Recommended media 4 use with my Tosh RD-XS32

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Deano70, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Deano70

Deano70
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All
    Can anyone tell me what seems to be the best media to use with my RD-XS32
    RAM/-R/-RW ????? manufacturer etc........

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    For DVD-RAM I suggest using Panasonic or Maxell brands - the non-caddied versions as these have a special coating to make them more durable and you won't have to take them in and out of the cases. Try the Panasonic E-Shop for good prices on these:
    http://eshop.panasonic.co.uk/default.aspx
    Note that you probably won't need many DVD-RAMs with your Toshiba - you'll only use them for HDD overflow, temporary storage and transferring stuff to PC.

For DVD-RW media and DVD-R I suggest always using good branded media. Others on here disagree with that (which is fair enough) but brands such as Pioneer, JVC, Sony, Panasonic, TDK, Verbatim and Maxell offer reliability, compatibility and durability IMHO. Some good online stores are:
    http://www.dvd-and-media.com/
    http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/
    http://eshop.panasonic.co.uk/default.aspx
    http://www.ketta.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=21&osCsid=4164682634847080a07b9f9e95a32dbc
    http://www.cd-rmedia.co.uk/cgi-bin2/cdrmedia/sections.pl?id=12&tab=0

3. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have always gone for the mid-priced ones. I have had trouble with datasafe and some ritek discs. Other than that no problems at all. I have heard a lot of bad things about bulkpaq discs.

Rasczak, as someone who has been archiving for some time, what % of your oldest recordings now do not play. All my oldest still play.

4. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    datawrite greys work excellent 6.99 for 25 at svp
    also TDK scratch proof DVDRW's work great

5. Deano70

Deano70
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ordered a pack of Datawrite Grey (qty25) and the company seem to have sent me two packs by mistake so im pleased to read they seem to work OK. :thumbsup:

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    I've had a disappointing number of failures - although thankfully I have never lost data due to my back policy or having the copied material on Betamax/VHS/SVHS.

Out of 50 Mirror DVD-Rs burnt in early 2002 I have had a 100% failure rate: the first detected failure occurred no later than 6 months after burning, upon a subsequent check of the remaining disks in October 03 I found all had failed and could not be retrieved.

I've also had a high number of Verbatims fail: these were my primary disks until around Summer 2002. Out of 200 disks I had 43 failures - all detected 18 months after burning. All the others are still readable.

Out of 20 Ritek DVD-Rs burnt around Summer 2002 I have had 3 fail - I detected these earlier this year.

Branded media I have had more success although, as it was considerably more expensive until around early-2003, I was using 'cheap' media for the most part and thus long term experience with branded media is still unknown. However I have some (20) original Panasonic DVD-Rs from late 2001/early 2002 - these are still readable. Ditto some Pioneer (10) and JVC (20) disks purchased around the same time.

On the DVD+R front it seems to be much of muchness with regards reliability - although I've only be using them for the last 18 months. Out of a spindle of 50 Datasafe I had 6 failures within 6 months. And for some Riteks brought around the sametime I had 2 out of 10 fail after a year.

I currently use a 'all-branded' media policy, recording onto different brands/types of media and ensure multiple backups:
    - Panasonic DVD-R (daily working copy)
    - Sony DVD-R (first archive)
    - Maxell DVD-R (second archive)
    - TDK DVD+R (third archive)
    - Panasonic/Maxell DVD-RAM (forth archive)

Extra copies are burnt every 18 months onto two, different, branded DVD-Rs. This policy seems to offer the best data protection IMHO.

7. 38H21543

38H21543

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Can "Datawrite Grey" users suggest if the grey version has some benefit over the red or yellow, apart from speed ratings?
    What speed rating is needed for the Tosh?
    Thanks

8. Dark Eyes

Dark Eyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Rasczak

I find that level of failure quite shocking, maybe I have been too used to the 'reliability' of VHS (never found a tape that doesn't still play, even after 20 years).

So, for those of us that don't want to keep umpteen archive copies of our precious recordings, what would you suggest for long term storage, branded DVD-Ram ?

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    I would burn umpteen copies. No optical media is indestructable - all can fail over time - and so the best way to avoid dataloss is to have mulitple copies on different types of disks. Fairly regular checks of your archived disks is essential as well. You can either watch them (looking for symptoms such as picture breakup) or use a programme such as DVD Decrypter to copy them to your HDD - if they copy OK then the disk is OK.

DVD-RAM is probably the best bet for long term archiving if you use caddied disks - but they are expensive and there are no guarantees. I have never lost a DVD-RAM recording and have been using them since 1998/1999. That said you should use different media types: DVD-R, DVD+R and DVD-RAM to ensure maximum safety.

Loads of people do not do this. They record one version on a DVD-R and think it will last forever. Maybe it will, but odds are it won't. I can't help but feel that in 10 years time there are going to alot of annoyed people out there who have lost data.

10. Deano70

Deano70
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im new to all this so cant really comment yet. I purchased the datawrite grey purely to try, if the tosh seems ok with them then great stuff.I have made a few coasters with creating a finalised -R but i think I was using the wrong process.Last night produced my first Menu structured -r datawrite disk so yipee for me, i will spend the weekend editing the party in the park stuff i copied about a month ago and again hopefully transfering to -r with no problems. :clap:

11. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I fully agree with all that Rasczak has said. I have had many problems with "non-branded" or unknown brands of discs. I generally use Taiyo Yuden or Panasonic. I have also used Verbatim and Maxell with very few problems. You really do get what you pay for and "Cheap" discs either end up makling coasters or become unreadable. It seems that you cannot rely on writeable DVD's to be a secure long term storage. As someone else has already mentioned, tape seems to have the greatest longevity. Maybe we should all be buying DDS or DLT drives to backup our DVDs !!

12. cuseeme

cuseeme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All media like DVD-R, +r, CD-R etc like to be kept in dark cool places once burned. The manufacturers lifespan figures are based on being kept this way, particularly in total darkness. If you leave them where light can get to them then fairly soon you'll start getting errors.

13. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    This is no guarantee. All my DVDRs are either kept in DVD cases in a climate controlled environment (with my main DVD collection), a vault cellar (which NEVER gets any sunlight) or a storage space inside the House.