1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommended HDCP compliant plasms?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by teknosys, Dec 3, 2004.

1. teknosys

teknosys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    About to order new plasma this week - only reason I have not is because I am having difficulty finding a suitable stand (Alphason 105s In stock).
    So, maybe just as well as this sky news is a bit worrying. The TV was narrowed down to Hitachi PD5200 because it has a higher resolution then the panny/pioneer. Does anyone know if it is HDCP or recommend an alternative that is?

2. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
  3. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Hitachi PD5200 DVI input is fully HDCP compliant.

Note, however, that while it does support 1080i50, 1080i60 and 720p60 HD formats/resolutions, it does NOT support the 720p50 HD format, which as per BSkyB announcement will be the preferred format for HD programming...

Mind boggling all that stuff, isn't it...? :rolleyes:

P.S. If full HD compatibility is an issue for you, you might want to look into the newest breed of LG plasma screens (PX10/PX11/PX12/PY10), they all support ALL possible HD formats via their HDCP compatible DVI inputs. Might not be the best all round plasma screens (I'd rather get a Pana, NEC or Pioneer for sheer picture quality, although the PY10 series have a lot to show), but price- and HD compat-wise they're in a sweet spot...

4. jtenniswood

jtenniswood
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got a Hitachi PD5100, which looks amazing. Loving the windows media center hooked up on the dvi...

5. sathelp

sathelp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have just had a reply from LG on PX11 HDCP and they say:
    Thank you for your email.

The RZ42PX11 is not HDCP compliant and there is no modification that can be done to it to make it so.

Yours sincerely

LG Electronics Helpdesk
    Tel: 0870 6075544 press 1 then 4
    Fax: 01753 517445
    E-mail: ukhelpdesk@lge.com
    Web sites: www.lge.co.uk www.lgelectronics.co.uk

So there seems to be comflicting news out there. It looks like we may have to buy another screen for HD when Sky starts.

Anyone got any more info on this? :lease:

6. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I only just worked out I could afford a 5200 the other day and appreciate your post Peezee about the 50hz thing as I fear I might nearly have made a costly mistake. So what would happen if you connected via DVI a 50hz signal into the Hitachi given its 60Hz. Would it still show the high def albeit not as well. Can you connect an HDMI/DVI dvd player such as a Denon 2910 to this DVI input to make use of the expected picture improvements by going all digital.

Cheers

7. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Perhaps they would like to tell that to my panel, as it currently seems quite happy to accept any resolution output by my Denon DVD-2910, which is supposed to be outputting HDCP over DVI.

8. sathelp

sathelp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    And I have just looked at the US LG site that says that it is able to use HDCP. So this makes LG's tech department out to be telling a porky! I wish one of them would come on here and put everybody straight once and for all as there seems to be so many PX11 forum members?

9. Todda

Todda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only way it would show the signal was if you converted it to 60Hz first which would be at a high price and might leads to other issues.

10. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek:

this is total b.s. Tried and proven, the PX10, PX11, PX12, and PY10 are fully HDCP compliant - at least in their 42" size. There's still a debate about the 50PY10 which LG claims is not compliant, but since the 42PY10 _is_ the least we can do is very much doubt it...
    Now that's an interesting sales strategy, downplaying your own stuff... :rolleyes:

Of course, if you feel like double checking by trying 'em with the latest Denon DVDs for instance, by all means - but I can't see how these plasma screens would be HDCP compat. here in France and not in the U.K. (though I've seen strange things before... :D ).

"HelpDesk"... :rolleyes: :laugh:

11. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you do a search on this forum you'll find a series of posts describing what happens if you try to input a 720p50 signal via DVI, essentially a torn, squeezed, totally unwatchable picture...
    If I'm to believe the Hitachi PDF manual then 720p50 is not supported via ANY of the inputs. Don't know of anyone who actually tried though...

I'm still a little perplex with this whole HDTV issue and BSkyB's annoucement. There's no way there will be enough customers ready by 2006 with the required gears to enjoy the announced 720p50 video only available via an HDCP-crippled digital connection... :confused:

One last thing: these Hitachi screens exhibit the best picture when fed via their DVI input.

12. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    You can look on the US Sony site and see that their displays have HDMI and DVI. It doesn't mean that the equivalent model over here has them. The perception of the two markets are very different and we get the dumbed down versions.

The marketing departments over here must believe that if they sell us a cut down model now, we will then upgrade in a few years time and they will get two sales instead of one.

13. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    peezee

You may be missing the 'trick' here with regards to HDCP compliance - its not enough to simply install hardware and firmware to enable HDCP compliance. You have to pay a licence fee and have your kit submitted for approval with HDMI.org; or buy/install a third party HDCP compliant Receiver chip/connector.

