Recommended cable strippers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by TheLethalOne, Feb 5, 2014.

1. TheLethalOne

TheLethalOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hi,

I have purchased some Audioquest FLX SLIP 14/4 to go with my Dali Ikon speakers.

In the past I have always battled with scissors and stripped away half the wire as well, I think it is time I got something reasonable to do the job and look after my new speaker cable, would appreciate some advice as I don't know where to start, is there a particular tool I can buy which wil do a good job of this for me? thanks.

Many thanks.

2. Alan Mac

Alan Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +248

I have used a pair of Wire strippers similar to these from RS for many years. I would recommend this type of wire stripper:

Buy Cable Strippers Automatic wire stripper,1-3.2mm strip RS PD1100 online from RS for next day delivery.

Screwfix sell an apparently similar wire stripper:

Forge Steel Heavy Duty Wire Strippers | Cable Strippers | Screwfix.com

Alan

3. TheLethalOne

TheLethalOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  4. Alan Mac

Alan Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +248

I can recommend this automatic wire stripper as I have actually used one successfully:

KS Tools 115.1029 Automatic wire stripper, red, 1-3.2mm: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

The Draper 6-way crimping and wire stripping kit is in my opinion quite unsuitable for use with loudspeaker cables.

The Draper 19779 wire stripper might just be OK if you have strong wrists but I much prefer the automatic type.

Alan

5. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,900
    i use the 1-3.2mm automatic strippers, as they are designed for specific wire sizes they do the job properly.

6. TheLethalOne

TheLethalOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I appreciate that many thanks, will give them a go.

7. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
    The Draper Wire stripper kid recommended by Alan actually has two wire strippers. The one with the Red handle is an "Automatic" wire stripper. I really like these. They self-adjust to any thickness wire. There is a dial on the end so you can control the tension of the actually insulation cutting blade. Once you adjust them to not cut the actual wire, you are pretty much set to strip any common gauge wire quickly and easily. I've got one similar, and it really works well. Plus they are not that expensive. I'm not necessarily endorsing this particular brand, as I know nothing about it, rather I am endorsing this style of stripper. The one I have is exceptionally cheap, and not really that good of quality, but it still works very well.

Strippers like the KS tool and similar linked to also strip wire very well, but I think they have one notch for each gauge wire, you need to put the wire in to the right gauge slot or notch. I've used these in a professional setting, and they do work well.

But I prefer the other type (Draper and similar) because it self-adjust to just about any common wire size, and strips very clean.

Steve/bluewizard

8. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,900
    I have tried the self adjusting types and found they don't work with all insulation types so stick to the fixed size type.
    I only use a certain range of wire sizes so no problems for me.

9. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
    That's a matter of personal preference. For they type of wires I use, the Self-Adjusting is fine.

While there are tons of cheap and expensive wire strippers, if I did not get the Self-Adjusting one size fit all type, then for serious wire stripping the KS style tools work exceptionally well. This is the type most commonly used on all the professional environments I've worked in.

KS Tools 115.1029 Automatic wire stripper, red, 1-3.2mm: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Though I have stripped a lot of wire simply using these very common and very cheap, blue handled Crimper tools.

Draper 33079 6-Way Crimping and Wire Stripping Kit: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

The Red is the one-size-fit-all self-adjusting, and in the Draper set, the blue handled is a common crimping tool that also strips the most common gauges of wire.

I guess it depends on how much money you want to spend.

Steve/bluewizard

10. D.D.D.

D.D.D.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
  11. dogfonos

dogfonos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: