Recommended Media for Pany e55

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by burcac, Oct 15, 2004.

1. burcac

burcac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    About to embark on a VHS to DVD big archive job (tedious!) using a new Pany e55, and 'ingest' the DVDs into my PC using an LG multi drive.

Just wondereing which media is expected to give the longest archive life, DVD-RAM (prefer non caddy) or DVD-R?

Also looking for good quality low cost DVD-R media that works well with the 'e55, which dye should I look for? Or should I just pay out for Taiyo Yuden (8x) Full Face Printable DVD £70 for 100?

Thanx,
    Matt

2. bobcar

bobcar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I can't comment on the cheapies but I use Verbatim 4x-R and have had no coasters from 40+ burns.

They cost from about £11.00 for a 25 pack.

3. burcac

burcac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, I'll give them a spin! It looks like DVD-R is the way to go - found out its rated up to 100 years, DVD-RAM is only 5-30 years

Also can anyone recommend a cheapo disc that works well on the e55?

4. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ProdiscS03 are good, but the Verbatim's are under 50p a disc. How cheap do you want it to be? ;-)

5. burcac

burcac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bruce says lower! £5/25 media for general use and verbatim for the long term stuff?

Also will cheap 8x media work or is it better stick to 4x? Is there a cheap product that is coaster free with the e55?

Thanx,
    Matt

6. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are looking for long archive life then DVD-RAM is almost certainly better than any DVD-R. If you backup to DVD-R it has been suggested that you make a backup of the backup every couple of years. DVD-R (and DVD+R) do not last forever. It is certainy advisable to make sure they are stored in a box that does not let any light in.

I have had DVDR's ruined by a small daily dose of simple sunlight!

7. burcac

burcac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Worrying! Was that a cheap disc? I've got some pioneer DVD-Rs I burnt at work five years ago (when the media was 20 quid a disc!) and they still play fine

Is cheap 8x media a good idea for the panny e55?

8. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's really a safety thing for long term backup. Whilst digital media of any kind is very convenient, when it fails, it is often catastrophic as opposed to analogue when there may be more noise/jitters but it can still be read.

Just remember that they don't last forever. Remember when programmes like "Tomorrows World" back in the eighties told of the new "indestructible" compact disc that you could spread marmalade on and would still play!

A backup of a backup is always a good idea for material that you are serious about archiving no matter what media it is stored on.