Could it be that the LG boys are playing a funny game whereby they don't pay the fees, cant say its in there (officially) and amazingly enough it does work; though maybe you find it doesn't work as expected with every signal you throw at it.

Just a thought.

Joe

14. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Nice thought, but if I was a member of the DDWG and found out that LG hadn't paid their licensiing fees, I would add their HDCP encryption key the revocation list and put a stop to their games. The display might work with CP material now, but the moment they play software or receive a broadcast with the updated revocation list, then amazingly the set ceases being able to play CP material from that surce from that point on.

-Ian

15. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Thanks Peezee
    So at least I'd get to use the DVi input with a suitable DVD player.
    I find it interesting that in the December Sky mag they are selling some Plasmas etc supposedly compatable with HDTV. Given all Sky customers get the mag they will have all year and a bit to push these and the price aint bad either. Mind you they dont appear to want to sell just a Plazma as all seem to come with home cinema kit which most on this forum wouldn't give the time of day. :mad:

16. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ianh64, Joe Fernand, you're both right with your statements and hypothesis - however I'm referring to *actual trials* made by owners of these plasmas or even vendors that have access to the various models, and all reported that they do work when connected to the DVI-HDCP output of specific DVD players (most recent Denon and Samsung models, iirc). I think some of them even tried all combinations at 720p, 1080i @ 50 and 60Hz and reported no problem with playing (upscaled) DVD's...

Again, there's nothing like trying yourself, shouldn't be too difficult since both these LG plasma screens and DVD players are common in most HC shops or electronics stores. Plus ya never know, what's true in France might be different in the U.K. - though I pretty much doubt it. But at least it gives you a good basis to start from (as in: you may want to investigate these plasmas, they're most probably ready for HDTV).

Just to make sure: I'm not saying the LG's are necessarily the best plasmas around, this is only a focus on HDTV readiness specifically... ;)

17. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pwood, interesting. IIRC the plasma kits sold by Sky are based on Hitachi's (not sure if it's previous gen PD3000 or more recent PD5x00 models, doesn't really matter as far as HDTV is concerned). Those won't be able to display the HDTV signal as described in the BSkyB announcement - via any input for that matter. Maybe you should let Sky know about this "dichotomy", could be interesting to see their reaction... :devil:

18. dezz

dezz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have LG 42PX11 plazma.
    I use this palzma with Samsung HD-935 connected via DVI.
    And result ? The picture is fabulous. I use 720p and 1080i, both are nice. :rolleyes:

This plazma is fully HDCP compliant.

price/quality

19. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    We wouldn't give the sky plasma a Christian burial either.

20. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, just checked again and got the answer on the LG 50PY10, tried by a vendor (FNAC) somewhere in France:

no need to translate I guess... :smoke:

21. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Sorry if I mislead earlier Sky mag doesn't actually say HDTV compatible but this is how it starts off..Optimised for Sky digital (they do something special to their ones then do they if so what exactly?) CUTTING-EDGE flatscreen technology. The flagship 42" has 1024*1024 pixels for high resolution images, 32" 1024 *852.

Sounds nice then to the uninformed. If anyone could actually bring themselves to have another SKY logo staring at them from across the sofa that is.

22. gedster

gedster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just plumped for the 42PD5200. Should get it in a couple of days.
    I read an article in this months (issue 7) of What Plasma & LCD TV which was reviewing SKYs latest 42" offering..

Its a re-badged 5200 with minor cosmetic changes (shiny black facia).
    The spec-sheet mentioned DVI-HDCP compliance and also HDTV ready for 720p/1080i.

Its funny, the 5200 is also reviewed in the same issue but without any of the above spec. mentioned...???

Now, if i'm not mistaken, why would SKY opt for this new generation of Hitachi screen, AND, advertise it as HDTV ready, if it wouldnt be compatible with their upcoming HD broadcasts in the near future? I know the 'old' SKY plasmas were'nt HD compatible.

23. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Ignorance could be a factor here. Perhaps they don't know about FRC problems? And it is 720p compatible, just not at 50Hz

24. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So the reason most DVI inputs on plasmas today doesn't support 720p/50Hz and 1080i/50Hz is because they haven't paid the license fee for HDCP to support those signal-inputs?

25. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the license fee is for HDCP encryption, no matter what's the protected content (wow, would be a nightmare to manage! :eek: ). No, the lack of support for such or such format/resolution is rather due to a limitation in the plasma hardware (DVi input section, video processing, ...). Unless someone knows differently...