Recommended compact computer speakers

DT79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, I’m after some stereo speakers to partner my iMac, given that I’m spending so much time in front of it these days. I don’t have much space at all and I’ll be about 2’ away from them, so they need to be small. I really like the look of (and was impressed when I heard some years ago) the B&W MM-1s and have an eye on eBay for some, plus I heard a friend’s Harmon Kardon Soundsticks and liked them, but don’t really have anywhere to put the sub.

Any recommendations for current models in that sort of size and at least that quality ballpark?

Cheers.

Tannoy gold 5 or 7.
JBL LSR305P
Adam T5V

or second hand Adam A3x or A5x or Focal Shape 40 or 50

I've bought a pair of these to chuck up in the dining room and had them on my desk for a while. I was initially unimpressed with them, as the bluetooth audio is very poor A2DP rather than APTx. Hooked up directly via the supplied cable they sound pretty good actually. Not tried the USB input, but it's useful to charge your phone while listening to music. Remote controls the source when connected to Bluetooth.

They are not going to take your face off with the volume level, but they sound quite refined and have reasonable bass extension. They are certainly on a par with a pair of basic studio monitors but are more tuned to casual listening than perfecting your next mix.

Nicely built and excellent finish. The copper effect spinner in the middle of the woofer will probably grow on you...

Sounds like you won't be using a sub so I'd question whether the 3" bass/mid drivers in the MM-1 can present enough of the frequency range to satisfy. I'm assuming that speakers with 5" bass/mid drivers would be too large so I think powered speakers like the KEF Eggs and Focal XS Book with 4" or 4.5" would be a good alternative to the B&W MM-1, though they are both a bit larger. Not sure the Focal is still in production.

I'd also consider the smaller true actives with 4" bass/mid drivers such as:
Neumann KH 80 DSP active studio monitor (single) for sale | Bax Music (probably the deepest bass available from a 4" monitor - but pricey)

Although if you really can't shoe-horn them in, these tiny Genelecs might be a good compromise:

Thanks for the replies. I’m afraid everyone is overestimating the amount of space I’ve got to play with, so here’s a picture. The only place i can put them is on the shelving section either side of the screen on the first shelf just above the little drawers (the shelves above are adjustable). So as much as I’d love to go for some proper mini monitors, something like mm-1 type size is really where I’m at I think.

C270D5A2-67D5-4E47-A615-4ED066487E23.jpeg

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
You can put the monitors on their side, that would increase your pool of candidates.

You can put the monitors on their side, that would increase your pool of candidates.
Good point, I hadn’t thought of that.

I’ll have another look at all the suggestions and get measuring.

Seeing as you have a bose there already... had you thought about the bose companion series? something like the companion 3 or companion 50 where you have the sub/sat setup ?

That shelving might do odd things to the bass, so a sub/sat system might help to prevent that.

Failing that maybe something like this Creative T30 Wireless surprisingly good for the money and the amount of desk real estate they demand!

That shelving might do odd things to the bass, so a sub/sat system might help to prevent that.

Failing that maybe something like this Creative T30 Wireless surprisingly good for the money and the amount of desk real estate they demand!

I was thinking the same. Good point...i suppose i could put the sub on top, on a granite worktop saver or something like that if it wasn’t too big.

Seeing as you have a bose there already... had you thought about the bose companion series? something like the companion 3 or companion 50 where you have the sub/sat setup ?

Yeah, I’ve taken a look at them, thanks. They are possibles...

Yeah, I’ve taken a look at them, thanks. They are possibles...
Another "curved ball" suggestion for you and this does work... using the Musical Fidelity V90 amp.. this has the same footprint as the imac base and mac mini and was developed in partnership i believe also with apple (although this is to be proved).. its a 20w/pc amp with a built in 32bit asynchronous DAC.

Partner that with speakers of your choice and your sorted.. anything from a B&O bevox cx100! remember them lol.. to something like the arcam muso (with sub) if you love silver coloured speakers.. to even a compact bookshelfer..

The only grip with the V90-Amp is that volume dial.. its a continous rotary encoder in 0.5db steps which is infuriating and you never know what volume it is on from a glance.. but thats my only gripe. I had the v90-amp running mordaunt short M20's fine and even the crazy AE evo neo 1's which are seriously outside of its comfort zone in a 3M x 3M room. It is discontinued but you can still buy this product in shops or on that well known auction site

Something to ponder... here's a link

Another "curved ball" suggestion for you and this does work... using the Musical Fidelity V90 amp.. this has the same footprint as the imac base and mac mini and was developed in partnership i believe also with apple (although this is to be proved).. its a 20w/pc amp with a built in 32bit asynchronous DAC.

