Recommended method to split an HDMI output to video and audio? One to TV and one to Amp?

NeilF

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I want to consider splitting the HDMI output of an Nvidia Shield TV so video (& audio?) goes to my TV, and it also goes to my amp solely for the audio to be used.

ie: So HDR or Dolby vision video can go to my TV, and then say Dolby Atmos audio can go to my amp.

Can a simply HDMI splitter simply duplicate one HDMI output to the two destinations?

Or do you need something far more expensive like the Fury AVR?

ps: TV is an LG E7 which happily accepts the likes of dolby vision and audio, but obviously cannot then ARC the audio to an Amp without down grading it. I believe if it's sent more advanced audio formats such as Dobly Atmos, it downgrades it to then send over HDMI ARC to an amp?

Can a simply HDMI splitter simply duplicate one HDMI output to the two destinations?
I'm afraid not
Or do you need something far more expensive like the Fury AVR?
Yes, something more sophisticated (and expensive) is required. @Joe Fernand might be best placed to recommend specific options.

As Jamie indicates you will likely have to consider something with the correct feature set to achieve what you require.

The AVR has to sync to a video signal before it can find and decode the audio - devices such as the HDFury AVR key replace the HDR video (which your AVR is not compatible with) by inserting an SDR 1080i/720p dummy video signal and retains the HD/Immersive audio.

If you want to use the TV for audio some of the time you will need to toggle the Source audio to match the TV capabilities at that time.

Joe

Note: My LG E7 can seemingly handly any audio format thrown at it? eg: It can supposedly deal with Dolby Atmos etc...

Well, I think my problem is maybe not fully understanding my problem :)

1) Making the most of my current audio/video capability
2) Dealing with the stutter/buffering I currently get with Plex (TV app) with large HDR 4K Dolby Atmos files.

My assumption is the TV simply cannot cope with decoding/playing of (2), hence the stutters, so I could get an NVidia Shield TV and use that for Plex. But that would mean potentially the same Dolby Atmos audio going to my TV, and in turn ARC HDMI to my amp (Onkyo 646).

Now I'm not completely sure what that means. So Dolby Atmos audio is thrown into my TV, and goes to my amp over HDMI ARC. My understanding is it's re-encoded to a lesser standard.

Do I really need to worry about that? If I'm right about that, is that reduction enough to actually hear? (*)

If it is, then we're onto the AVR Fury solution I assume? Which I assume would then mean I could watch the Plex media in question in either of the following two ways.
1) Amp Off: Shield --HDMI--> AVR Fury --HDMI--> TV ( playing video and audio).
2) Amp On: Shield --HDMI--> AVR Fury --HDMI--> TV ( playing video with audio muted).
---------------------------------AVR Fury --HDMI--> Amp (playing audio).

But I guess the real first question is (*) above?

As you highlight you have two different issues to deal with.

Stuttering - you will have to try an external streamer with the same files on your network to confirm it is the TV App rather than a file or network issue.

TV audio - ARC enabled TV's will usually support 'compressed' Atmos as DD+ via ARC and Optical from onboard Apps, what you have to watch out for are the capabilities of the HDMI Inputs on the TV as some may limit you to 2.0, DD5.1 or DD+.

HDFury AVR key - will work as you indicate, though you may have to manually toggle the Source audio to suit the playback option you wish to use, I find most folk tend to always use the TV+AVR once they have that option.

Joe

Thanks, what would the " TV+AVR" mean out of interest?

That audio is still pumped out of both HMDI outputs of the HDFury, so both to the Amp, and out to the TV along with the video signal? ie: Both the Amp and TV get sent the same audio as was input to the HDFury?

TV+Amp - would suggest video via the TV plus Audio via the AVR.

When you send video+audio to the TV you have to check the TV capabilities are not limiting the audio signal the Source is outputting as some TV's will only decode a 2.0 signal being Input via HDMI and I assume you are wanting the Source to be outputting 5.1 to make best use of the AVR.

Joe

TV+Amp - would suggest video via the TV plus Audio via the AVR.

When you send video+audio to the TV you have to check the TV capabilities are not limiting the audio signal the Source is outputting as some TV's will only decode a 2.0 signal being Input via HDMI and I assume you are wanting the Source to be outputting 5.1 to make best use of the AVR.

Joe
Oh, I'd like to send the audio to the TV and Amp ideally. I believe my LG E7 can decode most formats, so that would give me the choice of simply turning on the TV and watching/listening to the media. Or, if I want unmolested/better audio, turning on the Amp, and I assume muting the TV volume.

Yes, as long as the TV can decode everything the AVR can decode you should be good to go and all you have to do is Mute or set the TV speakers to Zero. I find with some TV's when you 'mute' them they annoyingly put an onscreen icon up which stays at all times so simply setting the Vol to zero is the better option.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom