Recommended hybrid (DVB-T + analog) TV card?

Weiman

Standard Member
I'm looking to upgrade my HTPC with a hybrid TV card, preferably with MCE support. I've found these alternatives so far:
Asus My Cinema P7131
Avermedia AverTV DVB-T Hybrid
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 1100/1300
Pinnacle PCTV 310i
TwinhanDTV Ter (D+A)

The Avermedia is supported by MCE, not sure about the others. What's your thoughts on these cards?

Weiman

Standard Member
I've done a little more research and it seems the Asus is the only one that has separate antenna inputs for digital and analog. Which is cool, because it means I can have cable and DVB-T plugged in at the same time. It's also the cheapest.
But then there's the question of driver/software and reception quality...

W

Werner

Weiman said:
Ibecause it means I can have cable and DVB-T plugged in at the same time. It's also the cheapest.
But then there's the question of driver/software and reception quality...

...and dont forget the fact that mce CANT handle an analog and a digital signal at the same time...either one, or the other.

Weiman

Standard Member
Werner said:
...and dont forget the fact that mce CANT handle an analog and a digital signal at the same time...either one, or the other.

I'm not saying I want to use them simultaneously, just that it would be nice to be able to switch between cable and digital without switching cables. BTW, here's a review of the Asus card, it's apparently supported by MCE:
http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/asus mycinema/

YOu make no sence?, you can sue the composite/svhs for your cable and the RF for digital TV, then you never have to plug/unplug cables.

W

Werner

the card doesnt appear to have an mpeg2 encoder for the analogue side, so only the dvb-t side would be working in media center. This is pretty much on par with the pinnacle 300i "hybrid" card...a dvb-t side that works in mce, and an analog "software" side that wont work in mce.

O

OneEleven

meansizzler said:
YOu make no sence?, you can sue the composite/svhs for your cable and the RF for digital TV, then you never have to plug/unplug cables.

With MCE? - no you can't.
None of those cards have hardware MPEG2 encoders for a start.

Weiman

Standard Member
meansizzler said:

Nope. I don't have a cable box, so I want the analog tuner.

OneEleven said:
None of those cards have hardware MPEG2 encoders for a start.
Actually, the HVR-1300 does. But is that really a requirement? This is from the MCE Logo Program:
"Analog tuner subsystems must be equipped with a hardware or software audio and video compression device that produces MPEG-2 program stream data. Dual tuner capable subsystems must include at least one hardware compressor."

O

OneEleven

ooo is the 1300 new then? That could be the answer to my problem (Freeview with H/w encoded s-video capture)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom