• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Recommended camcorders in the £250-300 price range?

King Mustard

We are looking for a new camcorder in the £250-300 price range.

We heard CCD sensors are better than CMOS but no idea.

It should be at least 720p (or i720?).

Any make/model recommendations?

senu

Distinguished Member
1) Dont worry about CCD VS CMOS you may not have a choice anyway.. what are you shooting?? and what is your desired output?
2) Dont worry about 720p 1080i
There are enough threads here with similar queries have a read and make a short list for coment.. otherwise wait for suggestions re models

King Mustard

1) Dont worry about CCD VS CMOS you may not have a choice anyway.. what are you shooting?? and what is your desired output?
2) Dont worry about 720p 1080i
There are enough threads here with similar queries have a read and make a short list for coment.. otherwise wait for suggestions re models
General usage, really. Holidays, family videos etc.

There appear to be many models in the price range.

I've decided I want it to:

• be hard drive-based
  • have at least a 20x optical zoom
  • have a HDMI port
I've done some research and from what I can gather, my best options are:

• [-]Sony DCR-SR58E (60x)[/-]
  • JVC Everio GZ-HD620 (30x)
Any thoughts?

Any other suggestions?

EDIT: Decided to not consider the Sony DCR-SR58E any longer. I guess if no one suggests a better camcorder than the JVC Everio GZ-HD620 within the next few days, that's the one I'll get :)

Last edited:

senu

Distinguished Member
Dont buy one with HDD
  1. Quality is identical
  2. You pay more
  3. Battery life is worse
  4. Transfer will require tethering to a PC +/- proprietary software instead of a simple USB card reader
  5. HDD can fail ( with all your video) and wont take kindly to vibration( theoretically)
Sure SD media can fail too but recovery software abound and worst case it wil be limited to just that one card
20X optical Zoom is a lot and handheld you are sue to suffer shake. besided a 20x magnification of a small sensor may not be all that
I hope suggestion re specific models will come but JVC camcorders in recent times have often been a " mixed bag " with some hits and some lemons.. spend wisely
No Panasonic in your shortlist? Granted Canon and Sony tend to be costly but in chosing a JVC are you simply going with your pocket?

King Mustard

Dont buy one with HDD
  1. Quality is identical
  2. You pay more
  3. Battery life is worse
  4. Transfer will require tethering to a PC +/- proprietary software instead of a simple USB card reader
  5. HDD can fail ( with all your video) and wont take kindly to vibration( theoretically)
Sure SD media can fail too but recovery software abound and worst case it wil be limited to just that one card
20X optical Zoom is a lot and handheld you are sue to suffer shake. besided a 20x magnification of a small sensor may not be all that
I hope suggestion re specific models will come but JVC camcorders in recent times have often been a " mixed bag " with some hits and some lemons.. spend wisely
No Panasonic in your shortlist? Granted Canon and Sony tend to be costly but in chosing a JVC are you simply going with your pocket?
Memory card camcorders in my price range are the same cost as hard drive camcorders but memory card camcorders couldn't record for anywhere near as long. Granted you can get more memory cards but that's all extra cash spent on the whole thing and they can be easily lost when you're out filming unless you carry a bag, which is effort. Besides, the JVC camcorder I mentioned comes with a memory card slot too, so I get the best of both worlds.

I went for the HD620 because Geek.com and CNET gave it very good reviews.

Most PCs (including my own) don't have memory card readers but practically all have USB 2.0 ports.

The HDD can fail if it wishes to. I intend to move the contents of the hard drive to the PC every time I am on it so hardly anything will be lost. If it fails in the first year, manufacturer's warranty. Second and third years, insurance. Fourth+ years, either time for a new camcorder anyway or switch to using memory cards until getting a new camcorder is due.

senu

Distinguished Member
Each to his own. :)
I have used and enjoyed both types ( and I still have HDV tape models a well anyway) but unconvinced that HDD models are " better"
Some camcorders have up to 32Gb built in memory ( in addition to cards) in case cards fill up
Most video shoots should really not be that long
Still Digital camera which use cards, not HDD make you realise that you can live without them..:)
HDD failure refers more to video data loss not so much warrantee issues
HDDs based camcorders can also " crash" , and a reboot is needed this can lead to loss of irreplaceable data
With card recovery software abound if there is any corruption in data written

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom