Recommended 'dynamic' Subwoofer ?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by kyroz, Jan 10, 2012.

1. kyroz

kyroz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey there,

this is my set-up:
    Focal 816v
    Focal cc800v
    B&M AML30 (floorstanding surrounds)
    Yamaha RX-V3900

I'm interested in a subwoofer, So my dealer said he can give me a great price on the Sunfire TS-EQ12, Well... I tested it..

And I'm not impressed at all. it sure can lift my whole house, but it seems to be 'slow' and like I said - not impressive as the crystal-clear, dynamic Focal's.

I thought about the Focal SW800v subwoofer, but the specs are not that impressive - 37-160Hz? :\

Room size: about 45 square meters.

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys.

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,268
  3. wookie1

wookie1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Relying on specifications alone is pointless. They can give a steer on what the sub may do - and that is it. Personally i don't enjoy massive low end output at the expense of everything else. I am sure some would say that 37Hz does not even qualify as a subwoofer! However, if it gets down there with quality and speed it can be more satisfying than a product that goes lower. Integrating a sub with the rest of the system is reliably difficult! I have not listened to the Sunfire in familiar surroundings and cannot comment on its performance. Your post suggests you are quite sensitive to the speed of bass performance. You have to make the decisions on the trade offs you will make. Personally I would always go for speed over depth and output - but i am a little odd!