Recommended fan/oil heater for a small home office

rousetafarian

Reaction score
Hi

Working from home 100% was ok during spring summer and autumn, but my home office has two external walls and is behind the internal garage wall.

It’s a ‘real feel’ of bloody freezing so I want to get recommendations for a small fan heater/non-oil heater to assist me getting through the day

Scoured Amazon, looked at Dyson (££££) so who can recommend one for me? Smart connectivity might be a plus so I can preheat the room from my bed :)

I'm also looking into something similar.

Any reason why you're excluding oil filled radiators?

Fan heaters are really expensive to run and the second you switch them off, no heat.

I'm also looking into something similar.

Any reason why you're excluding oil filled radiators?
I actually don’t know why I disregarded them....

I'd much rather have an oil-filled radiator, but get a decent one like a Delonghi or a Dimplex as in my experience, buying cheaper ones they takes ages to heat up, they don't put out the heat you expect and parts of them break too easily.

Make sure to get one with a decent heat output and a thermostat.

The saving by buying a more reasonably priced heater rather than the Dyson hot / cold fan will pay the electricity bill as well

*I purchased the Dyson on black Friday discount couple years back

I used to use a Delonghi oil filled radiator to supplement the heating in my old flat which only had those overnight heat up brick radiator things. It got it lovely and warm. It was timer based and had two levels of heat.

Nowadays I use a gaming PC to heat the home office - really notice it when going out into the rest of the house where the plebs are kept :laugh:

A good excuse for when your wife catches you having a psycho-sexual BrainDance in Cyberpunk2077

"it was a bit chilly".

On the basis that your home office is part of your house, is there option to just put a radiator in.

Or, if the above is not an option Electric UFH - as one wall is garage wall it sounds like getting a fused switched spur is a doddle. It’s available for all floor types carpet, wood, tile (mind you if you already have tiles it’s not worth ripping them up.

Point being that on a 100% WFU basis and, the luxury of a dedicated home office a more permanent and better solution will pay off long term

I have used and would recommend those oil filled radiators but, I also think, when ever I walked into a room that had one that they were just a reminder that the house heating system was not at it should be

Last edited by a moderator:
On the basis that your home office is part of your house, is there option to just put a radiator in.

Or, if the above is not an option Electric UFH - as one wall is garage wall it sounds like getting a fused switched spur is a doddle. It’s available for all floor types carpet, wood, tile (mind you if you already have tiles it’s not worth ripping them up.

Point being that on a 100% WFU basis and, the luxury of a dedicated home office a more permanent and better solution will pay off long term

I have used and would recommend those oil filled radiators but, I also think, when ever I walked into a room that had one that they were just a reminder that the house heating system was not at it should be
Thanks for your detailed response, I omitted an important point, in that there is already a radiator in the room but it just doesn’t cut it. The rad gets hot but not hot enough to keep the room at a temperature I’m happy with. (Perhaps I should invest in a rad key and bleed it before investing in an oil filled portable rad 🤣

Bless radiator

lock off radiator, drain, remove and blast a hosepipe through in case of blockage

if none of the above improve it then invest in a better radiator, easy job and a far better solution

Thanks for your detailed response, I omitted an important point, in that there is already a radiator in the room but it just doesn’t cut it. The rad gets hot but not hot enough to keep the room at a temperature I’m happy with. (Perhaps I should invest in a rad key and bleed it before investing in an oil filled portable rad 🤣
Maybe worth upgrading the radiator depending on the type. If you have an old single panel radiator then upgrading it to a double panel double convection radiator can double the BTU output

Maybe worth upgrading the radiator depending on the type. If you have an old single panel radiator then upgrading it to a double panel double convection radiator can double the BTU output
Good to know, thanks

I have an oil filled radiator which has an in built fan, I have connected it through an Alexa smart plug in our summerhouse, works well and can be switched on remotely before venturing outside.

its going to be far cheaper to upgrade the current radiator if a clean doesn't help

I couldn’t find the rad keys to bleed it, so have ordered a pair. Decided that a Delonghi oil filled radiator may come in useful so opted for one of those too, if it doesn’t cut it then it will go back

@temsy could you give the link for your one that comes on with the plug?

It is just a normal one nothing special, bought it from Lidl, have had three of them over the years, leave the switch in the on position and power off at the plug via Alexa.

Just remember all electric room heaters are 100% efficient and will all put out exactly the same amount of heat for the power fed to them.
The only thing that changes is how fast they heat up and cool down, and how directional the heat is.
£10 1000w from Argos will heat the room exactly as much as a £100 1000w model from Harrods ;)

Just remember all electric room heaters are 100% efficient and will all put out exactly the same amount of heat for the power fed to them.
The only thing that changes is how fast they heat up and cool down, and how directional the heat is.
£10 1000w from Argos will heat the room exactly as much as a £100 1000w model from Harrods ;)

Just the Argos one will have poor quality timers, Alexa integration, switches and aesthetic appeal, and will fall apart 10x quicker ;)

Just the Argos one will have poor quality timers, Alexa integration, switches and aesthetic appeal, and will fall apart 10x quicker ;)
I went for a £50.00 oil filled De Longhi one, simple 1-6 thermostat and no timer as I’ll add a TP -Link HS100 plug for Alexa control/routines etc.

Unsure how these things work but cranked it up to 6 (max) then dialled back until it clicks back in (3). Unsure if the output is going to be enough for the room.

I went with a De Longhi dragon oil radiator for my study/home office while Covid has forced me to work from home.
I went for the larger 2.5kw type so I don’t need to run it at full wack and it keeps the room perfect temp.. it cuts out when it reaches the right temp. Oil rads hold their heat well. Although pricey it saves me running the house heating system.. that was until school’s were shut for two months so now got the general heating on for most of the day :eek: I guess what I’m saving in petrol I’m spending on electricity... everything online..

Based on some assumptions on room size I.e. 9sqm this is better

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom