired version.
    I much prefer this model of mouse as I have big hands and this is comfortable where titchy mice are not.
    The wireless one is better IMO, not only because there's no wire (for the toddler to try and swing from) but also because of a slight re-design which puts a groove in the sides for your thumb and little finger and raises the back and forward buttons out of the way of your thumb.
    The problem I had with the old model is accidental pressing of these ancilliary buttons so I as forced to disable them.
    In the new model they are difficult to accidentally press and so are now enbaled and very useful.
    The weight of the mouse is nice with 2 batteries in, and the unit is RF so the reciever is discarded under the desk.
    I like it.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With my XP comp i bought a Logitech cordless keyboard and optical mouse, it sits much more nicely in my hand as my hands are only small, my other mouse on my win98se comp is a MS intelli mouse explorer and it took me ages to get used to as it is quite big. Worse thing about a cordless mouse is when the batteries run out and you play games and the mouse just ups and dies on you.

3. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    I was looking for a cordless mouse the other day - all the ones i found were right hand specific and, me being a lefty, no good to me :(

Can anyone recommend a 'normal' shaped one?

4. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Sorry Spectre but i'd like to advise very strongly AGAINST this mouse, especially if you are a gamer.

The delay in response is absolutley horrendous, it may not be noticeable on first use, but after awhile you realise how irritating the lag is, especially if you then go back to using an optical wired mouse. It also makes some very high pitched sounds so if you have particularly acute hearing, this will bother you.

If it weren't for these 2 issues I would highly praise this mouse, but i found the lag just too irritating.

I hear the Logitech cordless mice have less lag, but I have not tried them myself, the bad experience with the wireless intelli explorer has really put me off cordless.

5. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,426
    Recommendation RETRACTED

Got to withdraw my recommendation of this mouse.
    I didn't notice any lag or high pitched noise.
    But it eats batteries like nobodies business - to the point it's too expensive to run (it actually killed my expensive rechargables, reducing their lifespan to nowt).
    And it breaks just like every other mouse when you lose your temper with it and hoy it against the wall.
    Back to the wired optical.

6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I'm currently typing on a Microsoft Wireless Desktop keyboard and using the matching Wireless Desktop Wheel Mouse (5 btn). The only quibble I have with the set is that the keyabord eats batteries a bit, one set of 2xAA per 2 weeks on average. The mouse I have changed batteries once since I've had it (uses 2xAAA), bought them both around 6 months ago.

My favourite mouse is my Microsoft Optical Intelli Mouse USB my sister bought me for my birthday in June which I use at home. They only thing it lacks are the forward and back buttons for IE.

I've never owned anything other than Microsoft mice and Cherry keyboards. I find all other makes (other than Logitech mice) to feel poorly made and awful to use.

I've got original Microsft Mice Mk's I and II at home also.

7. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I just bought the new Microsoft Optical Intelli Mouse USB & it does have the back and forward buttons on the sides as standard. :) Also is regularly shaped for Lefty's like tomson. It's my first optical mouse and I will NEVER go back to a wheeled one!

8. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I have had another attempt to move to a cordless mouse, and have gone with the Logitech MX700.

Its optical, wireless, and has rechargeable batteries that are charged via the reciever/docking station. Its also extremely accurate and scans and transmits at a higher rate than the MS wireless intellimouse explorer so there is no lag.

Would recommend it to anyone wanting to go wireless and optical (although its right-handed i'm afraid).

I've coupled it with an Everglide optical mouse pad and i'm in mousing heaven!

9. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I got the logitec wireless keyboard/optical mouse combo about 2 months ago and I'm still on the first set of batteries. The PC is on about 12 hours a day and is actually in use by one or other of the family for about half of that time. I've no complaints about battery life or lag either for that matter and I'm a member of a DOD clan.

