Recommended CPU Cooler?

davidsond

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello All!

I'm looking to build a new PC (my first) and need some guidance...

Intended build is as follows:

Case: Sugo SG-03B
Mobo: Asus P7H55-M/USB3
CPU: Core i7 870
SSD: 64GB Crucial RealSDD C300 (Boot disk for W7)
HDD: WD 1TB 1002FAEX Caviar Black
PSU: PowercoolModular 650W 80+

My main query is what CPU cooler to go for with this setup?

Other comments would be appreciated as I don't want to get this wrong!

Thanks for your help! :lease:

Sorry, put in wrong category! Please could someone move? 'kin Newbies!

Last edited:
Due to location of PSU, you want something not too high. Shame really as TJ08 had PSU above the motherboard, seems SG-03 step backwards. A quick search brings up 83mm max height for CPU cooler.

maybe something like this?

Scythe"SHURIKEN Rev.B"3HeatPipes CPU Cooler

Thanks again Berties! As a matter of interest where did you find the 83mm dim? I was struggling to find this information...

Stock cooler. If airflow through the case is sufficient it should be fine. Is 4 pin so only loud when loaded. Maybe worth a try 1st, I've been pleasantly surprised before.

Thanks, will give stock cooler a go. Been advised against this but can always change later...

Have you though about watercooling it? Corsair H50 does a decent job I believe and is self-contained/maintenance free/low profile etc. Can be had for about £50.

I was thinking of using this for a WHS build and read some good reviews.

arctic silver 5 thermal paste.

you dont have any TIM in your list :)

I'd also recommend corsair hc50. Just need to make sure that you can house radiator.

Try this one

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/20468138/Corsair-Hydro-Series-H80-High-Performance-CPU-Cooler/Product.html?searchtype=allproducts&searchsource=0&searchstring=cpu+cooler&urlrefer=search&P36=UZVEQN&affid=hotukdeals&awc=buyat&_$ja=tsid:11516|prd:hotukdeals

:D

High end air coolers can beat low end watercoolers from the reviews I've seen.

High end air coolers can beat low end watercoolers from the reviews I've seen.

I've read the same thing, but I have no experience with the new air coolers.

I've got a corsair H30 & it does a decent job, 67c on an i5 760 clocked at 4.01ghz.

are the air coolers that much better?

I've got a corsair H30 & it does a decent job, 67c on an i5 760 clocked at 4.01ghz.

When I was looking for a new CPU cooler, looked into lower end water cooling, similar budget to Corsair Hydro H60 (about £60) and seemed the best air cooler towers had better cooling than the corsair. Also one benefit of large tower as it cools motherboard and memory, something a budget watercooling system doesn't do...once you start going into whole system water cooling, GPU, northbridge, southbridge spending hundrds of pounds. Something not willing to do.

Went for Noctua D14 at the end.

Not sure what the difference in temps were, but D14 seemed to produce lower temps, also wonder difference in motherboard temps too.

H30 is peltier?

It's actually an H50 I have, got the numbers mixed up.

I think I'll stick with it as 67c under load seems ok @ 4.01. I don't imagine I would see a huge boost by pushing the CPU to 4.2.

That being said, I think I will go for an air cooler for my next build.

yeah D14 is 10 degrees cooler at load overclocked compred to H50. Both were similar price at the time.
Wonder how the H100 performs, still want GPU cooling though, also wonder how would fit that H100 on my case, it's a stacker 810 so on the bottom one it'll clash with the top case fan, however if the tubes are long enough could mount it on the top fan hole.

But then still need airflow through the case, and blowing warmed air through the rads doesn't seem a great idea, want the rads seperate and outside the case.

That's my biggest complaint abouf the H50 (and others), you block off one exahust fan completely.

I went for a NZXT Panzer and thankfully I have 2 x 190 fans, one at the front sucking & one at the top blowing, so air flow isn't an issue, but in the majority of cases it could be.

With the Panzer, I could house an H100 in the top of the case, but then where would all the hot air from my GPU go?

Exactly it'll go through the rad. With typical setup air onto GPU and CPU will be incoming cool air, so as long as you don't have row of baking hot hard drives should be cool.

Having rad at the back means air from motherboard will go through it, so won't be as efficient, also if GPU isn't rear blower type (mine has vents but just blows up through case) then that 60+ degree heat will go through rad as well.

I'd probably want the rad totally seperate like that zalman reserator.

Last edited:
Nearly all high end and upper mid range gpu's vent into the case now.

As noted, the H50 is fine for me, but I can't imagine it does anything to help my ambient temp. I'll keep an eye out for a noctua. Maybe 4.2 and mid 60s will happen :)

I would also suggest a high end graphic card - EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD GDDR5 1280MB

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom