1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommended IR keyboard/mouse

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by zAndy1, Apr 26, 2003.

1. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,497
    Hi,
    Can anyone recommend a suitable IR keyboard and mouse for use with my HTPC. I don't want to spend the earth and I'm not sure how much I'll need one if I get IRMan and use my Pronto remote? I had an airboard before but can't seem to find a supplier..

Cheers,
    Andy.

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Hi Andy,

Got any computer fairs down your way? I got an all in one Airkey for £15 which is black, and can work up to about 30ft.

The mouse is a disk on the top r/h corner, and the mouse buttons are on the top left. It's a lot smaller than a normal keyboard too - about the size of a normal KB without the F keys or r/h keypad stuff.

My pc is behind the seating area, so all I did was to get some ps2 extension leads, and put the ir receiver at the front of the room - about 25 odd feet in total IIRC, and it still works ok.

Much better than having a table with mouse and keyboard in front of me, and it's easy to put out of the way when not needed.

HTH

Gary.

3. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    That sounds like the one that I use, I paid about £20 for it from ARD electronics about a year and a half ago so not sure of the brand, seem to think its a rebadged Phillips though. My brother got one from CPC for under £30 recently and that works alright as well but uses a little joystick for the mouse instead, bit more difficult to control but a stronger IR signal if thats required.

4. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,497
    Thanks for the recommendation, looks like just what I'm after and a very reasonable price too! Don't think there are any computer fairs locally so I'll try and find one on the web somewhere...

Cheers,
    Andy.

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an RF keyboard & RF optical mouse. The mouse gets used relatively often (works on my knee, couch etc...) & is recommended, but something like a Pronto & an IRman/Girder is ultra cool & thoroughly recommended.

You should be able to pick an RF optical mouse (USB) for < £15 (mine cost £15 :eek: ).

6. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Andy, if you find an online supplier for that keyboard/mouse, please post back :)

I've been thinking of getting the wireless jobby from Kustom PC's (RF, rather than IR I think).. you can use the mouse in the air (rather than have to use it on a table etc).

Its a bit expensive though (99 quid!).

If it weren't quite so expensive, I think I'd have bought it already... but 99 quid... for a keyboard&mouse!??! :eek:

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
  8. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,497
    Well, www.ardelectronics.com have a wireless IR keyboard for £22.43, looks like it might be the airkey but doesn't say it is.
    John, is that the one you've got?

Cheers,
    Andy.

9. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
  10. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find an RF X10 Mouse Remote quite handy (not intended). It's probably not as sophisticated as the mouse component of the Gyration Suite, but it does work very effectively, seated, in mid-air and on-the-move, so to speak, with one hand. It's a fairly large hand-held remote control handset with a omni-directional thumb pad for cursor control and right and left click buttons underneath. It doubles as a programmable IR universal remote and also works with all the X10 home automation stuff (which I don't have).

I use the mouse with programmable Max10 software instead of the standard supplied package, which again, is nowhere near the levels of sophistication available in IRMan/Girder (which I also have and with which you can use it), but it's very convenient and extremely easy to set up. I got it about 18 months ago for around £60 but I'm not sure what they cost today.

I find I seldom need a keyboard for HCPC but I'll be taking a look at those recommended here since they seem cheap enough to get one anyway.

11. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I got one of dabs value packages....... if i recall it was mouse and keyboard for about £15........ and before anyone says 'it's rubbish dabs', anyone who knows me will confirm im really very picky about this sort of thing..... and the dabs affair does me absolutely wonderful! :D i cant find a link just now..... but i'll get back....

ad

12. dnrc

dnrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That gyration suite may be expensive but trust me that mouse is fantastic, the keyboard is....well its a keyboard surprisingly enough. the range is very good though.

13. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have just ordered the one from farnell (gary's post above)
    They are currently offering free delivery. I looked at the gyroRemote but will consider that later, as it is a bit expensive.
    (Cheaper at Dabs than KustomPC by about £50 )

14. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Let us know what you think of it won't you Graham - could be helpful to other members. :)

Gary.