Recommended me a lawnmower please

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Sandman, May 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,553
    My lawnmower is finally giving up the ghost. I inherited it from my dad when he gave up looking after after his garden himself about 10 years ago and he must have had it for 10 years before that. Anyway it is time to replace it.
    I have attached a couple of photos showing how much grass I have. The grass to the left of the driveway continues down the side of the house and joins with the grass at the back.
    It needs to be petrol as I can't be bothered unplugging and moving to different sockets or using extension cables. I keep it in a pretty small shed along with my bikes tools and all sorts of other crap so don't want one that will take up too much storage space. I don't want one that puts stripes on the grass and self propelled is not necessary (although could be nice).
    My budget is a max of £200 but the cheaper the better.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. Krank

Krank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +949
    We have a similar size garden and use a manual cylinder lawnmower. Doesn't take long and you get a really nice cut. We had an Al-ko one for years with no problems but we now have a cheap Bosch one and it's perfect.

3. aerodynamic18

aerodynamic18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,238
    I like my hayter one

4. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,088
    and how does that fall into the Max £200 but cheaper the better ?

5. Cocksure

Cocksure

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,481
    Last edited: May 7, 2016
  6. NewfieDrool

NewfieDrool
    Suspended

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,154
    There are some Etesia 46 pro mowers on Ebay going for £200. Some are the new design and will be around 2 years old and will be good as long as they are serviced yearly for many many years.

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  7. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,553
    Those etisia ones look pretty good but at at the top of my budget. They are also too far away from me to collect.
    I saw a BMC Triumph self propelled one on a shopping channel for £150. Are they worth looking at?

8. NewfieDrool

NewfieDrool
    Suspended

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,154
    Why don't you pop in to your nearest mower dealership. Look for a Stihl dealer near you as they do Viking, Hayter and some do Honda. They also no doubt do second hand mowers and you will have a good back up if ever it needed work doing.
    You may even find a good deal, I picked up a brush cutter a while back for £399 when the recommended Stihl price was £1000 and I just happened to pop in after one.
    Personally I think a petrol mower from the home shopping channel will be short lived and at a rated 3hp engine with the final output being much lower its pretty poor.
    You might also just find the old version of the Viking battery mower for a good price. Don't under estimate them, I use a real old Bosch batt mower for a fair few small lawns and the Viking is much better. No fuel, no yearly oil change and petrol. Saves me a ton on small lawns and if the lawns are cut regularly then they are very quick to use.

Dealer Locator | STIHL

9. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,553
    Well thanks for the advice. I did listen to it and investigate all the suggestions but in the end I had spent so long reading about bloody lawnmowers I just had to pull the trigger and buy something before I went insane.
    I decided that I wanted a brand new one and didn't want to go above my original budget of £200. I was very close to buying this one from B&Q for £157 Mountfield HP45 Ergo Petrol Lawnmower | Departments | DIY at B&Q but in the end settled for this from Amazon
    Einhell GC-PM 46 S Self Propelled Petrol Lawnmower with 46 cm Cutting Width: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
    An extra £43 for a better brand and bigger motor and self propelled mechanism seemed like a no-brainer. It also has a wider blade and larger collection bag. I wont be here for a week or so (using free delivery) but I will report back once it arrives with my first impressions.

10. Lobsterboy1

Lobsterboy1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    Just wondering how you are getting on with the lawnmower. I am looking to buy a petrol mower, as I am sick of the mess our hover mower makes blowing grass everywhere.

11. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +963
    I went from a hover mower to a Bosch Rotak and am so impressed with it, no mess, so much easier to use and much quieter.

12. DIYlady

DIYlady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,997
    We went from a hover to a Bosch rechargeable (2 batteries). Good cut, easy to manoeuvre, no hassle with leads or temperamental engines. More expensive but worth every penny

13. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,553
    The lawnmower is great. My only complaint is is it is pretty heavy so manoeuvring around obstacles in a tight space isn't the easiest. Being self propelled means I can cut both front and back in about 30 minutes without breaking a sweat.

14. Lobsterboy1

Lobsterboy1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    We have decide to get an electric mower again and likethe lookof the Bosch. Which model have you got? I don't mind spending £155 on the 43cm one but think it might be overkill for the amount of lawn we have but I don't want to get a smaller one and it be under powered.

15. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +963
    I have the 40 cm but from what I have read the smaller ones are just as good. I think mine and the larger ones also suck up leaves if that is required.

16. NewfieDrool

NewfieDrool
    Suspended

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,154
    They all suck up leaves, can't believe they advertise that as an extra and get away with it.