10. themadhippy

themadhippy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive given up on wireless meeces,tryed both a microsoft one that ate batterys and a trust ami scroll thing that works fine for 10 minutes then slows downmaking it unusable .now using a funky little track ball that you wear like a ring,best £8 ive spenrt in ages

11. Oli

Oli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Logitech MX700

A real beauty, once ya get it download a software fix from www.logitech.com to get things workin smoothly, best mouse by a mile :)

12. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,039
    I believe the Microsoft Intellimouse Optical PS2/USB is one of the best the latest version is four times more accurate than that it’s last incarnation and gets the highest marks in all the comparison test I have seen.
    And though I want one, at present it will have to reside at the bottom of my list of acquisitions.

13. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Yup, the wired intellimice are excellent mice, but its the "Wireless Intellimouse Explorer" and the "Bluetooth Wireless Intellimouse Explorer" that are laggy and unaccurate, eat through batteries, and make horrid high-pitched sounds (if you have sensitive hearing).

14. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,039
    I meant to say the wired one. I too have had reports from other sources that the wireless ones were lagey and not very good for games.

15. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,039
    If you really must have one of these Microderect.co.uk are selling some refurbished ones at £23.50 with a 60 day warrantee.
    But the offer at that price runs out about 11.00 or 11.30 am tomorrow.

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    My Genius Net scroll Optical is great and only £20 great 5 button jobby(inc wheel) and a joy to use.

17. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    That's exactly why continue to use a wired version (and love it to bits). Mine has broken twice and been repaired quickly and easily twice. About 2 years of hard use and been bounced off walls/floors a few times.

18. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Bought this one http://www.playserver2.com/covers/111317m.jpg at Play for my laptop. It's ok and cheaper than anywhere else I could find.

I use the Intellimouse Explorer optical wireless mouse, (along with the Office Wired Keyboard), on my main pc with no problems at all. Bought it at Amazon of all places at the time, cheapest deal again. Very happy with it.

19. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Just bought the MS Optical IntelliMouse Explorer (v3.0) PS2/USB new for £25 which I thought was a bargain, from a local computer fair (Northern Markets)

http://www.computermarkets.co.uk/

Very pleased with it and handles really well in FPS games.

No more digging out all the crudge from the contacts!

20. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,039
    Is that the one that does 6000 DPI not the wireless one? If so it is the one I’m thinking of upgrading to.
    Some of the sites that sell mice are not very specific which version they are selling as I can imagine there is still some of the last version out there that where only a quarter as sensitive.
    I must say that is a good price the only trouble with marts (I sometimes go to them) is that if any thing goes wrong the mart is the only place to contact them and often means an other journey there and the price of admission again.

21. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Yes it scans at 6000 dpi.

I know what you mean about PC markets and I tend not to buy anything other than small (in price) items.

This guy had several and were all factory sealed OEM.

Just priced them at www.dabs.com £56 inc VAT :eek:

22. kennydies

kennydies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  23. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,039
    I have been to a few marts I too only get the cheaper stuff now, in fact the cheap stuff I find discounted more than the expensive stuff which I can find in shops cheaper and with back-up.
    I use to go to one when they opened a 9am I could get to it when the roads were nice and quite but then they started to open at 11am.
    Do you have the name of the supplier of your mouse? I might be able to see if he has a site online.

24. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Sorry, didn't get the name but i'll check on the receipt tonight.

25. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    I saw a MS optical, wireless one that I fancied getting today, it has forward and back buttons for IE on the side. Is this the one that you had Spectre?

How quickly did trhe batts run out?

26. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,039
    As Spectre says I would not go there. I personally cannot se the point of a wireless one as you more or less have to be near the screen and hence the desk you might as well have a wired one and as I said above they can be laggy on games.

27. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,039
    Thanks for the PM Kevo.

Probably the last question on it is it the two button one or the one the has buttons at the side (I think for internet use i.e. forward and back page).

28. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just got an IntelliMouse Optical (USB, wired) for my work PC today. Bloody marvellous things! :)

29. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    5 button (v3.0). Yes two side buttons that by default are forward & back.

30. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    5 button v3.0 I hope!