1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommended Center for KHT 2005's

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Kootuu, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hey,

Ok I'm just wondering out of interest, if I could match a new center speaker to my current Kef KHT2005 MK1 speakers. I'm currently using the "center" provided but as they are all the same, what difference does it make? It's just that I've heard a lot of talk that the MK1 speakers are not up to much when it comes to delivering dialogue. Sure, it sounds ok to me, but I can definately tell it's a bit too bright almost, I dunno, something is lacking.

Would the MK2 2005.2 speakers be any better? I would only need one (Then I could have 6.1 :D ) or would I be better of getting a seperate center that is actually dedicated to this position? Not really sure on price range, if you guuys could give me a few options, then we will see :)

Cheers,
    Chris

2. jfw08

jfw08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recomend getting a centre speaker, I spoke to Kef customer service & they recomended the Q9c to best match the eggs. I agree with you having the egg as a centre just isnt quite there. So anyway i went & bought an extra egg & a Kef coda 80c for 7.1 & it sounds & looks far better on top of the tv.

3. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Q9c does look rather nice. But at £250 or whatever it is for a new one, out of my price range really.

What other options are there? How much is a coda 80c?

I'm assuming the center needs to be a Kef so it balances correctly with the others?

4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    How about the Q6C at £130.

5. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I'll be putting up an advert in the AV forums tonight for some Kef speakers I'm selling. One of which is the Kef Q95C.2 (it's the predecessor of the Q9C) which might suit your needs, haven't decided on a price yet though.

As it happens the reason I'm selling the Q95c.2 is that I've bought a Q9C, I personally would of thought it would be a bit overpowering for a set of eggs? My brother in law uses a Q9C with his Kef Reference 201's!!

6. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks for the replies.

The Q6C looks rather nice, much like the Q9C but not as much :) I had recently heard Kef were producing silver finishes to their Q line, is the Q6C still a new product or is it old now?

Q95c.2 looks good too, I don't know too much about the difference in performance compared to the Q6C or Kef Eggs however, looks like a beast of a speaker to me :) Depending on your price and when you decide to sell, I may very well be interested.

7. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I've started it at £110 inc P&P in the classified section, I checked out some old ebay auctions and it seems like a reasonable start but I will negotiate! The one I'm selling is the point 2 version, it's important to remember that as it's slightly better spec'ed and tends to go for more than a standard 95c.

AFAIK the Q95C.2 is in the same range as the Q9C which is what replaced it. The Q6C is a new smaller model which has a much smaller cone than the two 9 series, it is also less powerful and can't go as loud. I've not really looked into it that much tbh...

8. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Oh right, just wondering about the difference in power between the Q95C.2 and the Q9C, because you mention the Q9C might overpower my eggs so would the Q95C.2 not have the same effect?

I wasn't actually looking to purchase anything at the moment, gotta pay off the debts first :) I just wanted to get an idea on what was available. I'll keep a check on it though, if it's not selling in a while then that would be better for me :)

9. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I'm afraid the speaker is sold.

As for the difference between the Q95c and the Q9c, good point! To be honest I'm not sure, but I'm sure the Q9c is more powerful though. Also the Q9c is massive! It's one of the biggest centre speakers I've ever seen (granted I've not seen an awful lot), it certainly would stand out! Whereas the Q95c has much more conventional stylings and will sit much more discreetly on your TV, discreet being what the eggs are good for. Maybe I'm wrong about the overpowering thing, I just know that it can keep up with References! TBH I don't know that much about the egg range...

10. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Yes I saw it was sold, ahh well :)

Yea I was slightly concerned with the size, rather large compared to the 28" TV...

If I do get a Q series center, it will probably be the Q6C, seems resonable in size, not sure about quality of sound compared to the eggs though? Will have a look around.

Thanks for your help :)

Cheers,
    Chris

11. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Out of interest Crustyloafer, where did you see the Q6c for £130?

Cheers,
    Chris

12. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Where ever it was remember that it will have to be nearby as Kef do not allow any retailer to sell online or deal with a customer remotely as they think it "devalues the brand". They would prefer for you to go in and discuss your needs with a hifi store personally, which IMO is a little daft, especially for existing Kef users!

So unless the place selling it is near you then you could be lumbered. Unless of course you have a Kef reseller that price matches, for example Superfi are pretty good at price matching retailers that are outside their area, as Superfi have outlets nationwide, so I think if it's cheap in London you can get it price matched at the store in Manchester, because Superfi have branches in London...

13. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Local place to me is Audio-T in Epsom, they price match everything :smashin:

Well, I'll wait and see where Crustloafer saw it for £130 before enquiring. Audio-T are doing it for £149 so would like the price match :)

14. Mr Pleasant

Mr Pleasant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I borrowed a Q6c from my local Audio T and had it running for a few days with my eggs. No doubt about it, it's a superb match for the eggs and a quality speaker. Well worth a try.

15. Ali K

Ali K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Picked up a Q6c from Superfi in Camden Town for 135. They have several bracnhes all over th country.
    On a related note, does anyone have any info on the reliability of the package. I am currently in Iran and the local dealer still doesn't have them in, I was thinking about picking a set up in the UK and was wondering about warranty issues. I don't really feel like hauling a 30 pound subwoofer back to get it repaired!!!!