1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

recommended amplifier power for speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by guyb, May 25, 2001.

1. guyb

guyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi All

Being a bit of a newbie I need some help with the recommended amplifier power and speakers. The amp I am getting (Denon AVR 3801) gives out 105 watts per channel. The speaker I am going to buy state –

Fronts –
    Recommend amplifier power – Watts RMS 10-90, Recommend power handling – Watts Peak 120.

Rears –
    Recommend amplifier power – Watts RMS 10-80, Recommend power handling – Watts Peak 120

Are these speakers going to be OK for the Denon amp?

Also what difference would there be if I used the following speaker specification for the fronts instead of the spec listed above for the fronts bearing in mind that the amp gives 105 watts per channel? Would I notice any difference?

Fronts –
    Recommend amplifier power – Watts RMS 10-120, Recommend power handling – Watts Peak 180.

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    First of all the wattage rating alone is no exact measure for compability between amp and speakers.
    In short I would not see a problem using the speakers you named with the Denon, in fact it is easier to damage a speaker with a low powered amp than one which is too powerful (so called 'clipping').

The recommendation range of xx-yy Watt by the manufacturer is of course a good guide, but if the amp is a little bit more powerfull I won't consider this as a problem.
    I mean surely you would not match those speakers with a 300Watt power amp, but as long as you stay resonable close it should be fine.

When you hear distortion just turn the volume a bit down to avoid damage to amp (unlikely since it usually is fitted with a proteciton circuit) or speakers.

Study the impedance (Ohm) and sensitivity (dB) of the speakers to figure if they represent a high load to the amp. The higher both figures the less load to the amp.

[ 25-05-2001: Message edited by: Reiner ]