Partner that with speakers of your choice and your sorted.. anything from a B&O bevox cx100! remember them lol.. to something like the arcam muso (with sub) if you love silver coloured speakers.. to even a compact bookshelfer..

The only grip with the V90-Amp is that volume dial.. its a continous rotary encoder in 0.5db steps which is infuriating and you never know what volume it is on from a glance.. but thats my only gripe. I had the v90-amp running mordaunt short M20's fine and even the crazy AE evo neo 1's which are seriously outside of its comfort zone in a 3M x 3M room. It is discontinued but you can still buy this product in shops or on that well known auction site

Something to ponder... here's a link

Thanks that is an interesting option.

Thanks that is an interesting option.
It's a beautiful little amp but just remember it is only a 20w/c at 8ohm... it will accept a 6ohm as per spec but i do not recommend it after trying it on 6... just connects to the pc via usb B connector.. the other input is rca to 3.5mm adapter..

typical MF sound.. nice and weighted and plenty of bass to be had. It is not tiring on the ear on extended listen..

oh.. and typical for the size and price.. its spring clip connector on the speakers

I'd second dogfonos's suggestion of a pair of little Genelec 8010, 6010 or G One's.

Don't let their small size deceive you these aren't cheap computer speakers with artificially boosted low end, they still have the same sound signature as like their larger siblings.

I'd second dogfonos's suggestion of a pair of little Genelec 8010, 6010 or G One's.

Don't let their small size deceive you these aren't cheap computer speakers with artificially boosted low end, they still have the same sound signature as like their larger siblings.
Thanks. Those little Genelecs do appeal a lot actually. I’ve measured and they will fit OK. I think I may have a front runner!

Thanks. Those little Genelecs do appeal a lot actually. I’ve measured and they will fit OK. I think I may have a front runner!

Pair the 8010s with a USB DAC with balanced outputs (something like a Focusrite Scarlett would be fine) and I really don’t think you’ll find a better desktop setup at that size.

You’ll need a pair of balanced Jack to XLR cables to hook them up to the Scarlett.

Last edited:
...or you could wait for the train to leave the station and mount a slightly larger monitor on top of the unit - might even sit closer to ear height (especially if positioned upside down).

Has @gibbsy visited this thread yet? He'd love the photo you uploaded in post#5 - so much stuff visible in the background. Beware - he studies every uploaded photo with forensic zeal!

Pair the 8010s with a USB DAC with balanced outputs (something like a Focusrite Scarlett would be fine) and I really don’t think you’ll find a better desktop setup at that size.

You’ll need a pair of balanced Jack to XLR cables to hook them up to the Scarlett.

Thanks, I reckon this is what I want to go for. The thought of having some proper active monitors appeals much more to me. However...this is getting to be a bit more than I was looking to spend. Do you think I could get away with using something like this to connect my Mac directly to the speakers initially and get the audio interface later?

...or you could wait for the train to leave the station and mount a slightly larger monitor on top of the unit - might even sit closer to ear height (especially if positioned upside down).

Has @gibbsy visited this thread yet? He'd love the photo you uploaded in post#5 - so much stuff visible in the background. Beware - he studies every uploaded photo with forensic zeal!

Ha ha, I did cast my eye over it before uploading and blanked out one of two personal details.

Although you can’t really tell from the photo the top of the unit is quite a bit higher than ideal for placing the speakers. It had occurred to me. I think a pair of the little Genelecs on those lowest shelves angled up slightly is what I’m going to go for.

Thanks, I reckon this is what I want to go for. The thought of having some proper active monitors appeals much more to me. However...this is getting to be a bit more than I was looking to spend. Do you think I could get away with using something like this to connect my Mac directly to the speakers initially and get the audio interface later?

Yep, that looks like it's wired correctly, so should do the job :)

Could you place speakers horizontal on the first shelf or on the top shelf angled down slightly

Another one to consider...
My only thought with Genelecs and similar powered monitors is that they are designed to be a bit ruthless in their portrayal and are not always a relaxing listen! The smaller ones do need a sub if you enjoy a bit of weight to your music. They soon become quite tiring to listen to otherwise.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom