1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommended Hardware to go with Accent HT-400

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by gelf, Oct 4, 2005.

1. gelf

gelf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm thinking of building a HCPC around the Accent HT-400 case (http://www.quietpc.com/uk/htpc.php#ht400) and I was hoping others here may have experience of the case and could recommend the best equipment to go with it. I'm thinking Motherboards, Fans, Graphics Cards, Memory, Hard Disks, DVD Drive etc. I've built lots of PC's in the past but it's so long since I've done one that I'm rather out of touch with current hardware, and I've never attempted a Media PC with considerations like noise output. I'm planning on using the PC for:

Windows Media Center
    DVD Playback direct from HD or DVD Drive
    Possible PVR for SKY
    MP3 Music Playback and Distribution
    Online Games / Browsing
    Other Functions??

I'm thinking I'll need quite a lot of disk space and a fairly decent graphics card for games. The PC will be connected to a SIM2 projector.

Thanks

2. gelf

gelf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having done a bit more digging I've started considering some components, I'd really appreciate any comments on these, in particular in relation to this case:

• Motherboard: Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 nForce 4 SLI PCI-E ATX
    • Processor: Athlon 64 3000+ Socket 939 512KB Inc Fan
    • Processor Fan: TBD?
    • Memory: 1GB of TBD?
    • Case Fans: TBD?
    • Graphics: Gigabyte NVIDIA Fanless 6600GT 128MB PCI-E
    • Hard Disk: Samsung SpinPoint P120 250GB x 2
    • DVD Drive: TBD?
    • Analogue TV Card: TBD?
    • Sound Card: Do I need one over the on board?

3. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,586
    • Processor Fan: Scythe are my chosen brand, very quiet and shift lots of air, I use one in my HT201 and you can only just hear it when running at full power, and it keeps things nice and cool running at half power (silent)
    • Memory: 1GB of Crucial, the only RAM you can trust IMHO
    • Case Fans: Vantec 80mm fans are inaudible in my experience, haven't bothered trying any others on that basis.
    • Hard Disk: Samsung SpinPoint P120 250GB x 2 -these are sometimes whiney, I prefer Seagate
    • DVD Drive: Just about anything will do if you're gonna be playing from the HDD.
    • Analogue TV Card: Can you get freeview? If so, Nebula are well worth a look
    • Sound Card: Do I need one over the on board? What's it gonna be plugged into?
    Those are the bits I can comment on, I'm also out of date on CPU/Board/GPU at the moment.. :)

4. jimbob19

jimbob19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I have this case , for the dvd drive you have to be careful on length of drive.
    I have a NEC2500 , I think if you check the specs on www.quietpc.com it does recommend a NEC drive for this case

5. gelf

gelf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Guys,

In terms of sound it's going to be plugged into a Denon 3803 so I guess it will need a pretty good card. I can't get Freeview where I am so Sky is a must.

Jimbob19, how are you finding the case, are you very happy with it.

6. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,586
    An Maudio 2496 is a very safe bet...

For 2ch. The DAC on that card is actually way better than in the 3803 (I have both)