Recommended learning materials for a 6 year old on coding/computers

KyleS1

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
So, I found out from the end of year 1 school report that my daughter has been learning about "computers". This is the first I've heard of it, so I thought I'd help her along. After all, I work in the field, so should be pretty handy to help her out. Hopefully...

Can anyone recommend any age appropriate materials that I can help her with over the school holidays and beyond? As I haven't been told exactly what they were supposed to be learning, I'm not really sure where to start. I was thinking some basic coding/logic puzzles. But as she is 6, it needs to be interesting. Help please! :thumbsup:

Obvs I could google, but looking for a personal recommendation.
Thanks all!

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thanks. Might still be a bit old though. In the first sentence of the description "it is written in language a 12-year-old can follow".

I was thinking more of an online app/guide.

Thanks. Might still be a bit old though. In the first sentence of the description "it is written in language a 12-year-old can follow".

I was thinking more of an online app/guide.
Ah yes, however I wouldn't put it past a 6 year old learning early. I first learnt programming when I was 7 by copying code from books and then tweaking.

COol, had a look at the barclays thing (website is terribly slow), found the MiT scratch website and and an app for ScratchJr, so will do a bit more research into these. Thanks chaps!

We've looked at Scratch a few times but I never really managed to get on with it. We have Carol Vorderman book on programming for kids which is half Python and half Scratch. It's pretty good. Just looked on Amazon and it seems the current versions are Scratch only.

Lego mindstorms? Not going to teach a programming language, but good for the basic logic aspects and fun. I think most talks about 12+ but my son was certainly using it long before that.

When she says they've been learning about computers, it may be a lot more basic than you think!

From another direction have about taking a desktop apart together then put it back together and see if you can get it working again. A chance to learn about core components

From another direction have about taking a desktop apart together then put it back together and see if you can get it working again. A chance to learn about core components...

..under pressure QUICK DAD'S GOING TO BE HOME SOON!

Maplins use to sell 'robots' which you had to build and write programs for to make it move.

All good ideas, thanks.
I'll explore the scratch based stuff first. I think this could be the way to go for now.
I know she'll be doing basic stuff, but now is the time to start introducing the logic stuff I reckon.

raspberry pi website has all their magazines for free download which might contain ideas for projects and learning materials.

Iirc school be regarding Scratch. As an alternative for something fun and keeping it logical you could also play chess together :)

I bought my kids (10 and 8) a Kano Computer Kit Complete (Kano.me). It's a Raspberry Pi based computer that they had to build themselves.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom